News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The BIA recently finished the 2nd phase of streetscape improvements to Islington Ave and Satterly Rd. Looks much better, we'll see how long it lasts, nice to see that they took the billboards down too.

Here's some before and after photos from streetview.

Before:

satterly 1.JPG

After Ph1:

satterly 3.JPG

After Ph2:

satterly 5.JPG

Before:

satterly 2.JPG

After Ph1:

satterly 4.JPG

After Ph2:

satterly 6.JPG

South before:

satterly 8.JPG

After Ph2:

satterly 7.JPG

South before:

satterly 9.JPG

South After Ph2:

satterly 10.JPG

Attachments

• satterly 1.JPG
    satterly 1.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,325
  • satterly 2.JPG
    satterly 2.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,268
  • satterly 3.JPG
    satterly 3.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,352
  • satterly 4.JPG
    satterly 4.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,239
  • satterly 5.JPG
    satterly 5.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,309
  • satterly 6.JPG
    satterly 6.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • satterly 7.JPG
    satterly 7.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • satterly 8.JPG
    satterly 8.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • satterly 9.JPG
    satterly 9.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,250
  • satterly 10.JPG
    satterly 10.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:
The Sheppard & Weston shopping plaza that has been delayed for 2 years is finally taking shape.

This corner unit will be home to Sunset Grill and Starbucks.
IMG_20200215_121000.jpg

IMG_20200215_121010.jpg

This back unit will host Wendy's, Mucho Burrito, Osmos and Hasty Market.
IMG_20200215_121017.jpg

Phase two will have a food store. medical and a Mary Browns.
Sheppard-Weston-June-18-2019-pg2-1600x2071.png

update March 31

Still a lot of room for Phase 2 & 3. On the right side its rumored that there will be a shoppers or small grocery store type urban sobeys.

IMG_20200331_114404.jpg

Sunset Grill/ Starbucks building almost finished
IMG_20200331_114813.jpg

Wendys, Mucho Burrito building also up, glass installation in the coming days.
IMG_20200331_114737.jpg

I took the day off to go hiking today..........gorgeous weather, went out and hiked the Niagara escarpment (Bruce Trail) just north of Milton.

Got off trail close to rush-hour, know that 401 would be a mess............so took the scenic route for a bit then went down and took Steeles.

Surprisingly.........really not bad throughout Brampton.

But btw Islington and Weston Rd. it clogged up to total jam.

Took 4 cycles to get through a single traffic light.

I managed to get out of that mess at Arrow Rd............which is part of Emery Village, (ya knew there was a tie-in)}............

You know it moved well and had nice'ish tree-lined boulevards for most of its length......

There's even very small, but landscaped medians on Sheppard @ Arrow.

Not the first time I've been in that area and seen incredible jams on the E-W routes (Finch was close to dead-stop as well)

Is there a particular issue in the area that causes this..............

Nowhere else in suburbia or Toronto was that badly gridlocked (Took Sheppard to VP before heading south to civilization)...;)

I would have thought the TYSSE and substantially improved GO Barrie service would have helped in this area.......but seemingly not enough.

I took the day off to go hiking today..........gorgeous weather, went out and hiked the Niagara escarpment (Bruce Trail) just north of Milton.

Got off trail close to rush-hour, know that 401 would be a mess............so took the scenic route for a bit then went down and took Steeles.

Surprisingly.........really not bad throughout Brampton.

But btw Islington and Weston Rd. it clogged up to total jam.

Took 4 cycles to get through a single traffic light.

I managed to get out of that mess at Arrow Rd............which is part of Emery Village, (ya knew there was a tie-in)}............

You know it moved well and had nice'ish tree-lined boulevards for most of its length......

There's even very small, but landscaped medians on Sheppard @ Arrow.

Not the first time I've been in that area and seen incredible jams on the E-W routes (Finch was close to dead-stop as well)

Is there a particular issue in the area that causes this..............

Nowhere else in suburbia or Toronto was that badly gridlocked (Took Sheppard to VP before heading south to civilization)...;)

I would have thought the TYSSE and substantially improved GO Barrie service would have helped in this area.......but seemingly not enough.

I would say a major lack in grade separated transit options in those areas far from downtown is a major factor in the horrible traffic. Too many people are forced to drive. I really wish the city would get serious about installing at least BRT ROW's on all those overly wide suburban arterial roads as well as fully separated and protected bike lanes. The space is there.

Car oriented indeed, but improves the walk score of the sub development where it is located.
IMG_20200916_145017.jpg

IMG_20200916_144956.jpg

Last edited:
Finch is bad right now because of LRT construction.

In addition, the 400 ramps cause heavy congestion around Norfinch, Oakdale, Signet and Arrow. Plus the Finch-400 clover is the only complete interchange in that employment area. I assume this funnels everyone through one set of ramps and causes backups. The lights at this interchange also snarl up Finch.

Steeles is always bad - in that area and further east. Much of the traffic comes from the large number of offices and industrial businesses between Islington and Norfinch.

Back