News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

thedeepend said:
I wonder how many of those public lavs there were in Toronto?

In addition to the two already mentioned, there were at least two more underground lavs:

Queen & Broadview, May 15, 1914:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it0648.jpg

Queen & Parliament, June 4, 1913:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1244/f1244_it7308.jpg

same, November 20, 1914:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it1295.jpg

The court case the city lost:

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1917/0scr55-153/0scr55-153.html

thecharioteer wrote:
"A hundred years ago, Toronto Bay came alive every winter with iceboats, whose sails filled the horizon like dhows on the Nile. In 1912, there were even races between iceboats and automobiles. Now that was a Winter City!"

iceboats10.jpg

Those wonderful photos of iceboats triggered an early memory.
Some iceboats were still operating in the late 1930s when my father took me for a ride.
I expect the owners were giving rides for a fee.

Last edited:

thank you--so fascinating! a very interesting exposition of the conflict between a version of 'the public good' and private property... "No one will deny their right to turn a mud road into a paved street with sidewalks, kerbs and gutters, street lights and other needs and conveniences for traffic; can any one with any more reason deny their right to build in the soil under the highway, closets and urinals, such as the needs of man imperatively demand?"

HIGHEST BUILDING IN BRITISH EMPIRE (CUTS) 1925
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21446

What an amazing collection of newsreel film clips!!! Many thanks to 'thedeepend.'

The fearless businessmen who travelled to the top of their building on a steel girder - wow!

I went on to explore some of the other news clips at this wonderful site:
-- Danny Kaye at the opening of Variety Village
-- and surprisingly, Danny Kaye again (with Bogey & Becall) at an Un-American Activities Hearing in Washington

I'll be returning to this site to watch many more historic films.

By my count, the Princess Theatre sat almost 700 at Orchestra level, some 360 in the balcony, and there were eight boxes. An audience of about 1100 in all ... about the same as the new Koerner Hall, or the Weston Recital Hall, but smaller than the Royal Alex that was built to compete with it.

Interesting that by 1921, 6 years after this picture was taken, Toronto was laying double streetcar tracks on this section of Bloor Street to Jane Street. As well, by 1968, 54 years after the photo, the Bloor-Danforth HRT subway was extended from Keele, past this hill at High Park, to Islington. The HRT subway in this section is now 42 years old.

bloorhighpark.jpg

In just 4 years, this photo will be 100 years old.

Interesting that by 1921, 6 years after this picture was taken, Toronto was laying double streetcar tracks on this section of Bloor Street to Jane Street. As well, by 1968, 54 years after the photo, the Bloor-Danforth HRT subway was extended from Keele, past this hill at High Park, to Islington. The HRT subway in this section is now 42 years old.

bloorhighpark.jpg

In just 4 years, this photo will be 100 years old.

i've always been fascinated with the way the spaces between the outlying western and northwestern municipalities like Swansea, Mimico, Mt. Dennis, West Toronto etc were 'filled in'; and how quickly they transitioned from being largely rural outposts to being stitched into the larger urban fabric of the city....

Cutting wheat at farm of William Rennie, Swansea, Ontario, circa 1900
562752eb.jpg

Family of William Rennie, curling party, Swansea, Ontario, December 25, 1904
385ae1df.jpg

South Kingsway or Riverside Drive
aba29e4b.jpg

Looking west on Lakeshore Road at Etobicoke Creek, Etobicoke Twp: Toronto & York Radial Railway, Mimico Division bridge over road
e7f94203.jpg

Single truck double deck car - Toronto and Mimico Railway, taken about 1891
50d42dd3.jpg

Double truck open car - Long Branch Line, taken about 1891
51c04747.jpg

Hon. W.H. Price, cutting ribbon, at easterly limits of New Toronto, official opening of Lake Shore Car Line
1ba99222.jpg

Lake Shore Road, near Mimico Creek, looking east
f4949bd0.jpg

Lake Shore Road, Mimico, Mimico Ave, stop 10, looking east, December 5, 1927
8906325c.jpg

Humber bridges, Lake Shore Rd, east of Jane St
db464ae8.jpg

A little hard to believe that Swansea's Rennie (Creek) Park and the hill going east down from Swansea School used to be a garbage dump for Toronto and area until the 1940's or 1950's or so.
385ae1df.jpg

"233 Midland street? I wonder if this street still exists; perhaps under a new name?" QUOTE. Mustapha.

Yes Sir!

Actually the caption is inkorecct:

Should be" MEDLAND STREET, (West Toronto), n from Humberside Av to Dundas, second w of Keele, ward 7."

The above is from the Might's City directory of 1910, with the ocupier being Ramshaw & Fleming, contrs. (My copy)

Frank C Campbell (TIN SHOP) was the business of record by 1912. (Might's Directory 1912, archive.org)

Regards,
J T

Back