News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not sure if that's intended as an actual proposal or as a joke, but in fact it is very reasonable. Continue on Finch East all the way to McCowan, then turn south and connect to the Scarbrough Subway terminus, whether it is at STC or at Sheppard. Another branch can go even further east and serve Malvern.

Definitely not a joke. The Finch East bus is as well used as the Finch West.

A general rule is that consultant fees (design) are 10% of a project budget , and design would be essentially complete at this point.

Also, actual expenditure will be much higher than this ones "budget" as the budget is set in 2010 dollars, and actual expenditure will be in the dollars of the year it is spent.

I've noticed that Toronto City Planning has started using year-of-expenditure estimations when pricing projects. It's a more accurate representation, although it does make projects appear to be a lot more expensive than they really are.

wait a minute, if you don't count Line 3 or 4 how do you have 5 lines?
Finch West LRT is Line 6, and Yonge-University, Bloor-Danforth, Scarborough, Sheppard, Eglinton, and Finch West makes it 6. So either it @Reecemartin made a typo, or one of the lines "don't qualify".

Line 3 is probably ignored because it's slated to be replaced by 2025, and it follows the exact path of a would-be subway, compared to Sheppard which spurs off from Yonge. I'd actually argue we currently have 6 lines + the SRT (Yonge, University, Spadina, Bloor, Danforth, Sheppard), and by 2025, there'll be Eglinton and Finch West as well.

On the other hand, Finch west isn't actually that long. If they remove about 1/3-1/2 of the stops, then the stop numbers would be equal to Scarborough + Sheppard. One could assume both those lines in terms of length make up the entirety of one line (but this gets funky once we consider the university line).

Planning should start now on extending the Finch LRT to Yonge, and then east into Scarborough. Where would a good final terminus in the east end be?

Planning should start now on extending the Finch LRT to Yonge, and then east into Scarborough. Where would a good final terminus in the east end be?

I think a further westward extension is more valuable, especially with Metrolinx mentioning a sheppard west subway extension in the 2041 draft plan. Besides, getting to the airport from north toronto makes a lot more sense with the new transit terminal being built.

There shouldn't be a terminus, as it should become a loop with Eglinton West/Crosstown/East LRT. :D

Say goodbye to this line once Ford wins. Eglinton it too far along to kill, but this one will be part of a budget cut as no serious construction has started. Rob Ford killed Sheppard East LRT in a similar state, and Doug will kill Finch West. He will claim that Rexdale deserves a subway, but of course it makes zero sense to build one. Private sector will build it of course. :)

I hope I'm wrong but sadly in Toronto and the world history tends to repeat itself.

Say goodbye to this line once Ford wins. Eglinton it too far along to kill, but this one will be part of a budget cut as no serious construction has started. Rob Ford killed Sheppard East LRT in a similar state, and Doug will kill Finch West. He will claim that Rexdale deserves a subway, but of course it makes zero sense to build one. Private sector will build it of course. :)

I hope I'm wrong but sadly in Toronto and the world history tends to repeat itself.

Finch West will be too far along come election time.

Construction doesn't really matter; gas plant construction hadn't started either. It's strictly based on the state of the contract and whether the vendor will let them off the hook for only the profits + expenses outlayed (equipment leases, hiring, etc. will start the day of financial close) or if they drive for the entire payment owed.

I personally don't think Stubway 3 and 4 qualify as Proper Lines...

I always thought that the Sheppard Line should have been operated as a branch line of Line 1.

Every other train north on Line 1 goes to Finch or Don Mills.

TTC seem to have branch line phobia, lots of other transit systems operate them.

I always thought that the Sheppard Line should have been operated as a branch line of Line 1.

Every other train north on Line 1 goes to Finch or Don Mills.

TTC seem to have branch line phobia, lots of other transit systems operate them.
I feel this should only happen when it gets extended to Sheppard West and connect it with the Spadina/University Line. Not a good idea to "extend" the Yonge Line.

Back