News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's been mentioned but you gotta think McDavid is still injured. Lots of close game and their 1 and 2 aren't scoring any goals.

@JasonGregor
Last season #Oilers went 40-13-9 in final 62 games (after a 10-10 start) to reach 109 pts.
To reach 95 points (normal playoff cutline) they need to go 40-20-10 in their final 70 games this season.

1699660987902.png

Woody fired!!! This is a very poor decision imo. None of this is his fault, although I do think he should have adjusted the defensive system. This was a stretch of awful goaltending and a lack of luck in the offensive end, both of which are not in the coaches control. I have no idea who they're thinking will replace him but I hope they look within again, or just anywhere but the revolving carousel of awful coaches that have been fired 7 times already.

I think Woody will get a job quickly, there are a few teams looking for a potential coaching change and he has an excellent record. Ottawa will likely replace DJ Smith this year if they continue to struggle. Don't be surprised if we see Jay as the coach of the Senators (or another team in a similar situation) before the end of the year. Here's hoping this doesn't stall a potential resurgence for the Oilers. Often the new coach bump means the team will look really good and have a great record for about 10 games, but we won't see until later on whether his replacement is actually a good coach.

Never really warmed up to his style/approach and overriding calmness, but I feel for the guy as this was on the GM and players, but Woody lost the room and the writing was on the wall.

Can somebody fill me in on this choice though? Seems odd for so many reasons... or temporary.

Another tie back to the old boys club with Smith too??!?!?

---

HARTFORD, CT – New York Rangers President and General Manager Chris Drury and Rangers Assistant General Manager and Hartford Wolf Pack General Manager Ryan Martin announced today that the club has named Steve Smith as interim Head Coach of the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack.

Smith, 60, is in his third season with the Wolf Pack. He was named an Assistant Coach with the club on August 24th, 2021, and spent the last two seasons in that role under Head Coach Kris Knoblauch. Smith spent two games as the Wolf Pack’s interim Head Coach during the 2021-22 season while Knoblauch was with the Rangers due to COVID-19 protocols.

Prior to joining the Wolf Pack, Smith served as an Assistant Coach with the NHL’s Calgary Flames (1997-98), Edmonton Oilers (2010-14), Carolina Hurricanes (2014-18), and Buffalo Sabres (2018-21).

Smith enjoyed an 804 game NHL career, playing with the Oilers, Chicago Blackhawks, and Flames. He scored 375 points (72 g, 303 a) in his career, and won the Stanley Cup three times as a member of the Oilers (1987, 1988, 1990).

Earlier today, the Oilers announced that Wolf Pack Head Coach Kris Knoblauch has been named the team’s new head coach.

Knoblauch was named the seventh head coach in Wolf Pack history on July 29th, 2019. He posted a record of 119-90-18-14 in 241 games as the Wolf Pack’s Head Coach.

Hope he doesn't become known locally as "the Knob" (he kinda has a "lauch" on that nom de plume; Kris, you know it aren't easy -- these jokes that is).

Back