News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That Flames noin-goal in Game 6 was a goal.
You're right. Doug Gilmour did score the winning goal. But Morel made the wrong call and waved it off. First he said that the puck wasn't in, then he claimed that he had blown his whistle to stop play. Neither was correct. This led to the now-iconic footage of Terry Crisp jumping up on the Flames bench and screaming: "Ask him! Ask the cameraman!" Unfortunately, this was prior to video review in the NHL.

The Flames were robbed of their win by bad officiating. But later one of the Flames players (I think it may have been Mike Vernon) admitted that it was their team's own fault that they had let the series get out of hand so much that they could lose it on a bad call.

5-0 blowout LFG

This has been me for a full month texting into the radio shows as friends and media keep talking about our chances against Colorado - which is two series ahead of where we are now.

The Hockey Gods are cruel during times of hubris.

giphy.gif

Coach Woody is doing his job. First he pulled Stu in favor of Soup to start the 2nd period, then he let Desharnais sit so that Broberg can play more. Now tied at 3-3 heading into the 3rd!

Desharnais was playing very poorly and made two of their goals much easier than they should have been.

Good kill... but it's now or never boys.

93 - seems unsure out there and while he has been playing a two-way game, needs to find a way to get scoring

73 - looks awful, period

71 - needs to use his speed more often and keep throwing pucks at the net

21 - put him in front of the net, tell him to (cleanly) hit everyone out there and make it hard to be comfortable out there

25 - please focus on playing your position and ONLY jump up if you are covered off... such a liability

56 - sadly, looks out of place and his size is catching up to him

Sooooooooooo.... who starts tomorrow night? My take:

Skinner:
An incredible season with below average D (same as Campbell) and yet had decent numbers. The goals he has let in this series were generally not his fault and/or PP opportunities. He sees the puck very well, but does seem to be challenged with that one super clutch save a game that we need. Does L.A. have his number, I don't think so, but has our D's.

Campbell:
Shaky all season with a few bright spots, not great puck management and yet an amazing 'save' by coming in cold last night and shutting things down. I feel like our team plays up when he is in, but he never exudes being confident enough to deliver.

I go with Skinner, period.

*or totally mess with L.A. and bring back Smith!

Personally I say start Skinner again tomorrow, but there's no reason you shouldn't start both at some point. It's unrealistic and frankly a bit ridiculous that teams expect their starter to start every game for 2 months straight in the playoffs. If a team did that in the regular season they would rightly be called out for putting too much on one guy. It's even worse in the playoffs as (depending on how the series end up), they could routinely be playing 7 games in 14 nights. The games are more strenuous and stressful as well. I think start Skinner but if Campbell can get hot down the stretch in the playoffs as he has been known to do, he could be the guy later on. Whichever one you start tomorrow, start the other Thursday.

Other than that,

We need more from Nuge, he had an unbelievable regular season but has looked lost so far. Desharnais needs to either sit out or have sheltered minutes. He had a couple times earlier in the season where he started to struggle, then after giving him a break he came back and played much better so maybe giving him a bit of a rest, either by sitting in the press box or playing under 10 minutes a night. Broberg has looked much stronger than him in the playoffs so far, so he should take those minutes.

I do like continuing 11-7, it always gives unique line combinations and makes it difficult for opponents to line match Connor and Leon. Danault has been shutting down Connor all series long 5v5 but I have faith he will find a way through it. I'm super glad that Hyman and Kane found the back of the net last night as they were two of the guys we needed to get going and hopefully they can carry that energy over into the next games. Our biggest asset is our potent offense and up until last night our #3,4 or 5 guys (Kane, Hyman, Nuge) were not doing a whole lot of anything so with two of those guys getting big goals I feel a lot more confident about our chances if they can carry that over.

The bottom-six has looked really strong imo, they haven't had the offensive success but have hemmed the Kings in their own zone more consistently than our top 2 lines. For me the standouts are McCleod, Ryan and Foegele who have played extremely well as a 3, I think its just a matter of time before one of these guys scores a couple big goals. Also Kulak looked amazing last night, skating really well and exiting our zone with control very successfully.

The reffing last night was actually pretty good and fair, but the 3 previous games especially Game 3 were horrible. The ratio of powerplays is still heavily favoring the Kings however, I believe that refs are not giving the Oilers many chances on the powerplay because we score pretty much every time we get out there, which should absolutely not matter but it seems like it does to them. The Kings are diving and embellishing a lot and I don't know if it's just not being caught by the officials or if they're intentionally not calling them, but if you get them on one or two embellishment calls it should make it a bit more manageable. That's not to pin everything on the refs though the Oilers have to be more disciplined, the Hyman penalty last night was very dumb and absolutely a penalty (though it was also embellished with an extra fall at the end for good measure).

In my opinion here's what the Oilers need to win the series:

1. Keep playing as they have as other than a few stretches, the Oilers have largely dominated offensive zone and possession time, as well as shots for pretty much the whole series so far
2. Stay out of the box, no stupid penalties
3. Goalies have to play decent but also don't need to be world beaters, they just need to not let in a ton of softies as our offense should be able to pick up the slack
4. Clear the front of our net better, the Kings have scored a big percentage of their goals off of rebounds so not giving up good secondary chances will be key
5. Get in Korpisalo's eyes more, he is reading the play very well so screening him, tipping pucks and getting to rebounds is going to be key for generating offense. Also generally hanging around the net a bit more, they have been consistently coming directly into our crease either during or after the play trying to get in our goalie's heads and we have not responded with the same

I just wonder how much gas the boys have left in the tank. The club had an all-world season: McDavid becoming the first player in 27 years to score 150+ and winning the Art Ross, Rocket Richard and almost certainly the Hart and Lindsay, Draisatl with another incredible season, Nuge scoring 100+ points for the first time in his career, Skinner having an amazing rookie campaign that has generated lots of Calder buzz (even though I know Matty Beniers is getting it), the Oilers having the best powerplay in NHL history and finishing higher than an Edmonton team has in decades...do they have anything left after all that?

The guys seem exhausted and lost. I can't find any other explanation for the fact that they are having so much trouble with an L.A. Kings team that, let's face it, should be the least of their worries this post-season. If Edmonton wins this series (and the way it's been going, that seems like a genuine question at this point) all the clubs it's going to face in the second and potentially third and fourth rounds will be better than Los Angeles. If the Oilers are scrambling to finish off a team as clearly inferior to them as the Kings, what chance will they have against the Golden Knights or Avs or even the Bruins in a Cup final?

It often seems like the players on Canadian teams are well and truly done by the time the postseason rolls around. They're out of gas, they lack focus, they seem to be salivating over summer holidays to exotic locales and can't wait to get on with their vacation. That's what I'm seeing with the Oilers right now. They have so much talent at multiple positions and yet they're struggling against what will be (if they advance) the easiest opponent they can expect to get in this playoffs.

Back