News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To be frank if the LRT routes are successful, and I imagine they will be. I think seeing them extended quickly would be likely given it shouldn't take too long to construct. Though if they were smart they'd extend Finch underground to Finch Station and create another line similar to Eglinton to the north.
Or, a few pedestrians could be hit and killed on Eglinton, a car runs into the LRT train or even a sinple car-car collision clogs the entire system, and a car drives into the portal. Then we will be cursing whoever had the stupid idea to spend 98% of the cost of a fully grade-separated transit line - but have it on street for 5km.

And yet the Finch bus in that area is overflowing. In Toronto, density is not a good predictor of ridership.
I'm not debating the role rapid transit could play between Finch West and Finch Station.

But I am questioning the need for an underground LRT over an at-grade LRT in that stretch.

Have you looked at the stretch of Finch between Keele and Yonge Street by Google satellite imagery by any chance? Aside from a cluster near Bathurst, it is not very dense, contains employment lands, and a ravine.
Maybe that's why the entire line should have been in the Hydro corridor instead of on Finch.

And yet the Finch bus in that area is overflowing. In Toronto, density is not a good predictor of ridership.
If its overflowing (have we seen any numbers on whether the Keele to Yonge portion is still overflowing?) and there's no density, that means people are using Finch for more distant travel and not local.
Thus, should have focused on RAPID, which means fully grade-separated.
Could have been done in Hydro ROW, and maybe elevated from Weston to Hwy. 27.
Alternatively, could have better bus connections to UPE (and/or a grade-separated ECLRT), or rapid transit along the Bolton GO corridor, or a West leg of the DRL?

But I am questioning the need for an underground LRT over an at-grade LRT in that stretch.
Finch is quite wide for most of this. The plans have always been for above ground. Presumably they'd grade separate Yonge in the same manner they have done other streets in above-ground locations (such as Yonge on Finch West, and Don MIlls and Kennedy on Eglinton East). I suppose that Dufferin and Bathurst are the other locations that they'd have to consider. Maybe Beecroft?

Certainly most of it can easily be on the surface without much issue!

Maybe that's why the entire line should have been in the Hydro corridor instead of on Finch.
I don't see how that will help people to get to and take the line.

Perhaps there should be a road there instead!

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to say meh, I expect Finch will see a lot more frequency especially than Viva. I'm ok with minimal shelters if I'm not gonna be waiting more than 3.5 mins on average.
Bet you won't say that when it's a day with weather we've seen in the past few weeks. I get that we only get those in this city once or twice per year, but the whole point of the shelters is to protect passengers from the elements, especially the wind. What good is it if it can't accomplish that? (though, I wont' get into how our glass shelters shatter in wind, as that's a different issue..)

If its overflowing (have we seen any numbers on whether the Keele to Yonge portion is still overflowing?) and there's no density, that means people are using Finch for more distant travel and not local.
Thus, should have focused on RAPID, which means fully grade-separated.
Alternatively, could have better bus connections to UPE (and/or a grade-separated ECLRT), or rapid transit along the Bolton GO corridor, or a West leg of the DRL?
There is a problem running a vehicle in a row above ground in the Hydro corridor it’s called high voltage !
230kilovolts or 230,000 volts overhead if you noticed that they’re very high up but droop down between transmission supports and anything that is conductive will induce some of the EMF or Eddy currents there by you or other passengers on a LRT or other means of transport might get a tingling sensation.
Or bees ? stinging feeling!
I don’t think ? most people would like it doesn’t feel very good when it does happen
Also Hydro One will not permit this unless there is path created to avoid being directly under a low line 230kv
You might get away with a bike path or roadway for low service vehicles ?
They ground themselves so as to avoid this mild torture

That's not physically possible for Phase 1 (Keele to Hwy 27) because the hydro corridor doesn't run parallel to Finch for most of the route's length. From Keele to Hwy 400 (that's about 3 km), the hydro corridor is parallel to Finch. After crossing the 400, the hydro corridor veers south-west, towards the 401/427 interchange area.

For the future phases, there may be a case for using the hydro corridor in some sections, if Hydro One permits that. In particular, Bathurst to Yonge (depends on the exact location of the Finch / Yonge LRT station), and then east of Yonge up to Don Mills.

There is a problem running a vehicle in a row above ground in the Hydro corridor it’s called high voltage !
230kilovolts or 230,000 volts overhead if you noticed that they’re very high up but droop down between transmission supports and anything that is conductive will induce some of the EMF or Eddy currents there by you or other passengers on a LRT or other means of transport might get a tingling sensation.
Or bees ? stinging feeling!
I don’t think ? most people would like it doesn’t feel very good when it does happen
They should ban walking and driving under them (see below).
Also Hydro One will not permit this unless there is path created to avoid being directly under a low line 230kv
If only somehow Hydro One was a public entity that could work for the public good (it was when this was planned). Somehow in the 1960's to the 1980's, they were perfectly ok with Streetcars or ICTS in the hydro corridors.
1969ttcplanmap_web.jpg

You might get away with a bike path or roadway for low service vehicles ?
So if they allow cars and buses, then transit partially trenched (to achieve the necessary clearance) or off to the edge of ROW would work - depending on whether you want to go over or under cross roads. .
They ground themselves so as to avoid this mild torture
Actually, rubber tire vehicles are not grounded - but steel rail is.

That's not physically possible for Phase 1 (Keele to Hwy 27) because the hydro corridor doesn't run parallel to Finch for most of the route's length. From Keele to Hwy 400 (that's about 3 km), the hydro corridor is parallel to Finch. After crossing the 400, the hydro corridor veers south-west, towards the 401/427 interchange area.

For the future phases, there may be a case for using the hydro corridor in some sections, if Hydro One permits that. In particular, Bathurst to Yonge (depends on the exact location of the Finch / Yonge LRT station), and then east of Yonge up to Don Mills.
I meant along Finch - although I haven't planned out the details.

That actually seems likely and would be a great idea. You have 100's of thousands of people going through Union every day, great way to improve awareness.

I'm gonna have to say meh, I expect Finch will see a lot more frequency especially than Viva. I'm ok with minimal shelters if I'm not gonna be waiting more than 3.5 mins on average.

Probably for ads anywhere. People these days have a very short attention span so you have to get it quickly and get your message across fast. Would be great on Instagram and Twitter as well. Not the greatest for youtube though, I guess they just posted it there to archive it or something.

Back