News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

"However, coming from just about anywhere else, Toronto blows people's minds because of its diversity. In that sense that theme is probably the right way to go."

That's so true. I was showing some relatives around. They saw people of some races that they didn't even know existed. ;)

I was at the Aichi Expo last year. I don't think Toronto will be missing anything if the don't land the bid.

- Plus as far as the diversity for a theme, most pavilions just go and do their own thing anyways. For example, The 2005 Expo was about sustainability and the Environment, so the USA pavilions had a nice 20 minute film on Ben Franklin, A gas company had a Magic show, Canada had a film that they could re-use for "Diversity". and Toyota had robots.

I think it would be good to have just for the development and infrastructure benefits. Plus it would be lots of fun mixing with all the visitors. Who cares if it isn't as big as before? It would still be cool to have, I think. Better than Canadian Idol, anyway.

Its a good excuse to invest money into infrastructure, take in visitors and spread the word.

Projects every decade or so is good for the city.

The Commonwealth games wouldnt be a bad deal either.

I think the World Cup would be the best catch. Better than the Olympics.

Why would the World Cup be so great? It's not rhetorical: I can't really see what comes out of a WC other than a large soccer stadium and _maybe_ some associated transit improvements. It seems to me that the Olympics provide a superior legacy in terms of infrastructure improvement and sporting legacy...

why the worldcup great?

Its low maintenance with a high return.

Correct me if Im wrong, but it has a bigger audience than the olympics. The city can host a number of games right up to the finals. Unless actually hosting the finals, the Skydome could work with 55,000 seats.

Hardly any investment needed and much more in return from visitors, media etc, including global attention.

Besides, Toronto loves world cup time.

Ah, so little to no return in terms of reshaping the city, but return (I wouldn't say "greatly" more than the Olympics) some attention/notoriety.

If Toronto weren't hosting the finals, Toronto wouldn't garner much spotlight vis-a-vis other Canadian cities, which is a significant challenge right now.

I'm not opposed to the WC, but I don't think it would accomplish quite the same goals that the Olympics or even Expo would.

The world cup is country wide, the Expo would do much more for Toronto specifically.

Yes.

I'm not even sure Expo would do much for any given city in Canada, except perhaps gain it a potential white elephant.

It would, of course, boost Canada's profile as a country fairly substantially. But then, "Canada" isn't realistically a tourist destination, much to the chagrin of my family in the Netherlands who thought they could make a day trip to Montreal and/or Quebec City from my family's house in Niagara... By that, I mean each city/region has to market itself independently, to a large extent.

White elephants are an essential ingredient in city building. Part of the charm of cities are their elevator's to nowhere etc. Aren't we due for another collective folly soon? It would be a shame if we became so pragmantic as to cease dreaming idiotic dreams.

As white elephants go, we can do better than a soccer stadium. We already have one, more or less in SkyDome.

Royson's take from the Star:

T.O. needs Harper for world's fair bid
Apr. 10, 2006. 08:32 AM
ROYSON JAMES

You are going to hear a lot about Expo 2015, the world's fair that seems so unfamiliar, so distant, so amorphous that it's easy to miss it or wonder why the fuss.

But by June Toronto could be starting another bid to host this international event. And within two years, a world's fair could be awarded to this city.

A lot must happen between now and then. For one, Torontonians and their political and business and civic leaders must want this event, paint a picture to inspire the public, and drive towards it with creativity and verve.

To win, the city will need a lot of friends. The pessimists among us are saying, about now: "Game over. We've lost before we start."

But Toronto's friends and enemies can be found in the unlikeliest of places —sometimes in the same person, as it was with former Ontario Premier Mike Harris.

Harris, the North Bay golfer who often teed off on Toronto in the early days of his reign at Queen's Park, was quite fond of Toronto near the end. He often said his eyes were opened on trips abroad. When he mentioned Ontario to his hosts, only a few people knew where he was talking about. But when he said Toronto, eyes lit up.

Harris told that story often. And it seems the more it became clear that Toronto is the straw that stirs the Ontario drink, the more helpful Harris became.

