News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Re: Expo 2015 Update Today.

Something will be spoken in the news by Wednesday night, Expo Financing went to City Council today and the final city decision ends before the 27th. From there its up to the Prov and Feds, so far i'm hearing the prov is approving, however it won't surprise me that the feds disapprove it. Time will tell, I'm not keepin my hopes up with a pro-west government.

with a pro-west government.
or maybe just prudent. It's a disaster in the making, someone has to kybosh this ill conceived plan. I'm sure years down the road we will all be grateful.

Thats not how to play politics.
The feds will support it verbally for the public limelight, but if they want to kill it, the won't fund it properly, or drag their feet with the funding --- like the spadina line extension, effectively killing a time sensitive expo proposal.

What an interesting concept - our federal government deliberately creating an embarrassing mess for the country by sabotaging an international event they officially support.

The federal government hasn't said they support Toronto's Expo bid.

The feds will support it verbally for the public limelight, but if they want to kill it, the won't fund it properly, or drag their feet with the funding

It would be a surprise if it did not happen this way.

or maybe just prudent. It's a disaster in the making, someone has to kybosh this ill conceived plan.

Oh please, the federal government quashing a plan on the basis of prudence or good judgement?

Let's keep it that way. Let's get their pro-Western mojo workin' for us.

I'm actually pleased with the latest moves from the federal government. They're making necessary things happen. I would almost be willing to support them in the next election, but I'm still hoping that the Liberals will have had a new bar set for their performance and will build on what the Tories have done and I can support them instead.

...however, if the Conservative government screws this up for Toronto, I will become a vowed hater of the Tories for all of eternity.

It's Toronto time. We've never hosted an Olympics or an Expo while other major Canadian cities have hosted both. We need this, even if only to build self-confidence and pride in this city where residents bad talk their own home.

I'm actually pleased with the latest moves from the federal government. They're making necessary things happen. I would almost be willing to support them in the next election, but I'm still hoping that the Liberals will have had a new bar set for their performance and will build on what the Tories have done and I can support them instead.

The latest cuts don't make much sense.

There's nothing I see positive about the federal government. Spending cuts that hurt the poor and culture (despite a huge surplus), a move to Republicanize the political culture (if I hear "cut and run" one more time, I'll scream), their many foreign and domestic policy goofs to appease the evangelical right and the Yanks, and the several sell-outs so far.

They would appear to be living up to the Conservative tradition of extreme parsimony.

Can we keep the proselytising to the 'politics' section please!!!

...however, if the Conservative government screws this up for Toronto, I will become a vowed hater of the Tories for all of eternity.

If there's any silly-season cue for vowing to hate the Tories, it's in their hypothetically robbing Toronto of an Olympic/World's Fair opportunity--especially considering that there are plenty of lefties (esp. the Michael Shapcott bread-not-circuses bunch) who'd be more than eager to kill off WF/Olympic pipe-dreaming, too...

Can we keep the proselytising to the 'politics' section please!!!

Who's proselytising? Look at the facts: two billion in cutbacks along with a $13 billion surplus. That is big-league cheapo.

So did the finance comittee approve or disapprove the bid today? I still haven't heard anything on the news. Today's the day apprently for it. Then the rest of the money is up to the prov/feds, if approved.

Back