News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Also extant in that shot from the early 30s: Eaton's College, Toronto Hydro--and when was the original Women's College wing built?

Midway at the far right, is that the bus terminal under construction?

Good points, guys! Though the Canada Life Building was completed in 1929,

canadalife.jpg

there's another picture that shows the Park Plaza labelled 1930,

queensparknorth.jpg

which can't be accurate because according to Wikipedia (though I hate to use it as a reference):

"Originally planned to be called the Queen's Park Plaza it was designed by Hugh G. Holman. Construction began in 1928 and was due to be completed in 1929; however, stock market crash and the beginning of the Great Depression caused its builder to go out of business. The steel framed structure was left partially completed for several years as various attempts to restart it failed. It was finally completed and opened for business in 1936, with rooms costing $3 per night and up."

And in 1930, Queens Park Crescent had not yet been widened:

queensparknorthh.jpg

My conclusion? The aerial is obviously early thirites (not 1929) and there could be a glimpse of the unfinished Park Plaza above the Legislature, the view of the Park Plaza must be at least mid-thirties (not 1930), and finally: we can't always rely on the Archives dates.

My conclusion? The aerial is obviously early thirites (not 1929) and there could be a glimpse of the unfinished Park Plaza above the Legislature, the view of the Park Plaza must be at least mid-thirties (not 1930), and finally: we can't always rely on the Archives dates.

f1231_it2043.jpg

or the street designations for that matter--this is obviously King and Bathurst....

A little change of direction, but true to the spirit of "evocative images". This aerial, taken from the Canada Life Building in 1929, shows a moment in time before the Victorian (Edwardian?) city vanishes forever: no tall buildings north of Queen's Park, the Ward intact (along with the Gaol Tzedek synagogue and the Armouries), mature trees on University Avenue, lighting that almost seems surreal in its brightness:

universityavenue1929.jpg

i wonder what are the most important urban developments that finally created the grounds for the emergence of the 'modern city' all the way up to Bloor?

Charioteer: you've detailed the creation of Bay St elsewhere...to me this would seem to be possibly the most defining development; maybe along with Eaton's College St, and the growth of medical and government buildings around Queen's Park? I imagine Park Plaza was significant. as well, i reckon the building of the viaduct must have gradually created the grounds for a kind of connective tissue of development coming from the northeast....

here are a few shots from the same era. as has been pointed out, for some reason a lot of these dates need to be looked at somewhat askance.

i love the out of focus image of bustling rough and tumble Queen Street west in the background. you can see the corner of Queen and York upper left...

5eed9543.jpg

here is the site of the Canada Life buiilding prior to construction. again, date seems wrong?

b6c451e4.jpg

i like this one, as it provides a nice view of the hulking masses that were the Ford Hotel and the Eaton's Warehouse, and a good view of the length of the Armoury, with its picturesque round turrets. what a crazy building!

19a058eb.jpg

another from Canada Life tower--good glimpse of the Ward

1f81d2ac.jpg

another aerial view of the Ward, from City Hall tower

c3de4a3c.jpg

a view looking north from the Royal York. you can see Eaton's College under construction

f89a7d7a.jpg

what is that big building where Ryerson now is, in lower left frame? is that the original Ryerson building?

b9548431.jpg

"what is that big building where Ryerson now is, in lower left frame? is that the original Ryerson building?" QUOTE. thedeepend.

The NORMAL SCHOOL. (Presently a facade within the grounds.)

Regards,
J T

"what is that big building where Ryerson now is, in lower left frame? is that the original Ryerson building?" QUOTE. thedeepend.

The NORMAL SCHOOL. (Presently a facade within the grounds.)

Regards,
J T

thank you!
a lovely building...very early photograph (1856). tower was altered at some point
6725ef69.jpg

early 20th C.

edb32ead.jpg

817c84db.jpg

854fd6aa.jpg

Speaking of University Avenue:

university1897.jpg

1910:
university1910.jpg

August 1, 1914 (day World War I started):
universityaug11914.jpg

John Phillip Sousa comes to town:
sousa.jpg

sousa3.jpg

univesitysousa.jpg

sousa1.jpg

1916:
university1916.jpg

another aerial view of the Ward, from City Hall tower

c3de4a3c.jpg

Or rather (as the notation on the left indicates), the now-gone Eaton's Warehouse.

Interesting to notice the name "LYRIC" atop the entrance to that church at Dundas + Bay...

Interesting to notice the name "LYRIC" atop the entrance to that church at Dundas + Bay...

I believe that the church was converted to a very early movie theatre. From http://www.rbebout.com/queen/downtown/2pshow.htm :

"The Griffin Amusement Company had six locations in 1910, three downtown later becoming theatres (the Variety, the Lyric north of the Hippodrome, and the Rialto up Yonge Street).

Some of the most evocative images of lost Toronto are not so much of the city itself, but images of the interiors of the buildings that made up the city. The best of them are atmospheric, intimate and suggestive of “the way that people really livedâ€. With their quotidian details, and the quiet markers of human presence: furniture, objet d'art, books, decorative accessories, popular pictures on the wall, they tell us less about the buildings, and more about the people; revealing a weath of detail about the texture of everyday life, and the ways we inhabited our domestic and work spaces on a day to day level.

b6ffabaa.jpg

cdb2370e.jpg

852dab19.jpg

nurseshome.jpg

nurseshome2.jpg

nurseshome3.jpg

nurseshome5.jpg

nurseshome6.jpg

4b641802.jpg

f6632e58.jpg

eefc3fd1.jpg

0d4d62d9.jpg

1a64de52.jpg

s0071_it10856.jpg

38c5b790.jpg

a9f0ae59.jpg

c34f4ff9.jpg

c8be2c87.jpg

Some great interiors, deepend, some suprisingly "modern". Here area few more (some not so "modern"):

livingrmchestermassey.jpg

diningroommassey.jpg

diningroomcasaloma.jpg

diningroomcasaloma2.jpg

bedroomcasaloma5.jpg

bedroomcasaloma.jpg

bedroomcasaloma2.jpg

bedroomcasaloma3.jpg

bedroomcasaloma4.jpg

bedroom.jpg

diningroomchorley.jpg

livingroomjames.jpg