News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Heartbreaking. Panthers played a hell of a tight game. Oilers looked a day late and a dollar short. What a run.

Oilers were slow in the first and second period, that was the difference. Couldn't get a bounce when they finally got their legs moving in the third.

This sucks so bad.

Not just because the Oilers didn't win, but because yet another southern American team with 8 fans won.

Hockey lost tonight.

I will be preparing a CapFriendly for the Oilers offseason, that will hopefully be ready before the website goes dark for good (thanks Washington)

In some ways 2006 was a more painful loss, but in other ways this was worse. Very difficult to sleep after coming so close but ending up just short. Hell of a season and playoffs by the Oilers. I hope we get a great GM to replace Holland.

Oilers Offseason 2024,

The goal here being trying to keep as much of the contributing core together as possible, while cutting out weak links.

Cap Saving:
As with any offseason in the modern NHL, the most important thing you have to start with is cap dumps, in the form of trades or buyouts.

First up is Campbell, he needs to be bought-out, no one is going to trade for an AHL goalie with a 5+ million dollar salary.

Next is Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci. Both were just treading water the entire playoffs, and were costing the team goals at an extremely high rate while contributing very little at the other end. You cannot have that happen if you're trying to win a Stanley Cup. Both players need to go for cap space.

It doesn't matter who they're traded to or for, as long as most of their salary is gone. You could probably move Nurse, plus a couple sweeteners to a team like San Jose or Chicago for nothing in return I've made the trade of Darnell Nurse, a 2nd and 3rd round pick and Tyler Tullio to the Sharks. Ceci, is much easier to move with a lower salary. You could probably get a player or two in return.

Next is Evander Kane, who has been very inconsistent and injury prone. He's a great scorer when healthy and at his best, but he has trouble getting there especially with all the injuries piling up. I could see a team like Carolina or Boston, who both have a decent amount of cap space being willing to trade for him. I have the Oilers trading Kane to Boston for the Bruins 4th round pick this year and the RFA rights to Jesper Boqvist, who can fill a role in the bottom-6. Boston needs scoring and has lots of cap space, so I think this trade works out well for them.

With these 4 moves, the Oilers save approximately 20 million in cap space. Meaning that in total they have over 30 million, which is lots of room to make moves.

Resignings:

RFAs:

The Oilers have 2 notable RFAs:

Dylan Holloway:
Hollywood had an excellent playoffs and I expect him to be a great, top-6 player moving forward. He spent most of the season boucing between the NHL and AHL though, and hasn't really broken out yet in the regular season. Which helps with the Oilers leverage in contract negotiations. My guess is both sides want a bridge deal. Something under 2 million for 1-2 years. I signed him at 1.75 million for 2 years.

Philip Broberg:
Broberg has even less leverage than Holloway. Though once again he looked great in the playoffs, he coudln't put it together in the regular season and didn't even play until the Conference Final. Another bridge deal, this one for less money. maybe 1 million for 1 year.

The rest of the Oilers RFAs can be signed for league minimum, the only one I could see potentially factoring into the lineup next year is Raphael Lavoie, and he didn't really impress too much in his short stint up with the team. Maybe James Hamblin, but I doubt it.

UFAs:

The biggest and most important signing is Draisaitl, get it done ASAP. My guess would be just over 13 million at max term. This won't kick in until next season though.

I think the Oilers need to try to bring back as much of the forward core as possible. They were all great, especially come playoff time.

Mattias Janmark:
Janmark may have been the Oilers best player (besides McDavid) in the Finals. Seravalli says Janmark would like to forgo extra money for term as he is tired of bouncing around the league. The Oilers should jump at this chance. I think sign himi at 1.5 million for 4 years. This may seem like a lot but given his playoff performance, he's going to get a raise from his current 1 million $ salary.

Adam Henrique:
Henrique is a player I would love to bring back. He played great both as a winger in the top 6 and a 3C. He's a real jack of all trades type of player, a bit like Nuge lite. He's gonna be a bigger ticket as he had over 20 goals this year and has been veyr valuable in other areas of the game as well. At 34 though, he's not gonna get a ridiculous contract. I would like to get him at just over 4 million for 1 year.

Connor Brown:
It's gonna be difficult to bring Brown back and I have no idea what to pay him since he essentially two completely different seasons. From being honestly pretty terrible in the regular season, to becoming a key contributor, particularly on the penalty kill in the playoffs. You can't give him more than 1.5 million since his bonus is already counting against the cap next year. I'd give him 1.25 mil for 1 year. I doubt anyone would offer him as much or more.\

Calvin Pickard:
Pickard was good in a backup role, but not good enough to warrant a massive contract. Bring him back at just under 1 million.

