News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That's cute! Youngsters assisting the survey crew.

Yes, but those kids are about to lose their house.

s0065_fl0709_it0004.jpg

Selling airplanes through subsidies is not really a sale, is it? Matching other crooked countries in order to "save an industry" is completely backwards.

can you put a sock in it........
no one here cares about your political stripe.
we are here to enjoy the pictures of our past.....

Ace Theatre, Danforth and Gough, 1947:

AceTheatreWeekAug41947.jpg

JolsonHeartofNewYorkAug51947.jpg

danforth.jpg

Attachments

• AceTheatreWeekAug41947.jpg
    AceTheatreWeekAug41947.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 668
  • JolsonHeartofNewYorkAug51947.jpg
    JolsonHeartofNewYorkAug51947.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 443
  • danforth.jpg
    danforth.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Cinema Treasures says it actually had THREE names.

The second theater to be known as the Ace Theater in Toronto opened in 1913 as the New Onoka Theater but was soon renamed the Iola Theatre. It became the Ace Theater in 1945 and was adorned with the vertical sign spelling ‘ACE'in lighted circles on top of each other that had been on the Ace Theater on Queen Street W.

The theater closed around 1955. The front of the building remains, perhaps slightly recognizable as a former theater, with the space converted to retail and a pub/restaurant.

See: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38723

When I first moved to Toronto, it was the Greenview Fruit Market. That was the mid-80s.

Can't quite recall when that folded, but I do remember a long vacant period.

Then, a Shoppers Drug mart, which moved to larger premises east of Pape.

Now Mark's Work Wearhouse or, as it is now rebranded, Mark's.

Can anybody fill in the blanks?

Being that I've been near shoppers world for over 30 years I remember it well, Been trying to find Shoppers World Danforth pics from the 70's and 80's for years but no luck yet. Anyways yeah I remember that raised part right on the south west corner, old neighbour told me it was part of the paint dept of the factory but maybe turntable? Remember the old Goodyear shop on the corner which later was St. Clair paint/wall paper and then that entire east section got redone when they rebuilt Dominion. remember the big cafeteria inside the mall. Yeah the shoe store with the fancy iron railing type bars above the windows with the display shoes across from where the Jewellery store was. Anyways I could go on for a while, great thread, Love seeing all of the old before and after pics.

I grew up in there as well in the late sixties and seventies. I remembered a bowling alley as a child but was gone by the time I was a teen. Into adulthood, i recall going after Eaton's disappeared in the late 80's and saw an exposed wall with a tile mosaic of a bowling pin and ball. Then in one of the back rooms of the new zellers was some of the old hardwood that made up the lanes exposed. It was like finding buried treasure of my childhood....I should have taken pictures. But alas, I didn't have a phone camera. In fact, I may not have even had a cell phone yet.....

That's a magnificent photo of a factory production line. Thanks to thedeepend.
I immediately thought of other industrial photos I've seen such as this image of another all-women group.
This is the GECO munitions plant in Scarborough (1942) where the products are certainly not soap!

GECO1942.jpg

P.S. The reproduction is unsharp only because it's an enlargement of a small internet file.

sharp enough to see jennifer tilley in there..........:)

Cinema Treasures says it actually had THREE names.

The second theater to be known as the Ace Theater in Toronto opened in 1913 as the New Onoka Theater but was soon renamed the Iola Theatre. It became the Ace Theater in 1945 and was adorned with the vertical sign spelling ‘ACE'in lighted circles on top of each other that had been on the Ace Theater on Queen Street W.

The theater closed around 1955. The front of the building remains, perhaps slightly recognizable as a former theater, with the space converted to retail and a pub/restaurant.

See: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38723

Thanks DSC for that info.
But a couple of corrections - The whole of the ACE/IOLA building remains, not just "the front of the building."
And the pub/restaurant is in a building next door.

Back