News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Screenshot_20230802-114900_Samsung Internet.jpg

I thought this was interesting enough to share and highlights a growing issue nationally.

Colleges/universities bringing in a lot more international students - it's one way to increase revenue given post secondary cutbacks from provinces. Certainly impacts housing issue in some jurisdictions. In Ontario, foreign students have increased 240% in 7 years with those post secondary institutions building almost zero additional housing units for them.

Less of an issue in Edmonton I take it in terms of housing options.

Good points about international students. It may be more difficult for them to find some place from a distance. Also, they might not be as tied to any one place and consider or look at various post secondary institutions in Canada.

So when word starts to get out that student housing is very hard to find and expensive in some places in Canada, they may start to look elsewhere.

View attachment 497019

I thought this was interesting enough to share and highlights a growing issue nationally.

Colleges/universities bringing in a lot more international students - it's one way to increase revenue given post secondary cutbacks from provinces. Certainly impacts housing issue in some jurisdictions. In Ontario, foreign students have increased 240% in 7 years with those post secondary institutions building almost zero additional housing units for them.

Less of an issue in Edmonton I take it in terms of housing options.
Hence why UBC is building like crazy on their lands. 24k more homes being planned.
CA503B75-E6A8-428B-B21D-D9693B275833.jpeg
8FCAB30F-8FF5-419B-859F-C23785B822F6.jpeg

My father lives on the UBC campus lands and since the early 90s they have been consistently building out the campus with housing, amenities, commercial and even some office. It is at a point where it feels like a proper community now and has pretty significant density in parts.

I'd love to see a few more projects on the north campus, especially along Sask Dr. in front of EAS.

A couple of towers ~20-30 storeys with townhouse podiums and a podium top cafe overlooking the city.
Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 11.03.00 AM.png

Last edited:
My father lives on the UBC campus lands and since the early 90s they have been consistently building out the campus with housing, amenities, commercial and even some office. It is at a point where it feels like a proper community now and has pretty significant density in parts.

I'd love to see a few more projects on the north campus, especially along Sask Dr. in front of EAS.

A couple of towers ~20-30 storeys with townhouse podiums and a podium top cafe overlooking the city.
View attachment 497276
Agreed. And East of HUB would be great. Better TOD potential for residential/student housing there too.
609EB3F1-01D1-4BE5-84C4-A4D3F623CA3F.jpeg

Sentimental value as I parked there during Uni.

Also, new development.

Am I reading this right? @IanO wants The Hub parking lot retained because of his sports car?
This, after seeing him whine endlessly about surface parking lots not being redeveloped? Where was his sentimentality then?
I say replace that parking lot with a new mixed-use tower (similar to the Maclab Garneau) c/w underground parkade please!

I feel like this is the new normal now for the city’s population growth. We’ve got enough immigrant communities of a large size here that international migration here will continue no matter what happens. Add in the new interprovincial migration patterns, and yeah. This is going to keep going for quite a while.

So Alberta grew by 184,000 people. If we think it’s reasonable to have received about 1/3 of this, that would be about 60,000. Knack quotes 40,000.. I assume that is just for Edmonton. Do we think the metro region grew by something closer to 60,000? Is there anywhere we can confirm this quickly?

So Alberta grew by 184,000 people. If we think it’s reasonable to have received about 1/3 of this, that would be about 60,000. Knack quotes 40,000.. I assume that is just for Edmonton. Do we think the metro region grew by something closer to 60,000? Is there anywhere we can confirm this quickly?
Not too sure! StatsCan might have estimates by CMA but the City probably has its own statistics crew in charge of this as well.

All I know is if this rate continues, and increases (which I’m honestly a bit confident of, just based on migration trends, I’m assuming we’ll have a base of 20-25k international migrants, 5-10k interprovincial migrants, 2-5k intraprovincial migrants and 5-10k natural increase ) Edmonton will add almost 200,000 people in the span of four years.

That’s absolutely bananas.

And before anyone says I’m just pulling numbers out of thin air, I’m basing it off these StatsCan estimates. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020003-eng.htm

I’d argue that international migration would be the most stable out of all these categories (almost all of whom move into multifamily rentals, it’s very rare in my experience for new immigrants to immediately buy property, and I can state that from my own family’s transition from rental to SFH housing)

Back