News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

or another major Delta hub like Salt Lake City which I believe we previously had. Calgary has 2 a day.

Yes & currently Delta Airlines 2 Salt Lake City US🇺🇸- Calgary YYC , Canada 🇨🇦 flights ✈️is operated by the Embraer plane which seat 70+ passengers. SLC isn’t as a big of a hub for Delta compared to Atlanta, Minneapolis, Los Angeles or even Detroit.

Personally Salt Lake City isn't a priority. Very little direct traffic so it will eat into viability for other more desirable hub routes. Despite this I wouldn't be surprised to see it restarted, it was flown for many many years from YEG.

Personally Salt Lake City isn't a priority. Very little direct traffic so it will eat into viability for other more desirable hub routes. Despite this I wouldn't be surprised to see it restarted, it was flown for many many years from YEG.

I thought it was a bigger hub than it is, my apologies. But I still wouldn't mind seeing an old flight like that return.

I'd concur - non-existent reasoning for anyone to actually travel to SLC from YEG, but back in the day - to get anywhere in the States - this was one of the only ways to get across the US.....I've flown there dozens of times.

Westjet with some nice frequency increases this summer. I think Ottawa and Montreal were already discussed but some good connection opportunities through YEG will continue to be available from YQR, YLW, & YXE in particular.

Very nice to see Atlanta daily and the increase on Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon.

11x weekly Ottawa is crazy, such a swing from no service last year. Ottawa and Montréal additions are likely to counter Porter.

Unnecessarily weak service though to Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie. Double or 3x daily should be the goal for these key regional destinations from YEG. Minneapolis at only 5x weekly is also weak. Coming from double daily on most days in the summer to 5x weekly for the winter is a big seasonal drop and I would say needlessly conservative from WestJet, especially considering the still relative lack of transborder service that's restarted from YEG after the pandemic.

With the increased domestic frequencies more connections should start showing up through YEG which is overall good news for the airport. Overall not bad at all!

Canadian airports aren't amazing, but have you seen most airports in the US? Fully privatized airports have completely different incentives. Often you will see areas that intentionally don't have seating to drive people to retail, inadequate security screening that requires you to arrive hours earlier, paid WiFi and generally poor infrastructure. I mean, it's not like you can shop around to select the airport with the best customer experience -- in Edmonton, you essentially have to pick YEG or maybe YYC.

The current model of independent corporations that operate airports and pay rent to the government seems like it is working. I doubt selling off airports is going to result in any better passenger experience.
I just flashed back to the last time I was at LAX.

In and of itself this would be fine, but we all know it'll just serve to make flights more expensive. X is the new low fare, and what you used to get inside X you now pay extra for. Disappointing, no matter how much PR they'll spin about it not making things more expensive, we know it will.

Very nice to see Atlanta daily and the increase on Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon.

11x weekly Ottawa is crazy, such a swing from no service last year. Ottawa and Montréal additions are likely to counter Porter.

Unnecessarily weak service though to Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie. Double or 3x daily should be the goal for these key regional destinations from YEG. Minneapolis at only 5x weekly is also weak. Coming from double daily on most days in the summer to 5x weekly for the winter is a big seasonal drop and I would say needlessly conservative from WestJet, especially considering the still relative lack of transborder service that's restarted from YEG after the pandemic.

With the increased domestic frequencies more connections should start showing up through YEG which is overall good news for the airport. Overall not bad at all!
I agree with most of this. I feel Edmonton is already fairly well served domestically, so I feel the big expansion in domestic service, particularly to the east is an effort to respond to or put newer competition out of business. Hopefully it is the former and not the latter, which would ultimately be anti competitive.

Parts of this do not make sense, such as the weak service to Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie. If you are going to expand service to various cities to east, then you should also want or need more people from there to connect through Edmonton. Minneapolis probably needs more service too. Westjet seems to be more positive about Edmonton at the moment, but they still seem to be holding back on transborder a bit. I wonder if again they are doing the minimum to try keep another airline out.

I agree with most of this. I feel Edmonton is already fairly well served domestically, so I feel the big expansion in domestic service, particularly to the east is an effort to respond to or put newer competition out of business. Hopefully it is the former and not the latter, which would ultimately be anti competitive.

Parts of this do not make sense, such as the weak service to Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie. If you are going to expand service to various cities to east, then you should also want or need more people from there to connect through Edmonton. Minneapolis probably needs more service too. Westjet seems to be more positive about Edmonton at the moment, but they still seem to be holding back on transborder a bit. I wonder if again they are doing the minimum to try keep another airline out.

Yes & regarding Fort McMurray YMM / Grande Prairie YQU ,WesJet has up to 4/5 flights ✈️ a day to both of those cities from Calgary YYC & very limited flights from Edmonton YEG to there, which I’m not surprised about .

As YEG is the main connection point in Alberta for nonstop Bus Service on Red Arrow, Ebus & Coldshot buses to YMM /YQU✅ . These 3 bus 🚌 companies must have the passenger demand on the YEG- YMM/YQU routes over WestJet flying up there from YEG✅.

Last edited:

Back