News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

@TravellingChris It's not only about who's the highest seed, in the playoffs. LA was probably the worst matchup for the Oilers in the west, by far. Their defensive game and dump-and-thump offense are like kryptonite to us. Add to that one of the fiercest rivalries in the league's recent history, and you have a series that is that tough. Every single hockey analyst and commentator has predicted this to be one of the, if not THE hardest series in the first round, and either LA's or Edmonton's toughest matchup. And then you have Korpisalo, who's been a beast of a player so far, and probably stole us win on game 1.

Either Vegas or Winnipeg are better matchups for us, and even the Avs don't scare me as much as LA. On the other side, I'm with Ian... Carolina scares me more than Boston, but they're both the hardest opponents we can get from the other side, if we ever make it to the cu final.
Carolina's goaltending isn't as good as Boston. You guys are telling me you'd rather have Freddie Andersen and Anttii Raanta over Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman?

Carolina's goaltending isn't as good as Boston. You guys are telling me you'd rather have Freddie Andersen and Anttii Raanta over Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman?
I'm not talking only about goaltending. I'm talking about the general matchup. By watching their games, I think Carolina is a worse matchup for the Oilers than Boston. It's no always about the best team, but the match of the play styles.

Same situation with Vegas. I think they're a better team than LA, but the matchup is better for us than versus LA.

I'm not talking only about goaltending. I'm talking about the general matchup. By watching their games, I think Carolina is a worse matchup for the Oilers than Boston. It's no always about the best team, but the match of the play styles.

Same situation with Vegas. I think they're a better team than LA, but the matchup is better for us than versus LA.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.

Boston scares me more than any team in the league. Their top two centers aren't even playing. They've been a wrecking ball all year. That won't stop in the playoffs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.

Boston scares me more than any team in the league. Their top two centers aren't even playing. They've been a wrecking ball all year. That won't stop in the playoffs.
Boston is a scary team, not denying it, but so are we. I was just going over the subreddits from the top contenders in the East, including Boston, and there are people shitting their pants after the last two games, because if we beat LA and start to go on a roll, this Oilers' team is too dangerous. And that's considering that McDavid still hasn't found his best form (not playing bad, but not nearly as much of a menace as he was in the regular season), neither has Nuge. The only idiots out there that, generally, don't have a shred of fear of the Oilers are Toronto fans, for whatever reason.

And I don't know, I have a feeling that they are more beatable, at least to us, than Carolina. I may be completely off, but it's much more a matter of feel and a little bit of game tactics analysis than the opposite. I will stand my ground regarding the West, though. No team scares me more than LA, and I am, now, very convinced we'll beat them. We'll of course loose some games, but in a best of 7 series, I don't think anyone in the West can beat us, other than maybe LA (horrible match up) and Colorado (especially if healthy. But we are just as dangerous to them as they are to us, and pound per pound, I think we are a slightly better team this year, maybe as much as they were better than us last year).

IMG_1683.jpeg

A really interesting tell about how strong the Oilers offensive prowess is McLellan’s refusal to deploy anything about a passive trap, even when losing going into the last half of the third. He knows he cannot let the Oil have any open clean ice even with his Kings being one hell of a tight defensive group.

Back