News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

A landmark water crossing would work. Aside from Humber Bridge, Toronto has none really.

The Keating channel in Toronto Harbour could be something unique.

"TURKEY IS JOKE TO YOU? I CRUSH YOUR BID!"

Sorry, couldn't resist the Seinfeld reference.

What's with this talk about the bid not being supported by the government now? A new government might be voted in around the time that the bid needs to be officially submitted to the BIE. I wonder what's going to happen now.

According to this article on the Toronto Star (article),
it mentions this,

"Harper has said the agreement, aimed at ending the longstanding softwood trade dispute with the United States, will be put to a vote in House of Commons in October. He has declared it will be a confidence vote, meaning the government will fall if a majority of MPs vote against the deal.

All three opposition parties have declared their opposition to the deal. And one Liberal leadership contender, Bob Rae, has dared Harper to call an early election over it."

- This is not good news for the expo bid at all. The decision for the bid has to be sent to the BIE by November 1st 2006. However a report has to be made prior to that to be sent. So a decision would have to be made in Sept or October latest.

Which would happen around the time where the government will fall. The Star says if this happens the Conservatives will probably win, but once again a minority. Pointless right? I think so and a waste of our taxmoney!

Whats your view?

Yeah that's what I was talking about since you made another post about this before.

I don't know what to think. If I was part of the organizing team of this Expo I'd be worried now. But don't you think the government may give their approval before Sept/Oct? Do you not think the Expo team has a report in the works already or do they need the government's report and recommendations about this Expo bid very early in advance to finish off this report that they need to send to the BIE?

The government will not fall and there will be no election this fall. The Liberals and NDP cannot afford or win an election. They will vote against the softwood deal and simply not have enough votes to defeat the government.

Whether you're for the Softwood deal or not, collapsing the house right now would be very bad PR. I don't think the other parties would risk it. Surely the conservatives are banking on this as they did on the extension of the mission in Afghanistan?

If all three opposition parties actually vote against the government, they'd have to have an incredible number on sick leave to not win the vote. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, since I agree that a vote this fall is very unlikely. A Decima poll just came out that shows Harper slipping badly, especially in Quebec, since the Middle East crisis. The Bloc seems to be getting much of the benefit. That should give usually-trigger-happy Harper pause in his quest for a majority.

A timely piece by John Ibbitson in the Globe:

Tory majority ain't happenin'
JOHN IBBITSON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

The federal Conservatives insist otherwise, but they may have done irreparable harm to their dreams of winning a majority government.

Unfortunately for the three opposition parties, there is little chance they will be able to exploit the situation. The Tories would not gain as many seats as they would like if an election were held tomorrow, but neither would the Liberals, Bloc Québécois or NDP.

This is bad news for political operatives of all stripes, but good news for voters, who may now be spared the unpleasantness of another federal election for some time.

The Conservatives have never made a secret of their two-election strategy for attaining a majority government. The first step was to defeat the Liberals and win a minority. Then, went the theory, the Conservatives would govern well, reassuring nervous voters who would reward the new governing party with a majority next time out.

Ain't happenin'.

To win a majority, the Conservatives must increase their seat count by at least 30. Since only incremental gains are available elsewhere, this means winning 15 or more seats in Quebec, in addition to holding their existing 10, and another 15 or more seats in suburban Ontario, while retaining their current 40.

These are big numbers, and not easily achieved. And the Conservatives seem hell-bent on not achieving them.

The Kyoto Protocol on climate change is popular in Quebec, but the Conservatives have declared that Canada won't meet its targets. The Afghan deployment is unpopular in Quebec, but the Conservatives are four-square behind it.

The long-gun registry was more popular in urban Quebec and Ontario than in most other parts of the country, but the government has scrapped it anyway. Same-sex marriage is strongly supported by Montrealers and Torontonians, but the Tories will reopen debate on the legislation this fall.

And if that weren't enough, the Harper government's firm support for Israel in this latest war is bound to alienate immigrant Canadians, many of whom are sympathetic to the plight of Palestinians and Arabs, and who largely congregate in suburban Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Given all the negatives that the Tories are piling up within constituencies they must woo to win a majority, it's hard to imagine them scoring 30 seats.

Conservative strategists insist this analysis is superficial. They argue that Quebeckers, suburban Ontarians and immigrant Canadians will support their party even if they disagree with its stands on specific issues because they see Stephen Harper as a strong leader who will keep taxes low and government small.

The Conservatives are also bolstered by the fragile state of the opposition. The Bloc has been badly frightened by the Tory surge in Quebec, and fears further losses. Right now, the Bloc is the government's best friend in the House of Commons.

The NDP under Jack Layton has settled into comfortable stagnation, its typical state. And most thoughtful Liberals are skeptical about the electoral chances of Michael Ignatieff, Bob Rae or Stéphane Dion, the three leadership candidates with the best chance of winning.

So, while the Tories may have to abandon hope of a majority in the next election, they are not in imminent danger of defeat. And the polls bear this out, putting the Conservatives in the high 30s, which is about where they were on Jan. 23, and the Liberals in the mid-20s, down slightly from election night. (It will be very interesting to see whether the government's pro-Israeli stand affects its support in the polls.)

There will be a confidence vote on the softwood-lumber agreement this fall, and another next spring on the 2007 budget. But, barring the unforeseen, the government should survive both tests, simply because an election is in no one's interest.

Politics, however, is always about the unforeseen. So if a big scandal breaks, or the Tories' popularity suddenly spikes, just forget you read any of this. Okay?

AoD

Well all three opposition parties have declared their opposition to the deal, and that would bring down the government. Sadly, it'll end up being another minority conservative government, and if not conservative it'll be something else as a minority. Which would be so pointless to have another election I agree, and with the tories points a bit down now, they're losing by doing that.

Right now I could careless who gets in, I just want our country to have a stable government and stop wasting tax dollars every 2 years or so. I know many people don't like certain parties, but I'm tired of running to the polls so frequent for something that won't change anything.

Hopefully the tories, and liberals approve the idea of the expo. That way if one or the other gets in (min or maj) it'll work. I don't see NDP winning a minority for a while.

"Politics, however, is always about the unforeseen. So if a big scandal breaks, or the Tories' popularity suddenly spikes, just forget you read any of this. Okay?"

love this line....lol

"How sure are you of that?"

I will hand you my left ball if the opposition brings down the government over softwood (imagine the backlash of an election as a result of a vote over an issue that most of the urban population does not give a sh*t about).

Everyone talks about Bilbao (sometimes they even spell it right unlike today's Star) - did they have an Expo or other fair or did they decide "we don't need an excuse - let's just get on with it".

When did this thread get so badly off-topic? I have barely seen any Expo discussion at all.

I see Harper, softwood lumber, Kyoto...

Back