Sam Carrick:
Bringing him back at just under a million. He was good in his role, nothing earth shattering but a good 4C with some physicality.

Troy Stetcher:
Proved he can slot in as a good 7th D in case of injury, not a regular but every team needs guys that can step in when needed. 1 x 1 for him.

Guys I'm not keeping and why:

Vinny Desharnais:
I love Vinny, but rumour is he's going for the money this offseason, which kind of makes sense for him considering he may not last in the NHL and had a pretty good season last year. The Oilers can't afford to overpay anyone. If he's unwilling to sign for less than 1.5 million, let him walk. My guess is the Leafs will have interest and will give him more money.

Warren Foegele:
Foegele had a great regular season and playoffs and as a result is going to want a raise. If he isn't willing to take a pay cut to stay, also let him walk. He's great but replaceable with a cheaper or better option on the open market.

Corey Perry:
I would keep him around, but I think he's gonna retire.

Free Agent Signings:

With Nurse and Ceci gone, the back end needs some new pieces:

Alexandre Carrier:
Carrier, is an underrated gem in Nashville. I've brought him in for 4.5 million for 3 years, he's a really good two-way (but mainly defensive) guy. Exactly what the Oilers need on the right side.

Collin Miller:
Not anything too exciting but will get the job done as a shut down guy on the third pairing.

Next, is the big hole in the top 6 at the wing. This has been an issue for the Oilers for a while, and the type of player they need here is no secret. The Oilers lack finish, they have a few guys who can finish at a decent rate, but outside of Draisaitl (and Kane when healthy and on his game), they don't have a genuine sniper. I see 3 options here, which I'm going to list from most to least likely.

Pavel Buchnevich:
With one year left at 5.8 Million, his contract is pretty reasonable. There's been rumours about him wanting out of St Louis. I'm not sure what the Blues are thinking for next year. In my opinion they should probably tear it down and retool while guys like Kyrou, Thomas and Binnington are young, so when they reach their primes, the team is really good. If this is the direction they're thinking of going, Buchnevich may be the odd man out. Scoring 27 goals last year and reaching 30 once, he's an excellent shooter and exactly the type of player the Oilers need in their top 6. To get him, I think the Oilers will need to give a first round pick and a prospect, maybe a depth piece as well.

Jake Guentzel:
Guentzel is going to want a big contract given how well he played for both Pittsburgh and then Carolina this year. My guess is he resigns with the Canes, but of he's willing to come I think it would be silly not to seriously consider bringing him in at 7-8 million a year.

Steven Stamkos:
This is a long shot. Apparently the relationship between pending FA Stamkos and the Lightning has frayed and Stammer is disappointed that the Lightning don't seem too interested in engaging in extension talks with him. I think they will eventually come to an agreement, but if nothing happens, I would think the Oilers would be near the top of his list. He's Canadian and as an aging veteran, is likely looking to join a contender for a chance to win a cup. I doubt this would happen, but if it did he would fit in great as a winger for either McDavid or Draisaitl.

I'm going to go with the Buchnevich trade here, as I feel it's the most realistic thing to happen. The Final Trade is Pavel Buchnevich for Xavier Bourgault a first round pick and a 4th round pick.

Anti Raanta:
I've signed Raanta as well at just under a million. He had a terrible season last year but if he can find some kind of form he could be an okay backup or third string behind Pickard.

With all of these moves, the team looks like this:

Oilers24-25.jpg

This team is not leagues better than the 23-24 team, but it is slightly better with the changes on defense and addition of Pavel Buchnevich. This team doesn't need to be leagues better though, and it's going to be very hard to make it so given cap constrictions, they pretty much made it as close to the Stanley Cup as you can possibly get without winning it.

I think the Nurse trade is definitely the most unlikely move here. The 9.25 million dollar contract is very difficult to move. I do think the pot is sweetened enough with the additions of the picks and Tullio that a team like the Sharks would take a swing at it.

How do you persuade Nurse to waive his NMC to go to San Jose?
Give him a fresh start to find his game away from the pressure, media and fan attention of a hockey crazed market trying to win a Stanley Cup. Now I don't know Nurse or what he's feeling like, but the level of criticism he faces for his contract and sub-par play is very similar (if not more intense) that Larsson who was very happy to leave Edmonton for a fresh start in upstart Seattle.

I do get your point though, and San Jose would definitely be a harder sell than Seattle at this moment. I think he wouldn't be too opposed to the idea though, considering how much he gets clowned on non-stop.

What happens to Draisaitl? Last year of his contract so they have to either sign or trade. How much to extend his contact?

Back