News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Frank Seravelli crunched the numbers and Skinner has the worst save percentage of any playoff goalie who has played at least 15 playoff games since 2005. Let that sink in - of the 69 goalies that met this criteria, Skinner's save percentage was 69th!! This is professional sports and I'm cheering for the Oilers to please win one cup while we have 29 and 97. The Oilers cannot play him anymore - it would be gross incompetence if they do. With even average goaltending, we should be up 3-0 or at least 2-1 in this series. Also, can Knoblauch channel some inner Slats and bring an ounce of passion or truculence to his approach - the Canucks are feeding off of Tocchet's gritty character and its working - Knoblauch seems like the nice guy who does volunteer community league coaching.

Probably the right decision. LETS GO OILERS!

So last game, let's say Skinner only lets 2 goals in on 15 shots.... that's still just a 0.867 % and yet we would have potentially won IF the guys in front of him actually put the puck in the net; we are making their goaltender look like a fucking god out there because of lacklustre chances. Goaltending percentages are far from a complete story and as a former goalie, facing a shot every 4 minutes (on average) is really, really hard to get into a rhythm for. He must get his GAA down and % up, but he is in a tough spot as per below.

So far in this series, we have had double the number of giveaways, half the number of blocked shots and are losers in the face-off dot. For me, that is far more telling than his save percentage and while he MUST be better and needs to make that one extra key save a game, the guys in front of him simply are not good enough.

For a team 4th in the league for GF this year, we are simply not putting the puck in the net given the fact that we know our D and tending are unlikely to win us games and that's not the end of the world. Our offence is what we are known for, pay for and ultimately need to put a spotlight on. We knew that we need to win many of these games 5-3, 6-4, 7-5 etc. and yet have had almost no secondary scoring at all.

Look at this part of our team, a team in front of our tender and their +/- (especially 2-3 guys), their pts and their shooting %. Absolutely brutal and far more responsible for where we are right now.

Games. G A PTS +/- (in Grey) PIM shots shooting %
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 8.40.37 AM.png

Aside from the goaltending question, if our two elite offensive players are going to be paired up with our top goal scorer of the season like we have done our last two games, they better produce 2 or 3 goals a game at least not counting PP - especially if they are on the ice half the game.
We've weakened other lines and significantly reduced their ice time - wondering if they are having a hard time getting in groove.

This has been the pattern the last few years though with three different coaches in playoffs and it hasn't been successful in the end. Hope this time is different.

We are messing around with lines and play again... which did not work well for us in the past.

I had a chance to see this game in Rogers Place and really enjoyed the game, the result, and how smoothly and quickly everything went from security to ticket-taking to getting to our seats to how quickly the washroom lines moved through to the smooth exiting after.

The one big complaint? Pricing. Not the ticket pricing but the concession pricing. Two lukewarm hotdogs with only packets of mustard and relish available for condiments and two Molson Canadians. Fifty two dollars!!!

When you look at expected goals against, this is the best performance our D has played all playoffs. For a Canucks team that seems to be able to create plays out of nothing, this is how you win.

I had a chance to see this game in Rogers Place and really enjoyed the game, the result, and how smoothly and quickly everything went from security to ticket-taking to getting to our seats to how quickly the washroom lines moved through to the smooth exiting after.

The one big complaint? Pricing. Not the ticket pricing but the concession pricing. Two lukewarm hotdogs with only packets of mustard and relish available for condiments and two Molson Canadians. Fifty two dollars!!!
I went to the WNBA game a couple of weeks ago. No way I was going to pay their exorbitant prices for concessions we went to The Cavern on 104 had three quality beer and an excellent cheese plate for sixty bucks. Much better value.

Splitting up Nurse-Ceci and limiting their minutes seems to have been a wise choice. However, if I were Knoblauch I would be thinking strongly of playing Stecher in place of Ceci. The gaffes and poor reads are getting too difficult to ignore.

Back