News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When I first moved to Toronto, it was the Greenview Fruit Market. That was the mid-80s.

Can't quite recall when that folded, but I do remember a long vacant period.

Then, a Shoppers Drug mart, which moved to larger premises east of Pape.

Now Mark's Work Wearhouse or, as it is now rebranded, Mark's.

Can anybody fill in the blanks?

I remember the Greenview Fruit Market of the late 80s, but I don't recall anything between that and Shoppers.

Apparently the Mark's era may be coming to an end as well, due to increased rent.

Queen St. W., n. side, looking e. from Brock Ave., showing Standard Bank of Canada branch at left.

pictures-r-981_zpsdfd1d5ff.gif:original

Untitled-2_zps1378527f.gif:original

Untitled-1_zps7dd4c5a1.gif:original

Screen-shot-2013-03-22-at-85306-PM_zpsc49b9ec9.gif:original

When I first moved to Toronto, it was the Greenview Fruit Market. That was the mid-80s.

Can't quite recall when that folded, but I do remember a long vacant period.

Then, a Shoppers Drug mart, which moved to larger premises east of Pape.

Now Mark's Work Wearhouse or, as it is now rebranded, Mark's.

Can anybody fill in the blanks?

Here's the IOLA (ACE) in 1994:

IOLA in 1994.jpg

Attachments

• IOLA in 1994.jpg
    IOLA in 1994.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Queen St. W., n. side, looking e. from Brock Ave., showing Standard Bank of Canada branch at left.

pictures-r-981_zpsdfd1d5ff.gif:original

Great pic, deepend, on so many levels, least of all seeing the original turret on the Gladstone in the distance.

QueenWest_Gladstone Street_Original.jpg

Attachments

• QueenWest_Gladstone Street_Original.jpg
    QueenWest_Gladstone Street_Original.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
it would so amazing if the city and building owners could come together to find a way to restore come of the fantastic turrets and elaborate forms that these buildings used to possess. especially the ones that are at major intersections like the Gladstone.

there must be at least a dozen notable examples of these kinds of decapitations. maybe it's hearsay, but i recall reading that CB2 wanted to restore the elegant mansard roof on the old Holiday Tavern building on the SE corner of Queen and Bathurst, as part of their restoration of that property, and the city disallowed it for some reason.

seems crazy to me. the city should leap at any chance to restore these features, and actively encourage it, as they would add a level of variety, beauty and architectural richness to many historically important parts of downtown; in much the same way that the old church spires do, drawing the eye skyward, and relieving the unrelenting flatness...

Yes, there must be enough "lost turrets" in Toronto to warrant a thread. The Dominion on Queen, the Tim Hortons on Parliament, the Gladstone noted by thecharioteer and the CB2 building noted above by thedeepend being prime examples. I think the auction/second-hand building on south side of King between George and Frederick - opposite George Brown - probably once also had a turret - it now has a stump - but I have never seen a photo of it in its 'heyday'.

does anyone know what the purpose of the metal box affixed to the pole is? /QUOTE]

Looks like a Fire alarm pull station. These used to be quite common, either attached to existing poles or on separate poles. Useful before the days of phone boxes and, now, cell phones.
alarm.jpg

Attachments

• alarm.jpg
    alarm.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
"does anyone know what the purpose of the metal box affixed to the pole is?"
QUOTE: thedeepend.

It is the Fire Alarm Signal Box No 166.

According to the FIRE DEPARTMENT MANUAL 1945, the response would be:

HOSE:
District 4, Ossington Ave, No 9.
District 6, Cowan Ave, No 15.

AERIAL:
District 6, Cowan Ave. No 15.

CHIEF:
District 6, Dundas St, No 6

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Yes, there must be enough "lost turrets" in Toronto to warrant a thread. The Dominion on Queen, the Tim Hortons on Parliament, the Gladstone noted by thecharioteer and the CB2 building noted above by thedeepend being prime examples. I think the auction/second-hand building on south side of King between George and Frederick - opposite George Brown - probably once also had a turret - it now has a stump - but I have never seen a photo of it in its 'heyday'.

the only building i know of that was restored in this way is the old furrier building on the SE corner of Queen and Spadina. i seem to remember that a version of the turret was still there, but in awful shape, and they completely replaced it about 15 years ago when it became Lettieri....

Screenshot2013-03-23at111939AM_zpseca22ee0.png:original

When I think of buildings with turrets, these immediately come to mind:
The University Armoury (built 1891) and the IOOF Building at Yonge & College (built 1893).
University_Avenue_Armouries built 1891.jpg

IOOF Building built 1893.jpg

Attachments

• IOOF Building built 1893.jpg
    IOOF Building built 1893.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 588
  • University_Avenue_Armouries built 1891.jpg
    University_Avenue_Armouries built 1891.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
"When I think of buildings with turrets, these immediately come to mind:
The University Armoury (built 1891) and the IOOF Building at Yonge & College (built 1893)."
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

Not to miss The E W Gillett Co Plant, s/e corner Fraser Ave & Liberty Street!

Regards,
J T

Danforth Church

I don't know if this counts as a turret or steeple but it was on the Danforth Church at Bowden. This photo was lifted from the Danforth thread, BTW.

bowden2.jpg

Attachments

• bowden2.jpg
    bowden2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 523
Thanks Goldie for the pic of Greenview Fruit Market. It brings back memories of a Danforth that wasn't quite yuppified yet. When I came in 1985, the SE corner of Carlaw was Sunland Fruit Market. Sun Valley was still pretty grungy. There was another supermarket further west, also Greek. And another IGA just west of Jones. It became a Blockbuster Video and is now a drug mart.

Back