News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: expo

Louroz, This is disappointing for many of us, but it must be extremely frustrating for you personally so my personal condolences to you.

Yes, now that it's dead let's see all the money flowing to transit. In Vancouver. For their Expo. And then Calgary. For their Commonwealth Games. And then Quebec City. For their Winter Games .....

Re: What If?

The Province is "giving" the PEC. The Feds (be them Liberal or Conservative) are defending the Porker Air and the Pork Authority. At times like these, I feel like they don't give a shit.

The only big transit money for the TTC (and only provincial at that) is the Sorbara Line to the middle of nowhere.

I want Angry Miller for mayor this time around. No more Quiet Miller.

Toronto's Expo bid dead
Last minute progress sours, source says
Nov. 2, 2006. 12:21 PM
JIM BYERS
CITY HALL BUREAU

It's game over for Toronto's Expo bid.
After a tense week and-a-half of often bitter negotations and a marathon series of calls that ended this morning, city, provincial and federal officials today failed to reach an agreement to allow Toronto to bid for the 2015 World's Fair, according to a source close to the bid.

"It's dead," said the source.

Bid officials could not be reached for confirmation. Mayor David Miller is schduled to address the media at 1:15 p.m. to talk about Expo and a newly-released report on Toronto's waterfront.

Bid backers this morning said they were making progress and were optimistic about a deal. But things appear to have soured sometime in mid-morning.

None of the three levels of government were willing to protect the bid against what a deficit projected at between $700 million to $2.2 billion. There was talk that they'd okay the bid in principle and worry about financial details over the next few months.

But officials apparently weren't able to come to terms on wording of a federal letter that had to be sent to the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions by noon Toronto time.

What a waste of ****ing time honestly. I would be so pissed right now if I was apart of the Expo team working on this bid.

Does any believe Toronto will go after any other International events in the meantime?

Once again, Toronto gets screwed by Queens Park and Ottawa. It's time for a Toronto First Party.

Once again, Toronto gets screwed by Queens Park and Ottawa. It's time for a Toronto First Party

Let's cause a riot because Toronto didn't submit a bid..lol

Maybe even seperate from Canada ala Quebec. :b

FutureMayor must be extremely furious right now.

I'm expecting to see his angry rant on the boards when he returns.

What If?

I am extremely disappointed at the lack of vision at Queen's Park and Toronto City Hall. I honestly believed they could have reached a deal this morning.

This would have been a golden opportunity for the future of Toronto. What a complete waste of time, money and energy only to damage our reputation on the international stage.

Say good bye to the $600 million Ottawa would have given to Toronto. I can assure you that will not magically be redirected to some other project. Remember Toronto's 2008 Olympic Bid? What happended to the $1.5 billion that was suppose to come regardless of the bid? Billions in new investment to the city is lost, not to mention the huge boost in civic pride Expo would have generated.

Everytime I look out onto the Waterfront, I am always going to ask the world "What if?". Hopefully I will be proven wrong come 2015, but it will be very sad if come that time, the Portlands is still an empty mess, instead of a grand celebration of Toronto.

Louroz

Wow. Just wow. Two comments:

First, it is a stunning testament to the dysfunctionality of the division of powers within the Federation that a country flush, aboslutely flush, with surplus cash has missed the boat like this because of stupid squabbling.

Second, once again we see here that Toronto is NOT a priority for either "senior" level of government, no matter what.

I am hopping furious right now. I think this may represent a pradigm shift of a final straw, incontrovertible evidence of a double standard in treatment of Toronto vis-a-vis the other major cities. The city needs to stand up for itself. A tax revolt, maybe?

Anyone want to start a Bloc Toronto party with me?

Like I said, let's threaten to seperate...lol...Let's see how fast Canada's economy crashes and goes into recession for a long period.

So what if the circus isn't coming to town?

For people who don't get out much, this loss is no doubt a terrible blow - but Toronto's day-to-day cultural scene is rich, speaks of our creative excellence and international standing as a city, and is of more significance than outmoded one-off non-events that offer lowest common denominator thrills. Outside of the communist world, who cares about them any more?

What a complete waste of time, money and energy only to damage our reputation on the international stage.

I understand your frustration, but, in comparison to Canada's cuddling up to American policy, bailing on Kyoto, the Tar Sands environmental disaster, our record on child poverty, and our treatment of aborginal peoples, just to name a few, a failed Expo bid is going to have to little or no affect on Canada's international reputation.

Re: What If?

What a complete waste of time, money and energy only to damage our reputation on the international stage.

Who was spending money to support the bid, thus far? Was it the city?

Thanks Bob.

The city thought it was going to move forward. An updated website was even launched:

www.tedco.ca/expo/about.html

It even includes the site plan of what would have been Toronto's Expo.

I am so angry and upset at the moment.

Louroz

Back