Of course, by then it was too late. The man who amalgamated the city, downloaded huge costs, and dismantled many of the social safety nets and structures that helped the complex city function is remembered for the evil he did, not the good.

But it was Harris who approved the Super Build fund that was used as seed money to start the cultural rebirth everyone is now recognizing as a historical and significant moment.

When Toronto bid for the 2008 Olympics, a bid it lost badly as Beijing won, it was Harris who did the heavy lifting on the bid day in Moscow.

If you recall, Mayor Mel Lastman was rendered impotent when he offended the African contingent by suggesting he didn't really want to go to Mombasa to drum up votes — so terrified he was of ending up in the pot of a cannibal.

With Mel gagged by the bid team, left in his hotel room, away from the media, Harris carried the ball. It was Harris, not the mayor, who addressed the delegates of the International Olympic Committee.

By contrast, when Toronto tried for the 1996 Olympics, neither outgoing Premier David Peterson nor incoming Premier Bob Rae gave the city its due. Peeved that he'd just been upset by Rae, Petersen backed out of any official role, saying Rae should be the one to travel with the bid team. Neither did.

When it comes to bids for world fairs, it is national governments that must rise to the challenge. That means Stephen Harper and the Conservatives.

It will be a while yet before we get to know our new Prime Minister, providing he lasts long enough to get past the introductions. So, it's highly speculative to say what Harper will do on the Toronto file. But, so far the signals are not good.

Just last week a front page headline in the Star read: "Don't need Toronto, Tory strategist says." Quebec, not Toronto, is the focus of the new government, as it attempts to turn a minority government into a majority winner over the next year, a Tory insider told business executives.

What's particularly damaging about this is that Toronto needs Harper's attention now, leading up to a June meeting in Paris where the city's Expo bid team hopes to officially declare it is in the running for Expo 2015. There is little time to hold his hands and slowly develop a lasting relationship with Harper.

"Expo 2015 is a chance for Harper to show he cares about Toronto," says Councillor Brian Ashton, who is pushing the Toronto bid. "He needs to demonstrate a commitment to Toronto as Canada's premier urban centre."

So far, Izmir, Turkey seems the only sure competition. But Moscow and Rio de Janeiro are considering bids as well. As soon as one city officially files a bid, the clock starts ticking and all other bidders must apply within six months. The host city will be chosen in February 2008.

Public consultation sessions on Toronto's bid are set for North York's Memorial Hall in the civic centre, below the library, on Thursday April 20. A second is set for Harbourfront April 24. Both sessions are 6 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

The matter goes to city council May 23. If approved, and if the Harper chooses to surprise, he may find the energy to lift a finger for the city of Toronto.

It wouldn't be the first time help arrived from the unlikeliest of sources.

AoD

I agree Afrensen! Not that one starts out planning a white elephant. The idea is that it takes dreamers and megalomaniacs to make a city. Instead, we have politicians and councils, interest groups and nimbys! (see below)

As for the whole diversity thing...yawn!!! It's politically correct, polite, safe and expected, 'cod liver oil' branding. Really,who's going to argue against diversity?? It is a global world out there, at least the developed part of it. Take a look beyond our borders: London isn't white-bred cockney any more, You are hard pressed to find a Parisian cliche in Paris, etc, etc. All of North America is fundamentally made up of many different peoples from many different backgrounds to one degree or another. In a word, the world is "diverse" and nobody cares any more. That's the whole point. For Toronto to posture, "Yes, but we are even more diverse" is silly and boring and pointless. We are essentially branding our city as Epcot Centre, and we all know how well that place is received. Sometimes by trying to be all things to all people we ending up being nothing to anyone. If we are looking to host the world stage, and if this is an opportunity to present ourselves to the world, then why not try and present something that is sexy by being truly unique to Toronto?? I would seriously rethink this approach, but I know that this is the most politically expedient, safe and brainless avenue for the powers that be. I'd like to think that our diversity and mutual respect is now a given. God forbid the time has come we should start to think outside the box about who we are and where we're going, collectively as a people!

I truly think that the embracing and affirming of our diversity has been an important part of our collective history. No question, and rightfully so. That said, where do we go from here? I think that this is the exciting and fascinating question we face. Just think of the possibilities...

Back