News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Stop Naming Finch West LRT

About Finch West LRT

The Finch West LRT is an 11-kilometre light rail transit (LRT) line that will run along the surface of Finch Avenue West between the new TTC Finch West Subway Station at Keele Street to Humber College (Hwy. 27). It will include 18 stops, including 16 surface stops, plus an underground interchange station at Finch West (connecting to the new Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension), and one below-grade terminal stop at Humber College. Learn more

About this consultation
Metrolinx's Design Excellence team recently studied harmonization of regional transit wayfinding which includes station, stop and interchange naming. A set of principles were established for selecting names consistently across the regional transit network, helping to make transit easier to navigate.

Our five principles in determining new wayfinding names:

1. Simple - Simple names are easier to remember
  2. Logical - Logical names provide a mental link when trip planning, they should be relevant to the area they reside
  3. Durable - Names should be relevant as long as the station exists
  4. Self-locating - Names should allow users to mentally locate themselves within the region
  5. Unique - A unique name is one that cannot be confused with any other
For the Finch West LRT line, applying these principles has led us to propose changes to four stop names. Recognizing the importance of balancing technical requirements with public input, we are seeking your feedback on new names:

1. Jane and Finch (currently Jane)
  2. Mount Olive (currently Kipling)
  3. Thistletown (currently Islington)
  4. Emery Village (currently Weston)
We are accepting comments until February 12th, 2018.

We value your feedback. Your comments will be evaluated and a report analyzing all the responses will be posted following the online engagement closure. Your feedback will considered by the Metrolinx Board at the next Board of Directors meeting on March 8, 2018.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

About Finch West LRT

The Finch West LRT is an 11-kilometre light rail transit (LRT) line that will run along the surface of Finch Avenue West between the new TTC Finch West Subway Station at Keele Street to Humber College (Hwy. 27). It will include 18 stops, including 16 surface stops, plus an underground interchange station at Finch West (connecting to the new Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension), and one below-grade terminal stop at Humber College. Learn more

About this consultation
Metrolinx's Design Excellence team recently studied harmonization of regional transit wayfinding which includes station, stop and interchange naming. A set of principles were established for selecting names consistently across the regional transit network, helping to make transit easier to navigate.

2. Logical - Logical names provide a mental link when trip planning, they should be relevant to the area they reside
  4. Self-locating - Names should allow users to mentally locate themselves within the region
For the Finch West LRT line, applying these principles has led us to propose changes to four stop names. Recognizing the importance of balancing technical requirements with public input, we are seeking your feedback on new names:

We value your feedback. Your comments will be evaluated and a report analyzing all the responses will be posted following the online engagement closure. Your feedback will considered by the Metrolinx Board at the next Board of Directors meeting on March 8, 2018.
Metrolinx back at it again with their station naming stupidity. One message for them: This is not GO Transit (regional transit), this is municipal transit.

Their ridiculous station naming logic should not apply to municipal transit. I wont even bother with their "feedback" since we all know it leads to nothing.

Metrolinx back at it again with their station naming stupidity. One message for them: This is not GO Transit (regional transit), this is municipal transit.

Their ridiculous station naming logic should not apply to municipal transit. I wont even bother with their "feedback" since we all know it leads to nothing.

Its even worse that they defy their own logic and make things more confusing.

"Eglinton" station instead of "Eglinton-Yonge" on the Crosstown. Wow, a station that spans the entire length of the LRT line?

"Bloor GO station" when there is a Bloor station on Line 1/2.

Its even worse that they defy their own logic and make things more confusing.

"Eglinton" station instead of "Eglinton-Yonge" on the Crosstown. Wow, a station that spans the entire length of the LRT line?

"Bloor GO station" when there is a Bloor station on Line 1/2.
I asked about this and they wouldn't comment when I brought up Sheppard-Yonge:
Eglinton-Yonge.PNG

Attachments

• Eglinton-Yonge.PNG
    Eglinton-Yonge.PNG
    70.6 KB · Views: 309

I’ll try.

I had a guess looking from some of the maps from Metrolinx that a couple buildings would be demolished in the expropriation process, it appears we have the first casualty.

2492 Finch permit.JPG

2492 Finch.JPG

streetview
2492 Finch 2.JPG

My guess is that a partial demo of a store or two from Finchdale mall (2512 Finch) where the community office is will be next based on the maps, although they may be able to shift everything south a bit to avoid it.

2512 Finch.JPG

streetview
2512 Finch 2.JPG

Attachments

• 2492 Finch permit.JPG
    2492 Finch permit.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 2492 Finch.JPG
    2492 Finch.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 2512 Finch.JPG
    2512 Finch.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 2492 Finch 2.JPG
    2492 Finch 2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 349
  • 2512 Finch 2.JPG
    2512 Finch 2.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 348
It’s a commercial building, so it can be torn down as soon as it’s vacated (unlike residential), and the tax assessment goes down at that time.

If expropriation is going to take a while, the current owner may want it gone rather than sitting empty.

- Paul

I'm surprised they're applying for demolition before they've even selected a builder for the FWLRT.
They have lots of early works already occurring that have been tendered through the regular process. Utility relocations have been ongoing for a while now, large stretches of finch have been down 2 lanes for months. This is probably similar. It's similar to Hurontario, which also has utility relocations ongoing currently, and the Crosstown, which had its entire tunnel contracts issued through traditional procurement.

Metrolinx is really getting ridiculous with its stop naming policy. It makes literally zero sense for local lines. I think people are smart enough to recognize that different lines will encounter the same street. You don't need a unique name for each instance. It makes the whole system more complicated and more confusing rather than less so. It's going to lead to more head-scratching with people wondering where the F they are. The names should be intutitive first and foremost. If people have to learn a stop name, it's already failed. And yes I do consider station names like St Andrew and St Patrick to be failures because to this day they still confuse people (i.e. me).

Metrolinx is really getting ridiculous with its stop naming policy. It makes literally zero sense for local lines. I think people are smart enough to recognize that different lines will encounter the same street. You don't need a unique name for each instance. It makes the whole system more complicated and more confusing rather than less so. It's going to lead to more head-scratching with people wondering where the F they are. The names should be intutitive first and foremost. If people have to learn a stop name, it's already failed. And yes I do consider station names like St Andrew and St Patrick to be failures because to this day they still confuse people (i.e. me).
One of them is King/University and the other is Dundas/University, or is it Queen/University. If I remember to recall there is an Osgoode station, then I know that's City Hall West (ie. Queen/University). Beats me which St. is which.

About Finch West LRT

About this consultation

Next stop: 1911 Finch Ave. West
1. Simple - street address, simple enough
2. Logical - this is a bit subjective
3. Durable - unless they change the street's name
4. Self-locating - also subjective, adding a cross-street descriptor might help
5. Unique - how many "1911 Finch Ave. West" are there in the city?

I think some TTC bus stops are already named this way.

Next stop: 1911 Finch Ave. West
1. Simple - street address, simple enough
2. Logical - this is a bit subjective
3. Durable - unless they change the street's name
4. Self-locating - also subjective, adding a cross-street descriptor might help
5. Unique - how many "1911 Finch Ave. West" are there in the city?

I think some TTC bus stops are already named this way.
Hmm. Adding a number to every rapid train station/stop would be interesting.

Back