What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Love these rec centers. Our family uses the Commonwealth facility quite often. Would be nice to expand a central facility like that. Overall I think we are fairly well served by rec centers in this Edmonton (and surrounding cities)

I am so thrilled this is going forward. I live in the Secord neighborhood and this is what everyone has been wanting for years. For the transit part of the site the LRT final stop is Lewis farms which is only 1.7 km away from the site of the rec center.
Too far to walk. Bad area to bike. Bus transfers make transit too time consuming. So everyone will drive there unless they're within 3 blocks.

The new rec centre is very good news for people living in that part of the city. However, I agree from a planning point of view, it should have been closer to the LRT.

I suppose this is an example of how the city needs to take a more holistic approach to planning things and not just look at each project in isolation.

Perhaps the LRT line will eventually be extended to be closer to it . I hope the city considers that soon.

Instead of whining and bitching about the lack of an LRT stop, why not contact city council about this and demand an extension of the Valley Line to the new rec centre?
Go on, I dare you! :)
There's no space unless they don't twin weber greens...which people already complain about. Imagine the uproar.

The tracks would have to be raised after the LF station to cross that intersection, which there isn't space for since the station is ground floor. Both the LRT and Rec Centre are designed. To retroactively try to add this will be crazy expensive.

No need to dismiss fair critiques 😁

I got a pretty good response about this from Councilor Knack - he would like to see LRT go to the rec centre and will likely ask Administration about what would be required to do it.

I'd encourage all of you to reach out to the appropriate Councilor on issues that concern you. I think we have a really responsive Council now that are willing to listen to their constituents and put motions forward that make sense to them. Unfortunately, the public sector is stove piped at every level and often it takes public intervention to point out line of sight to other parts of the organization.

That said, it is good to have the discourse on these issues here as well. Just be mindful that it doesn't move the needle in the same way as speaking up about it might.

Ian, you should post this and the new Velodrome in SSP Canada….it’ll blow their minds….lol. I would but I’ve been banned from that place…..😂

Just looking at the specs of this thing…..forgot how Massive it’s gonna be! The 2 indoor rinks are sort of just there…..off to the side plus an EPL branch…..had no idea. Plus the gymnasiums are on the 2nd floor! Never seen that before and the fitness Center on the 3rd. Going to be the biggest Rec Center on the planet….certainly bigger and better than anything YYC can muster! I see PCL all over this thing

Last edited:
Just looking at the specs of this thing…..forgot how Massive it’s gonna be! The 2 indoor rinks are sort of just there…..off to the side plus an EPL branch…..had no idea. Plus the gymnasiums are on the 2nd floor! Never seen that before and the fitness Center on the 3rd. Going to be the biggest Rec Center on the planet….certainly bigger and better than anything YYC can muster! I see PCL all over this thing
Servus Place in St Albert, 3 rinks, (One is a Junior Hockey level rink). 1 recreational rink. large fitness centre on the second floor, the field house houses the 2 soccer fields, and at least 3 basket ball courts in one area the same size as the soccer fields. Running track and additional fitness areas are on the upper 2 floors of the field house. The is an aquatic centre but no swimming pool yet. ( there is talk about adding one). There is a bar and restaurant and a physio clinic plus numerous support offices. I think Clairview would be closer to Lewis farms as it also has a library but also a joining School. Edmonton and area is going to be well served by fitness centres in a few years.

Back