The maximum run would be 30-feet not 40 and likely much less than that -- in a switchback configuration only 15. The path of travel for a wheelchair from either street parking or a bus stop would be far greater than that. "Mountains out of mole hills". If the disabled patron is driving him/herself there, they would have weather-protected underground parking and access to a lift/elevator and interior access. The code mandates have all been developed by disabled architects -- how do I know that? I have to take an exam every two years to familiarize myself with the latest updates in ADA requirements.
The renders don't show any steps on the NW corner and no ramps that I can see along the streetscape, so its safe to assume that any ramp would be located on the NE or SW corners. It may be a mole hill to you, but it wouldn't be for a lot of people. From my experience, 90% of the time grading like this is proposed, it is purely a money saving decision, I would be surprised if there was a legitimate reason for it, but am open to being proven wrong. Yes, this distance is relatively small compared to what someone may have travelled to get there, but its an unnecessary and not-insignificant addition. To get to the corner retail location could potentially be 80m depending on where you're coming from. I know you're a booster and don't like to be critical of most development, but I don't see why something like this needs to be defended.

1670962080733.png

^^^^ It is looked at that way -- it is the intent of code mandated disability accommodations. There are many flaws -- for example the truncated cones that are placed in sidewalks to "alert" people of a change in safety in the path of travel are for many wheelchair-bound an obstacle, especially if they have extra sensitive nerve sensibility -- so sometimes solutions are just the best possible outcome for a general population. My brother next to me in lineage is also wheelchair bound and he has to constantly think of his own accommodation for things that the ambulatory take for granted. About the "Hat" development... I think that the emphasis is on the wrong syllable in this instance considering the number of older buildings that have no accommodation at all!

@EtoV -- first of all we're talking feet not metres (that was how I was introduced to the argument). The vertical rise (a reasonable guess) is 2.5 feet (less than one metre) and at a ramp slope of 12:1 (code mandate) would be 25 feet of lateral run (slightly less than 8 metres).

Renderings are not construction documents -- it is a waste of time to speculate on the material accuracy of renderings.
I've done plenty of renderings before, not sure why you would put effort on modeling stairs and a raised interface if it won't exist. Grading interfaces are some of the biggest pains to model.

And I am talking about metres. I'm not talking about the length of a ramp, I'm talking about the distance to even get to a ramp. 40m to the ramp, 40m back to get to the retail space, ramp length not included. A one way travel distance of up to 80 metres to access certain retail.

But regardless, you don't think it's a big deal, I do, we aren't going to agree so I think we can probably end this conversation thread lol.

The maximum run would be 30-feet not 40 and likely much less than that -- in a switchback configuration only 15. The path of travel for a wheelchair from either street parking or a bus stop would be far greater than that. "Mountains out of mole hills". If the disabled patron is driving him/herself there, they would have weather-protected underground parking and access to a lift/elevator and interior access. The code mandates have all been developed by disabled architects -- how do I know that? I have to take an exam every two years to familiarize myself with the latest updates in ADA requirements.
ADA apply to the USA. Does the Alberta Building Code adhere specifically to ADA?

Building Codes in both Canada and the U.S. incorporate suggestions from the ADA -- the ADA is not a code-writing organization; it is bent on research and education.

Renderings are not construction documents -- it is a waste of time to speculate on the material accuracy of renderings.
And what the final build is some different from the Con Docs. The only truly accurate drawing is maybe the As built. (Sometimes).
Canadian National Building Code (CNBC). Section 3.8.3.4
Rise and Run
CNBC, a wheelchair ramp must have 1 inch of rise for every 12 inches of ramp, commonly known as run. This makes the required wheelchair slope a ratio of 1:12. Less slope--1:16 or 1:20.
Landings
A ramp must have a level surface known as a landing at the top and the bottom of the ramp. Wheelchair Canada says the landing should typically be 60 inches by 60 inches.
doors.jpg
buttons.jpg

The use of vestibules can also be an issue. Can a person in a wheelchair open both door without having to readjust in the space.
The new accessable updates at St Albert city hall also have large buttons and foot controllers as well.

Last edited:

Back