News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Someone on Munro's site mentioned that with the revised schedule having the SLRT and the Eglinton LRT opening at about the same time, Metrolinx may be thinking of just running through service.

Someone on Munro's site mentioned that with the revised schedule having the SLRT and the Eglinton LRT opening at about the same time, Metrolinx may be thinking of just running through service.

Really screws over people on Eglinton East.

Really screws over people on Eglinton East.

But decreases the number of transfers needed to get to the Yonge Line, would give some of them a much longer 1 seat ride than they are used to, and they get to transfer before crush load happens much more often than those that get on at Bloor. Over the very long term might help balance out traffic enough that it makes sense for the DRL to run up to Eglinton as well to help relieve Yonge.

I actually agree with the lrt connecting with the SRT. If the SRT isn't going to be converted to subway then this plan does make some sense.Sure It might screw over people on EGlinton East but the reality is that no matter what plan we do someone is going to get screwed. Without any bias I would think the Sheppard Ave west of yonge to weston road is getting more screwed then the people of Eglinton EAST.

But decreases the number of transfers needed to get to the Yonge Line, would give some of them a much longer 1 seat ride than they are used to, and they get to transfer before crush load happens much more often than those that get on at Bloor. Over the very long term might help balance out traffic enough that it makes sense for the DRL to run up to Eglinton as well to help relieve Yonge.

The key word being "some". That "some" is in the minority. The majority of passengers heading to the core still lose out. Eglinton East riders still lose out....and that's not exactly a piddling amount of people. It' probably far better to link the Eglintons and force a transfer from the SRT than the other way around.

It' probably far better to link the Eglintons and force a transfer from the SRT than the other way around.

I would agree with this statement if and only if A. we knew for sure eglinton ave east was for sure being built. and even if that was true I would still have to consider if B. They are going to convert the SRT to HRT or are they converting it to LRT> If they convert it to LRT and A. doesnt happen then a continous LRT line makes the most sense.

Really does Eglinton AVE East REALLY need LRT when there are so many other corridors which make more sense?

When the Queen Subway was originally proposed in the 1940's and 1950's, it was to use light rail (or the streetcars they had available then). Just like North America's first subway in Boston. The Queen subway would have only gone from Trinity-Bellwoods Park to Logan Avenue, where the vehicles would have branched off. In the east, one branch would have continued along Queen Street East or Kingston Road, the other branch would have continued along Gerrard to the Luttrell loop on Danforth Avenue. In the west, one branch would have continued on Dundas Street West to the Runnymede loop, and the other continued on Queen Street East and eventually The Queensway and Lake Shore Blvd. to the Long Branch loop. Things turned out different, but remember that that Queen subway was to use light rail (using existing streetcars at the time). It is my feeling that the Queensway right-of-way was to have been part the Queen subway, and could be now, if the Roads Department will ever give its holy blessing to true transit priority traffic signals.

The Eglingon Crosstown LRT will be a subway (period). That subway will run from just west of Keele Street to around Don Mills Road. However, instead of ending at those end points, the light rail vehicles will eventually continue on the the Airport in the west and Kennedy Station in the east.

If the Eglinton line was to be heavy rail, it would not continued past Keele or Don Mills. With light rail, we still get a subway, but now, in addition, rapid transit beyond.

I've seen various information that the headways in the tunnel will be shorter than those outside of the tunnel - does that mean that they'll be short-turning certain trains at each end of the tunnel? I can't think of how they'd maintain those different headways otherwise. Sort of defeats the purpose of the "one-trip" ride for people heading out from downtown - either they have to change trains or wait for one of the non-short-turning trains to come by.

I've seen various information that the headways in the tunnel will be shorter than those outside of the tunnel - does that mean that they'll be short-turning certain trains at each end of the tunnel? I can't think of how they'd maintain those different headways otherwise. Sort of defeats the purpose of the "one-trip" ride for people heading out from downtown - either they have to change trains or wait for one of the non-short-turning trains to come by.

Yes IIRC at one point it was suggested that 3 car consists would run exclusivly in the tunnel and 2 car consists would operate the full length of the line. I don't know what the status is now though.

But shhh you don't want to kill the myth of a one ride trip along the eglinton corridor.

The Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit project has been approved by the Ontario Minister of the Environment.

See this link on the TTC website.

Excellent. Now let's pit some shovels in the ground!

But shhh you don't want to kill the myth of a one ride trip along the eglinton corridor.

If the 2 car trains give you a one ride trip across Eglinton how is it a myth? During rush hours there are subways short turning at St.Clair West... does that make a one ride trip to Downsview station a myth?

If the 2 car trains give you a one ride trip across Eglinton how is it a myth? During rush hours there are subways short turning at St.Clair West... does that make a one ride trip to Downsview station a myth?

It might be a myth if they never build the section west of Jane.

A one ride trip from downtown to York U is certainly a myth until they actually build TYSSE.

I remember when the Bloor and Queen streetcars ran MU trains (multi-unit) of two PCC streetcars during the rush hour. At the end loops, TTC personnel would manually connect or disconnect the couplers. Today, they would have automatic controls to do that. The negative being was that they had to keep the driver in the second car as a conductor, which is why the TTC eventually switched to the articulated streetcars on Queen for a savings on employee costs.

streetcar-4000-70.jpg

Also, the heavy rail subways would run 6 car (or 8 car Gloucester) trains during the day, and disconnect 2 cars from the train for evenings runs as 4 car trains (6 car Gloucester). Today the passenger is such that all the trains are 6 cars, except for the Sheppard heavy rail subway, which uses 4 car trains at all times.

Last edited:

Back