News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

"233 Midland street? I wonder if this street still exists; perhaps under a new name?" QUOTE. Mustapha.

Yes Sir!

Actually the caption is inkorecct:

Should be" MEDLAND STREET, (West Toronto), n from Humberside Av to Dundas, second w of Keele, ward 7."

The above is from the Might's City directory of 1910, with the ocupier being Ramshaw & Fleming, contrs. (My copy)

Frank C Campbell (TIN SHOP) was the business of record by 1912. (Might's Directory 1912, archive.org)

Regards,
J T

Thanks JT, sometimes the easiest solution is the one I least think of - a "typo" in the original description. I checked Google street view; neither structure is there anymore.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is Whipper Billy Watson? I saw him at the Gardens, along with Tiger Jeet Singh.

s0372_ss0100_it0558.jpg

Don't know who this is though...

s0372_ss0100_it0557.jpg

Great shoes on both of them. Footwear was classy in those days.

A couple taken by my Grandfather....

Acme.jpg

VE Day 1945, Ticker Tape Celebrationby the Temple Building

VEDayTempleBuilding.jpg

A couple taken by my Grandfather....

Acme.jpg

Great pics, colbyb! There's an immediacy in family photos that are so appealing. This shot definitely looks like Bloor, just west of Bathurst, with the Alhambra Theatre. Looks like it's playing "Days of Glory", a 1944 war picture starring Gregory Peck. Here are two later pics:

1947:
alhambra1947.jpg

1960:
alhambra.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics, colbyb! There's an immediacy in family photos that are so appealing. This shot definitely looks like Bloor, just west of Bathurst, with the Alhambra Theatre. Looks like it's playing "Days of Glory", a 1944 war picture starring Gregory Peck. Here are two later pics:

1947:
alhambra1947.jpg

1960:
alhambra.jpg

Thanks for that. I had wondered where that picture was taken. It makes sense as my grandparents (and my mother) were living on Palmerston a block south of Bloor in the mid 40's. I like the fact you can see a bottle of milk in hand in the door of the wagon.

Here are two pics from my family album, taken by an uncle when there was still a Trinity College in Trinity-Bellwoods Park:

TrinityCollege_edited.jpg
TrinityCollege2_edited.jpg

An Archives picture probably taken around the same time:

trinity.jpg

And from 1856:

trinity1856.jpg

Map of the College 1913:

mapoftrinity.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Kivas Tully, a major local architect with few surviving examples of his work left for us to enjoy. Some - the Custom House and Bank of Montreal buildings at Front and Yonge, for instance - were demolished by the late Victorians.

Poor Kivas Tully, a major local architect with few surviving examples of his work left for us to enjoy. Some - the Custom House and Bank of Montreal buildings at Front and Yonge, for instance - were demolished by the late Victorians.

I agree. He certainly could tailor his style to his clients. Trinity College, however, shows the limitations of utilizing Gothic in a grand symmetrical ensemble. The Gothic style needs a lighter hand, more playfullness, a more idiosyncratic approach or it becomes dull and predictable, like in the current incarnation of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. I think both Tully's contemporary Frederick Cumberland in University College (1856-7) and EJ Lennox in the Old City Hall, (a generation later in 1899) understood this.

University College painting by Sir Edmund Walker 1859:

UniversityCollegeUofT_1800s.jpg

Birds-eye:

birdeye2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the picturesque assemblage of diverse forms at University College works nicely to break up the massiveness of the place. Still, some large Tudor homes were quite symmetrical - Hardwick Hall, Burghley House and Audley End - and I think Tully's Trinity College had a feeling of lightness to it ( all those slim minaret-like spires, lanterns, chimneys and pointed bays ) that's in the same spirit.

I wonder if this is Whipper Billy Watson? I saw him at the Gardens, along with Tiger Jeet Singh.

yikes! there's a name i haven't heard in a while...bringing back dim childhood memories--not sure how fond they are (rather more on the terrifying end of the scale i think) of Saturday afternoons with Haystack Calhoun and Andre The Giant....

52b34fa2.jpg

5d27869e.jpg

17cbc173.jpg

823d6d6c.jpg

a260fea1.jpg

1a13b94e.jpg

e0859845.jpg

68a1b69d.jpg

e9ecd0fe.jpg

afb9c653.jpg

b9c24f63.jpg

6c906895.jpg