News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If you guys have not noticed, the construction time for this has been pushed back again. I clearly remember metrolinx saying 2015

Because, they like you, are downtowners. People in the suburbs don't want to deal with streetcars, which is why they live there.

Because no one commutes from the suburbs to downtown and uses streetcars right?

People in the suburbs don't want to deal with streetcars, which is why they live there.

That would be a rather odd reason to move into suburbs, given that the majority of downtown streets do not have streetcars, either.

Something tells me that the difference in property prices is a greater factor ...

That would be a rather odd reason to move into suburbs, given that the majority of downtown streets do not have streetcars, either.

Something tells me that the difference in property prices is a greater factor ...

Also strange that people live in the suburbs in cities without streetcars.

Yeah I seriously doubt anyone moves to the suburbs to get away from streetcars ;)

I really don't understand this streetcar hate. When I'm driving I find busses far more aggravating, especially if I'm on downtown streets with only one driving lane. The idea of having every streetcar in the city replaced by two or three busses sounds like a nightmare to me.

Maybe I'm just more patient with streetcars because I'm a bit of a streetcar fanboy :eek:

Edit: Yeah, that's probably it. Whenever I'm driving beside a streetcar what goes through my mind is: "wow, look at that marvel of transportation. look at the hundreds of people on it. look at how much more space efficient it is than my car. And somehow it manages to move way more people than busses, even though it appears to be not that much larger. Wow."

Last edited:
Don't worry Andrew, Sheppard and Finch will be canceled. I can guarantee it. Probably sometime in 2020 and 2021 respectively. When that happens, we can both celebrate ;)

Yeah I seriously doubt anyone moves to the suburbs to get away from streetcars ;)

I really don't understand this streetcar hate. When I'm driving I find busses far more aggravating, especially if I'm on downtown streets with only one driving lane. The idea of having every streetcar in the city replaced by two or three busses sounds like a nightmare to me.

Maybe I'm just more patient with streetcars because I'm a bit of a streetcar fanboy :eek:

Edit: Yeah, that's probably it. Whenever I'm driving beside a streetcar what goes through my mind is: "wow, look at that marvel of transportation. look at the hundreds of people on it. look at how much more space efficient it is than my car. And somehow it manages to move way more people than busses, even though it appears to be not that much larger. Wow."

The main issue I hear about from drivers is that both lanes are blocked to cars when people get on/off. This obviously doesn't apply to St Clair or Spadina.

I wouldn't mind seeing more island stops like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/OPouK
even if it takes away some space from the sidewalks.

Both lanes will be blocked with left-turning cars and when a bus stops to load/unload passengers. 1, maybe 2 cars are able to turn left on a green cycle. Buses won't improve anything. When I tell my streetcar hating friends this, they just double down and proclaim their hatred for streetcars.

Last edited:
  • Issue Finch RFQ - October 2014
  • Complete Reference Concept Designs for Finch - January 2015
  • Complete Finch Project Specific Service Output Specifications and Project Specifications - Spring 2015
  • Select pre-qualified bidder for Finch (based on RFQ) - April 2015
  • Commence Environmental Assessment for MSF - April 2014

Hopefully it's designed such that the Finch LRT can be extended to Yonge some time in the future.

Back