News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I spent 10 years watching the city run things in my last job, I'm less confident than the rest of you. :lol

The only city politico with the brains to manage the business / costing end is the poltically dead and tainted Tom Jakobek. Maybe some of the old Metro Council types pre amalgamation.

We always had better representatives on Metro Council than in City Hall. weird.

An Expo will bring good things to this city. I think it's worth the expence to showcase what this city can do. (assuming we don't cheapen out and cut corners) This city could use a few more parties.

You're just being a cynic, billon. It's pretty clear that the net effect on tax revenues will be positive since that $700 million investment will leverage several billion dollars in new spending, a third of which finds itself back in the hand of government (as a rule of thumb) through taxation.

^ Why wouldn't they? Many of our smaller annual festivals draw hundreds of thousands of people, some of them millions.

With the backing of the BIE and the promotional work of each country, who have a vested interest that people visit their respective pavillions, it is expected that a world expo in the new format (every 5 years) will be a draw of worldwide caliber.

I've heard that Torino, Italy will be bidding for the 2015 World Expo. The mayor of the city announced the city's plans to go after this. Toronto's got more international competition now.

They haven't done any work yet in Torino, no studies, nothing.
I honestly think its only Toronto and Izmir whp's going to bid. Sadly, the government probably won't support the bid and Izmir automatically wins. I know we can win it over Izmir, Turkey.

afransen

1/3 finds its way to "government" but not the city of Toronto. GST/PST/corp/payroll taxes will all accrue to Prov/Feds and they are the biggies.

The problem with Toronto's taxes is there is no real incentive to increase economic activity, just to build more stuff you can levy property tax on. Does Expo fit the bill? I truly have my doubts.

According to an Italian member on a different forum. The mayor of Torino publicly announced that the city will be bidding for the Expo. Obviously, if this happened I'm sure studies about a bid have or are taking place at the moment.

So Torino and Toronto will split the Tor vote, and Izmir walks up through the middle by sowing up the Tur vote. Or - wait a minute - maybe Turin and Turkey split the Tur vote, and Toronto busts through.

This is a long shot, but maybe Taranto could join the fray and split the Italian vote.

Or maybe we stage a joint Torino-Toronto Expo: Torinto 2015.

I don't know where my loyalities lie anymore.

If Tirana throws their hat in the ring we're sunk.

They even have a Tirana International Film Festival - 'TIFF' for short. It runs in early December.

Geez.

It's probably pronounced the same way too.

(Actually, I'm not one to drop Toronto's second t, but I do tend to shorten the first o down to an apostrophe.)

I can't see Teheran winning if they bid, the political issues they have right now don't look good, and since Bush is still in power I can see a war there in less than a year at this rate. It's a shame how things have to be.

Back