8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Flavelle House (now the Faculty of Law, U of T, Queens Park Cr.):

flavelle.jpg

flavelle2.jpg

The Macdonald House at 354 Wellington Street West, at Clarence Square, one of the last mansions of King/Spadina:

macdonaldhousewellington.jpg
clarence-1.jpg

Since there's talk about Mt. Dennis area of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to be above or below ground at Weston Road, here's how Eglinton looked at the railway crossing (in 1929). The Kodak building is to the rear and left.

s0071_it7070.jpg

As well as looking east from the Kodak plant towards Black Creek.

s0071_it7073.jpg

And looking west from just west of Keele Street.

s0071_it7072.jpg

Since there's talk about Mt. Dennis area of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to be above or below ground at Weston Road, here's how Eglinton looked at the railway crossing (in 1929). The Kodak building is to the rear and left.

s0071_it7070.jpg

thanks for those! here is an aerial of Mount Dennis from the same period, with all that verdant farmland stretching off into the horizon. the church in the lower left on the south east corner of Weston and Eglinton is still there.

b2bd7294.jpg

2c219681.png

Last edited:
Interesting that the 'modern kitchen' has a vent hood above the range. Something that is sadly still lacking in many homes built as recently as the 1960s. In my opinion as much a boon to household comfort as a bath ventilator. I've retrofitted one into my home and done several for friends.

The Macdonald House at 354 Wellington Street West, at Clarence Square, one of the last mansions of King/Spadina:

macdonaldhousewellington.jpg

Fascinating collection of images--thank you!

These kinds of interiors are always both fascinating and mildly repellent to the modern viewer, I think because we simply don’t know what to make of them...They always appear so chaotic and fussy, with their curtains, cushions, carpets and wallpapers, and their bric-a-brac and objet d’art crowding every surface. For me, I think one of the impulses that we see here is simply the unbridled delight that the Victorians felt for their ‘things!’. I also find it interesting how the lack of ‘restraint’ these homes display at the level of the design of their domestic interiors seems so totally at odds with the kinds of emotional restraint and reserve that we associate with the Victorian psyche. However 'uptight' they may have been as people, their homes were definitely not repressed!

To my eye, everything in the Macdonald house interior is rigorously positioned for maximum effect. I think there's a high degree of restraint at work in the precise placement of these objects, and a fine sense of balance is achieved. If a few things were moved around at random it would all fall apart, horribly.

Eglinton Avenue West at Bathurst Street (1935):

f0207_s1251_it0022.jpg
f0207_s1251_it0021.jpg

You can just make out the Belt Line Railway, now a bike path, as it curves under Eglinton. The bridge over Bathurst Street is Old Forest Hill Road.

Two pictures, same location at St. George and Bloor, each evocative of their own era. In 1892, parasols and horses; in 1927, flappers and automobiles. In both, the Gooderham house presides, its wall growing in height as the world changes. In the latter picture, my eye is drawn to the couple centre-stage, deep in conversation.....

stgeorge.jpg

stgeorgebloor.jpg

Two pictures, same location at St. George and Bloor, each evocative of their own era. In 1892, parasols and horses; in 1927, flappers and automobiles. In both, the Gooderham house presides, its wall growing in height as the world changes. In the latter picture, my eye is drawn to the couple centre-stage, deep in conversation.....

stgeorge.jpg

stgeorgebloor.jpg

Its amazing to think how much the world changed in the interim of 35 years, long enough for those saplings on Bloor St to reach a decent size.

The world witnessed the invention of human flight, the internal combustion engine (and its application: the automobile), moving pictures and the radio; Einstein’s Theory Of Relativity; a world war that killed somewhere in the range of 17 million people, and a flu pandemic that killed anywhere from 50-100 million people.

Both pictures look like they are from a very long time ago, and yet I am often reminded how little distance we have to travel to find ourselves reconnected to those days.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/02/18/war-veteran018.html

f0207_s1251_it0021.jpg

You can just make out the Belt Line Railway, now a bike path, as it curves under Eglinton. The bridge over Bathurst Street is Old Forest Hill Road.

its amazing to think that, just 27 years after that photo was taken, this was being built--just a short walk away.

ec8cead2.jpg

its amazing to think that, just 27 years after that photo was taken, this was being built--just a short walk away.

ec8cead2.jpg

Ah, neat to see them installing the patterned concrete block. Too bad it was reno'd away however not-so-many years ago...

Back