News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Finch is bad right now because of LRT construction.

In addition, the 400 ramps cause heavy congestion around Norfinch, Oakdale, Signet and Arrow. Plus the Finch-400 clover is the only complete interchange in that employment area. I assume this funnels everyone through one set of ramps and causes backups. The lights at this interchange also snarl up Finch.

Steeles is always bad - in that area and further east. Much of the traffic comes from the large number of offices and industrial businesses between Islington and Norfinch.

Presumably, when complete, the Finch LRT will make some difference at the margins.

What do you think would be the next biggest help?

I'm thinking an E-W crossing of 400, btw Finch and Steeles that gets you to Jane.

Expense aside I can see there being objections as any such road will cut through existing residential beyond Norfinch.

But I don't think the effect would be material if the new road didn't get at least to Jane.

That makes me think it should be Oromont-> to Shoreham drive.

York U would love that idea..........LOL

The other obvious alternative, w/o building a completely new road would be to take Fenmar across presumably linking up w/Checkers then Hullmar.

I think rebuilding the 400-Steeles ramps into a complete interchange might help. I agree with you that east-west links across the 400 would be good to have as well.

I think rebuilding the 400-Steeles ramps into a complete interchange might help. I agree with you that east-west links across the 400 would be good to have as well.

At Steeles this would surely attract more traffic rather than less. '

I'm not saying there is no virtue in the idea, but right now, if someone wants to get on the 400 NB they have to go elsewhere.

Steeles is already a mess.

An origin-destination study needs to be done to see where commuters and/or freight is coming from and trying to go to, to ascertain the best longer-term alternatives.

But the obvious move to help on E-W roads is to infill one other choice. (the additional 400 crossing).

That is preferable, in my mind to widening Steeles which would only make it more unwieldy.

There are only three crossings of Highway 400 between the 401 and Steeles - Wilson, Sheppard, and Finch, without any secondary crossings. Highway 404 to the east, built over 25 years later, has two secondary crossings (Van Horne and McNicoll). The employment lands with their many warehouses and production plants, contribute to it as well. While most office workers continue to work from home, the trucks are still on the road and the blue collar workers still have to commute.

New residential project on weston rd south sheppard ave.

IMG_20201021_212311.jpg

At Steeles this would surely attract more traffic rather than less. '

I'm not saying there is no virtue in the idea, but right now, if someone wants to get on the 400 NB they have to go elsewhere.

Steeles is already a mess.

An origin-destination study needs to be done to see where commuters and/or freight is coming from and trying to go to, to ascertain the best longer-term alternatives.

But the obvious move to help on E-W roads is to infill one other choice. (the additional 400 crossing).

That is preferable, in my mind to widening Steeles which would only make it more unwieldy.

Late response, but better late than never :)

I'm sure there is a happy medium to be found between inducing driving and doing nothing. I think some road network improvements are genuinely needed here. Besides, that kind of work can be bundled with transit/cycling/pedestrian/public realm improvements. I'm a big fan of walking and chewing gum at the same time :)

Late response, but better late than never :)

I'm sure there is a happy medium to be found between inducing driving and doing nothing. I think some road network improvements are genuinely needed here. Besides, that kind of work can be bundled with transit/cycling/pedestrian/public realm improvements. I'm a big fan of walking and chewing gum at the same time :)

Agree.

But I think the best focus is one new roads, rather than widening existing ones.

Yep, agreed. In terms of improvements, what would be some realistic goals/asks for this area?

Post #46 would be my suggestion.

There won't be 3 new roads.

The object is one new E-W road that crosses over/under highway 400 and the GO Barrie line.

It has to reach from west of 400 to Dufferin in the east in order to alleviate the E-W congestion on Steeles.

1605296779715.png

This is likely the most practical solution; it requires the least new land and very few building removals.

But York U would likely hate it for all the through traffic it would bring.

An alternative would use the existing York U busway corridor in the hydro corridor as a regular street, using the existing infra from Dufferin to Keele, then connect to Murray Ross Parkway.

The challenge is how to get it intelligently west of there.

The further west bit is straight forward. But the road pattern to Jane is just silly.

East of that, to make the connection you need to get across Black Creek.

I have tentatively shown a connection via the hydro corridor as its the least damaging and most efficient route.

However, it divides Driftwood park and would requires the demolition of some homes.

1605297342785.png

One of these new routes should probably happen.

I don't see many other better alternatives, though I'm, open-minded on that.

Was a bit shocked to see that they are painting the buildings near jane and steeles quite a bright blue

IMAG0820.jpg

Last edited:

Back