From this afternoon. 2nd floor pour for tower portion.

20230217_123556.jpg

Very interesting. NADG is no joke, but they're not exactly local - nor does this project align with a most of their canadian portfolio. Seems like they mostly do shopping centres and that kind of thing...wonder why they chose this spot to go residential?
There's low vacancy and strong rental growth in this area because of the University and Hospital facilities in the area. Not to mention that the social disorder concerns are mostly absent here, but you still have high density. I.e. desirable high density, transit access, major employers, investor friendly- ticks many boxes.

There's low vacancy and strong rental growth in this area because of the University and Hospital facilities in the area. Not to mention that the social disorder concerns are mostly absent here, but you still have high density. I.e. desirable high density, transit access, major employers, investor friendly- ticks many boxes.
Exactly, I am surprised more development hasn't happened here years ago, but sometimes people overlook what is right in front of them because they see it all the time, so it takes someone from somewhere else to spot the obvious.

This site was held by the UofA (until it's recent disposition) for a long-term development site, but was put to market as part of Kenny's mandate for post-secondary institutions.

NADG is not involved in this one any longer (to the best of my knowledge) and is now with Highpoint Developments out of Calgary.

This site was held by the UofA (until it's recent disposition) for a long-term development site, but was put to market as part of Kenny's mandate for post-secondary institutions.

NADG is not involved in this one any longer (to the best of my knowledge) and is now with Highpoint Developments out of Calgary.
Oh, I see that makes sense. Too bad a local company did not snap this up when it become available, but its better for the site to be developed than have someone continue to sit on it.

Oh, I see that makes sense. Too bad a local company did not snap this up when it become available, but its better for the site to be developed than have someone continue to sit on it.
Frankly, I disagree with the local company perspective, here. As much as I love the idea of supporting local, I really believe Edmonton would benefit A LOT from having outside developers building here. If we could attract some solid ones from ON and BC, it would be brilliant, considering that they would even have interest in advertising their sales in those provinces. Not to mention that it would likely help raise the bar for new developments (and ether push the likes of Regency up or out, for example).

Frankly, I disagree with the local company perspective, here. As much as I love the idea of supporting local, I really believe Edmonton would benefit A LOT from having outside developers building here. If we could attract some solid ones from ON and BC, it would be brilliant, considering that they would even have interest in advertising their sales in those provinces. Not to mention that it would likely help raise the bar for new developments (and ether push the likes of Regency up or out, for example).
I suppose there are some good outside developers, but there are also clueless ones like Lamb who come in with great fanfare, take the name of an existing building, don't understand the market here and I am looking right now at the still empty lot they left which continues to languish.

I agree about Regency, they are an embarassment to the city and even themselves. They should do us a favour and just go away.

I suppose there are some good outside developers, but there are also clueless ones like Lamb who come in with great fanfare, take the name of an existing building, don't understand the market here and I am looking right now at the still empty lot they left which continues to languish.

I agree about Regency, they are an embarassment to the city and even themselves. They should do us a favour and just go away.
I agree. Hence why I am only in support of developers that actually come and build (like this one), even if it is something smaller and less ambitious in the beginning. If we get some of those developing those nice low and mid-rises in places like Halifax or Vancouver, which are usually lower cost and lower risk, it would be nice.

I am a firm believer in competition, as a form of improving quality and/or prices on the market, as long as the incentives to it are given responsibly.

NADG and Highpoint are partners on this.

Back