News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That does not prove anything, either way. A large and highly formal system like Toronto's roads department performs repairs on a schedule, and is unlikely to defer it for LRT unless there is a confirmed construction schedule for LRT. Yes that is inefficient in some cases, but it is hard to operate such a large system without following a set of rules.

I expect that if John Tory gets elected, Finch LRT will be built. Tory will not actively push for it, but will co-operate with Metrolinx; and Metrolinx has no reason not to build it with the Liberal government in place.

Resurfacing is just milling the road surface. They take off the old surface and recycle it back to be used as new pavement material. It's better than filling in the potholes, but not as good as a true reconstruction job. See this link. The subsurface or foundation is usually not touched, unless there is utility work involved..

The Request for Quotation (RFQ) for the FWLRT was issued this spring. The Request for Proposal (RFP) will go out in Fall 2014.

The Request for Quotation (RFQ) for the FWLRT was issued this spring. The Request for Proposal (RFP) will go out in Fall 2014.
I don't think the RFQ was issued. Are you sure?

The presentation from the open house last month on the project website - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/finch_west.aspx shows the RFP being in the second half of 2014 (looks like the beginning of the last quarter to me).

Construction to start in first part of 2016.

Finch West LRT Timeline.jpg

Attachments

• Finch West LRT Timeline.jpg
    Finch West LRT Timeline.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 589
I don't think the RFQ was issued. Are you sure?

The presentation from the open house last month on the project website - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/finch_west.aspx shows the RFP being in the second half of 2014 (looks like the beginning of the last quarter to me).

Construction to start in first part of 2016.

View attachment 31988

I was basing what I said in my previous post on Infrastructure Ontario's Spring 2014 Market Update. It might have changed since then.

I was basing what I said in my previous post on Infrastructure Ontario's Spring 2014 Market Update. It might have changed since then.
Ah, April 2014. It came out a couple of weeks before the election was called. That impacts the timing, stopping them from being able to release the RFP.

At this point, I expect they are scared shitless to release anything that could possibly attract any attention during the municipal election. My money is on November.

That's for the LRT Andrew. Preparatory construction.

Doesn't sound like it to me. Why would you rebuild the medians if they will have to be torn out a few years from now and moved? This construction obviously is totally uncoordinated with the proposed LRT line. If this really were LRT related then the construction notice would say so.

As far as I can tell Tory wants to raid the Sheppard/Finch budget to pay for his SmartTrack proposal. There is something on his website explaining it, the idea doesn't seem that crazy, it talks about linking the two main suburban office park areas in Mississauga and Markham to downtown. Though I suspect that running along Eglinton is no longer possible due to city council shortsightedness. Clearly there is a limited amount of money so I don't think Tory really has a choice but to do this if he wants to fund GO expansion. He may be flip flopping about the Sheppard/Finch issue but I suspect that the province doesn't really want to build these lines, because they are so controversial and because GO expansion costs so much that it leaves no money left over for anything else. Why else did the Liberal platform say "transit solutions on Sheppard and Finch"? Sounds like they want to put bus lanes on these two roads or something.

I've lived on Spadina for 10+ years now and never once have I ever heard anyone complain about the Streetcar ROW. In fact, the only time I hear anyone complain about transit on Spadina is when the busses are running. People hate them.

Doesn't sound like it to me. Why would you rebuild the medians if they will have to be torn out a few years from now and moved? This construction obviously is totally uncoordinated with the proposed LRT line. If this really were LRT related then the construction notice would say so.

As far as I can tell Tory wants to raid the Sheppard/Finch budget to pay for his SmartTrack proposal. There is something on his website explaining it, the idea doesn't seem that crazy, it talks about linking the two main suburban office park areas in Mississauga and Markham to downtown. Though I suspect that running along Eglinton is no longer possible due to city council shortsightedness. Clearly there is a limited amount of money so I don't think Tory really has a choice but to do this if he wants to fund GO expansion. He may be flip flopping about the Sheppard/Finch issue but I suspect that the province doesn't really want to build these lines, because they are so controversial and because GO expansion costs so much that it leaves no money left over for anything else. Why else did the Liberal platform say "transit solutions on Sheppard and Finch"? Sounds like they want to put bus lanes on these two roads or something.

Never give up on your dream of LRTs being cancelled! Every road resurfacing or repair is another positive sign that no LRT will be built!

[video=youtube;VcjzHMhBtf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0[/video]

http://www.johntory.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/OneToronto_Backgrounder_Two_Surface_Subways.pdf

Also there is a bunch of anti-LRT language at the bottom of this document, criticizing the Spadina and St. Clair streetcar.

"Solving Toronto’s mobility crisis cannot be achieved by building new freeways to “liberate the carâ€, nor can it be done by unattainably expensive levels of underground subway construction. An alternative approach – LRT lines running down city streets – has proven to be a massive source of political friction. This is because it pits transit imperatives against automobile imperatives by forcing the two uses onto the same literal patch of ground. The result, as we have seen on Spadina and most spectacularly on St. Clair West, is severe political friction, with drivers alleging a “war on the carâ€, and transit activists fighting back with equal ferocity."

Hardly anti-LRT; just pointing out that LRT tends to face an uphill political battle. Based on that, there is no reason for Tory himself to fight against LRT.

Construction on our FWLRT isn't scheduled to begin until 2016.

If you guys have not noticed, the construction time for this has been pushed back again. I clearly remember metrolinx saying 2015

I've lived on Spadina for 10+ years now and never once have I ever heard anyone complain about the Streetcar ROW. In fact, the only time I hear anyone complain about transit on Spadina is when the busses are running. People hate them.
Because, they like you, are downtowners. People in the suburbs don't want to deal with streetcars, which is why they live there.

Back