News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As I remember it, John Fisher school, my old alma mater, had a dental office. It was staffed by a two ladies who I believe were dentists. No cleanings or extractions would be done - but fillings would be performed. Extractions for those pupils (that's what they called us :) ) whose parents were of limited means were performed at the UT dental college on Elm street for free. The more complex cases were done under anesthetic. Sometimes they were complex because dental care then, as now wasn't covered by the public purse, and the teeth wound up that way. Obviously this isn't bringing back any good memories for me.

In my opinion dental care should be covered under OHIP. A bloody shame it isn't.

I agree. He certainly could tailor his style to his clients. Trinity College, however, shows the limitations of utilizing Gothic in a grand symmetrical ensemble. The Gothic style needs a lighter hand, more playfullness, a more idiosyncratic approach or it becomes dull and predictable, like in the current incarnation of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. I think both Tully's contemporary Frederick Cumberland in University College (1856-7) and EJ Lennox in the Old City Hall, (a generation later in 1899) understood this.

Though keep in mind that Trinity represented an "earlier" form of medieval revivalism than UC or OCH, i.e. more Rickman than Pugin, in a Georgian-in-Gothic-drag way. A few years later, Tully might well have adapted to fashion.

And as far Ottawa's Parliament goes: that's at the other, more self-consciously "academic" end of the medieval-revival divide. (Toronto equivalents would be the Collegiate Gothic of Jarvis or Central Tech--though less so U of T examples like Hart House, Knox College, etc)

e9033978.jpg

Nice Chinese jacket.

e9033978.jpg

Nice Chinese jacket.

yes i noticed that as well! these photos often have odd details like that, making them quite intriguing. ie, why is a man of European descent wearing an Asian article of clothing in Edwardian toronto? his collar and tie are certainly very much of the Edwardian time. other things i like in that image are the pensive look on the girls face, the holes in her stockings, the natural light coming through the double hung window, the early metal horn telephone with the top mounted bells....

What a heart-breaking map, and a welcome antidote for those of us (and I'm guilty as charged) who bemoan the loss of the "good old days". I've noticed while visiting cemetaries such as the one on Roselawn east of Chaplin Crescent the number of tiny gravestones, most often off to the side, of children who died quite young.

It's no coincident that the heaviest concentration of infant mortality was centred on old Cabbagetown, an area that would be swept away a generation later (often argued on the basis of public health) through the redevelopment of Regent Park and Moss Park. More curious is the concentration SW of Bathurst and College, which was probably due to the high population of the area at the time.

Another interesting character from Toronto's history. Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders.

I wonder what the medal was for?

f1257_s1057_it4272.jpg

f1257_s1057_it4274.jpg

f1257_s1057_it4273.jpg

What a heart-breaking map, and a welcome antidote for those of us (and I'm guilty as charged) who bemoan the loss of the "good old days". I've noticed while visiting cemetaries such as the one on Roselawn east of Chaplin Crescent the number of tiny gravestones, most often off to the side, of children who died quite young.

It's no coincident that the heaviest concentration of infant mortality was centred on old Cabbagetown, an area that would be swept away a generation later (often argued on the basis of public health) through the redevelopment of Regent Park and Moss Park. More curious is the concentration SW of Bathurst and College, which was probably due to the high population of the area at the time.

what's amazing to me about that map, and the others that exist from that time, are the extraordinarily high rates of death from congenital syphilis among children in the city. on that map, syphilis is listed as the leading cause of death, after stillborn and premature births.

I have to admit.....one thing that has always struck and stuck with me about these photos....is that I see all these beautiful (often poor looking) little children and think ....omg...this pic was in 1915 or whatever...and that that little child is either incredibly old or dead by now. It makes me sort of step back and think...wow, how short life really is and how it is over for these kids already. I guess photos are really just a "snapshot" of time that is gone the moment they are taken. It reminds me of Chronus "eating his children" in Greek mythology. We begin to die the moment we're born. Thank you to those that provide them. They make me step back from my busy life and appreciate what I have and how, in the grand scheme of life, we must do what we can now...tomorrow comes all too quickly! Who knows, maybe one day, we'll all be in pictures on this website and have others thinking the same of us.

Last edited:
I have to admit.....one thing that has always struck and stuck with me about these photos....is that I see all these beautiful (often poor looking) little children and think ....omg...this pic was in 1915 or whatever...and that that little child is either incredibly old or dead by now. It makes me sort of step back and think...wow, how short life really is and how it is over for these kids already. I guess photos are really just a "snapshot" of time that is gone the moment they are taken. It reminds me of Chronus "eating his children" in Greek mythology. We begin to die the moment we're born. Thank you to those that provide them. They make me step back from my busy life and appreciate what I have and how, in the grand scheme of life, we must do what we can now...tomorrow comes all too quickly! Who knows, maybe one day, we'll all be in pictures on this website and have others thinking the same of us.

thank you for posting this. i think you have pinpointed something very significant here. i truly think that an awareness of life's impermanence, and of our inevitable mortality, is one of the most significant things one takes away from any form of studying history, including the contemplation of old photographs.

also, it is kind of mindblowing to imagine people 100 years from now looking at the city we inhabit and shaking their head at how quaint, primitive, picturesque, forlorn etc. it all looks! Mainly i think they'll be shaking their heads at why we decided, after centuries of using wood, brick, plaster, metal, stone and concrete, to blanket our city with something called "Exterior Insulation Finish Systems", in beige no less.

Last edited:
Another interesting character from Toronto's history. Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders.

I wonder what the medal was for?

f1257_s1057_it4272.jpg

f1257_s1057_it4274.jpg

f1257_s1057_it4273.jpg

cool photos! he is the very image of the gallant gentleman soldier. i love seeing those guys all kitted out....oddly, the 48th Highlanders Museum is located in the basement of St. Andrew's Church at the comer of King and Simcoe. sort of a strange location for an infantry regiment museum...

"Another interesting character from Toronto's history. Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders.
I wonder what the medal was for? QUOTE. Mustapha.

I will have my spy look into this!

Reguards,
J T

Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders, reminds me of the character Harry Andrews played in The Ruling Class - though I trust he didn't come to a similar end.

Back