News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Without knowing where on the SRT the problems are (if the problem is isolated to one or more stretches and not just every metre of track that snow can reach, that is), what happens in other cities isn't useful information.
It would be less useful, but it wouldn't be useless. Given the variety of landscapes and cityscapes that each system goes through, it's highly unlikely that SRT is so unique that it would be absolutely uncomparable to any other systems. If it really is just one or two stretches that are problematic, then it is likely a design/operation problem with the SRT, not an inherent problem with ART technology. Which is why we need more data in this discussion from both Toronto and around the world (which might be readily available and could very well show that ART sucks in general), but not simple assertions that ART sucks because the way it's implemented in Toronto sucks.

It would be less useful, but it wouldn't be useless. Given the variety of landscapes and cityscapes that each system goes through, it's highly unlikely that SRT is so unique that it would be absolutely uncomparable to any other systems. If it really is just one or two stretches that are problematic, then it is likely a design/operation problem with the SRT, not an inherent problem with ART technology. Which is why we need more data in this discussion from both Toronto and around the world (which might be readily available and could very well show that ART sucks in general), but not simple assertions that ART sucks because the way it's implemented in Toronto sucks.

I think we have a technology that works very well already and should just expand its use to replace the less than ideal ICTS/ART/ALRT that we have now.

8R5KT.png

BTW, it's fashionable hereabouts to attribute Eglinton LRT to David Miller or Steve Munro alone, but here's a City of Toronto proposal for an Eglinton LRT from 2001. This is one year older than the 2002 subway plan, and it predates Miller's election as mayor by two years.

2001 | Reducing Car Dependence Transportation Options

8R5KT.png

BTW, it's fashionable hereabouts to attribute Eglinton LRT to David Miller or Steve Munro alone, but here's a City of Toronto proposal for an Eglinton LRT from 2001. This is one year older than the 2002 subway plan, and it predates Miller's election as mayor by two years.

2001 | Reducing Car Dependence Transportation Options

True but it also has a Sheppard East Subway extension, a Crosstown Go route, Bloor West subway and Danforth/SRT extensions. The Eglinton Line doesn't go to the airport, this would be a significant ridership node. Also it provides no (or none that I saw) costing for the plans and only passing mention of the need to tunnel the central portion, which is the issue I have with the plan; we are spending subway type dollars (particularly in the central portion) for less than subway type service.

I know what you're getting at though.

Eglinton has been through a gaunlet of RT prescriptions over the years. Even an underground BRT line was seriously considered a few years back. What never wavers though is the fact that over 100,000 people utilize the corridor every day, all day; and Eglinton's on the threshold of 10,000pphpd which it could easily obtain a la converting over some 58 Malton commuters. To that end, long-term investment in subways over all other modes has the value-added benefit of attracting the highest route conversion yield of any of the three modes that have been considered. It's a shame that we never got to witness what the ridership levels would have been like on an Eglitnon West stubway from the Allen to Hwy 400 (Black Creek). Given that it would have intercepted one of the most highly used bus routes in the system and would serve a continuous commercial retail strip; chances are that for a line of its size it'd be a top preformer, with cries from all Torontonians to expend it further to which the gov't likely would oblige and not go: "Oops, this corridor can't sustain metro. Lets forget about what we have started and go build LRTs running through mixed traffic."

Oh and, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but by the looks of that thick bold black line there by the mid-section of Finch Avenue, it does seem that not too long ago city officials did find the Hydro Corridor to be of most practical use for north-of-401 crosstown trips. A mere 5 years prior to Transit City.

True but it also has a Sheppard East Subway extension, a Crosstown Go route, Bloor West subway and Danforth/SRT extensions. The Eglinton Line doesn't go to the airport, this would be a significant ridership node. Also it provides no (or none that I saw) costing for the plans and only passing mention of the need to tunnel the central portion, which is the issue I have with the plan; we are spending subway type dollars (particularly in the central portion) for less than subway type service.

I know what you're getting at though.

I think you grossly overestimate the demand for airport trips. Because you can imagine using it occasionally, you assign greater weight to it as a node. Even at airports with great transit connections transit modal share remains low. Airports serve a low volume of trips heading to dispersed destinations - which is inherently hard to serve with transit.

Not that there shouldn't be service if the province is willing to pay for it why not - but it isn't a panacea.

There is a petition online to save the LRT. Im sure it has been posted or likely something similar, but thought i would leave it here for anyone interested in petitioning to save the crosstown Eglinton LRT

www.savethelrt.com

At least with the Blue 22, they will get the aristocrats from the airport to downtown. Us peasants have to continue to use the buses from Kipling Station. Not that I will use either of them. Would have used the Eglinton LRT, though, to get to the airport.

Oh and, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but by the looks of that thick bold black line there by the mid-section of Finch Avenue, it does seem that not too long ago city officials did find the Hydro Corridor to be of most practical use for north-of-401 crosstown trips. A mere 5 years prior to Transit City.

But but but, LRT is so pretty! *Grin*

The Toronto Transit Commission has received the Minister of the Environment's ‘Notice to Proceed’ for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

Why am I not jumping with joy? It's a bit like getting half a slice of bread.

Is the Metrolinx planning to run 3 LRT trainsets on the underground section?? The ECLRT EA states that the underground will only have 2 LRT trainsets with an option to extend the platforms to 3 if demand warranted.

With Metrolinx chopping off a good portion of the above-ground LRT, they should just make the entire Eglinton Crosstown LRT grade-separated. I don't even care if it's HRT or LRT, as long as the entire line functions as subway. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're going to do that.

Back