News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are barely 350 TTC parking spaces at Don Mills station, hardly even a dent.

350 parking spaces. At 1.3 to 1.6 people per vehicle, that means between 455 to 560 people. At 250 per train car, and four cars per (Sheppard) train, not even a single train load.

TTC imports Aussie executive
Published On Thu Sep 08 2011
Tess Kalinowski Transportation Reporter

The TTC has hired a new chief operating officer from Australia to make the trains and buses run on time.

Andy Byford, the chief operating officer of RailCorp in Sydney will arrive in November. He will also wear the title of deputy general manger, making him second-in-command to TTC chief general manager Gary Webster.

The hiring marks the second time this year that the TTC has looked abroad for executive material.

New TTC customer service director Chris Upfold came from the London Underground where Byford worked as general manager before moving to Sydney in 2009.

A news release by the government-owned RailCorp, which runs regional commuter rail in New South Wales, says Byford is moving to Toronto for personal reasons. His wife is Canadian and he has a sister in Toronto.

The hiring comes after an international search and internal reorganization following the sudden retirement earlier this year of TTC general manager of operations Rick Cornacchia.

It also comes in the wake of an attempt by Mayor Rob Ford to oust Webster from the top job at the TTC.

The transit system is facing a severe budget challenge. It is projecting an $85 million operating shortfall next year and a $1.5 billion capital funding gap over the coming decade.
http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1051247--ttc-imports-aussie-executive

Last edited:
I stand to be corrected, but this is the 2nd time someone has been hired from the outside of TTC for a high ranking position.

The other person was Dave Gunn.

I expect this person will replace Webster when his contract is up or it will be someone from outside of TTC who will be an yes man for Ford.

I don't see anyone in TTC at this time that can fill the GM position either as a yes man or being their boss.

The TTC just announced a special meeting of the commission on a "personnel matter", because of a petition "signed by the majority of the Commissioners".

Odds are that the knives are out amongst Ford's loyalists.

Media Advisory

February 17, 2012

TTC Public Notice
Special Commission Meeting – Feb. 21, 2012

A special meeting of the Toronto Transit Commission has been called for Tues., Feb. 21, 2012 at 2 p.m. to consider a personnel matter, pursuant to a petition signed by a majority of Commissioners. The meeting will be held at Toronto City Hall. The committee room location is to be determined and will be communicated on the morning of Feb. 21. The meeting will be convened in public, but the TTC’s procedural bylaw may require the Commission to go in-camera for part of its deliberations.

A copy of the meeting notice and petition will be posted online at ttc.ca under “public meetings” by end of day today.

The TTC just announced a special meeting of the commission on a "personnel matter", because of a petition "signed by the majority of the Commissioners".

Odds are that the knives are out amongst Ford's loyalists.

Well, they can't fire Stintz, but Gary Webster might have a target on his forehead. If the commissioners fire the GM because he is following City Council's direction on building LRT's, then I really hope to see Council call another special meeting and fire the commissioners who vote for Webster's removal. They should then appoint councillors who voted for LRT the plan.

It could be something else entirely.. and that's what I'm most worried about. Technically, because Ford loyalists hold a majority of seats on the commission, Ford controls the TTC. He can direct TTC staff to ignore Council's direction to build LRTs and then my friends.. Shit.Will.Hit.The.Fan.

I'm beginning to get the sick feeling that Ford is going to just throw a wrench in the gears in a childish fit and say "If I don't get my way, nothing will be built". Council can get around this but Ford will always be there at the next turn slowing things down.

EDIT: City Hall insiders are saying that the special meeting is indeed about firing Webster. In public, councillors on the commission are denying it. If they do plan on firing webster, council should call a special meeting ahead of the TTC's special meeting and reshuffle the commission. The TTC GM job can't be a political football. It's too sensitive a job to be thrown back and forth with political winds. Ford is turning out to be one irresponsible motherfu....

Last edited:
Well it looks like Webster will be fired. They could not get Karen Stinz so they went after Webster. Just heard this on 1010 Talk radio

Well, they can't fire Stintz, but Gary Webster might have a target on his forehead. If the commissioners fire the GM because he is following City Council's direction on building LRT's, then I really hope to see Council call another special meeting and fire the commissioners who vote for Webster's removal. They should then appoint councillors who voted for LRT the plan.

It could be something else entirely.. and that's what I'm most worried about. Technically, because Ford loyalists hold a majority of seats on the commission, Ford controls the TTC. He can direct TTC staff to ignore Council's direction to build LRTs and then my friends.. Shit.Will.Hit.The.Fan.

I'm beginning to get the sick feeling that Ford is going to just throw a wrench in the gears in a childish fit and say "If I don't get my way, nothing will be built". Council can get around this but Ford will always be there at the next turn slowing things down.

EDIT: City Hall insiders are saying that the special meeting is indeed about firing Webster. In public, councillors on the commission are denying it. If they do plan on firing webster, council should call a special meeting ahead of the TTC's special meeting and reshuffle the commission. The TTC GM job can't be a political football. It's too sensitive a job to be thrown back and forth with political winds. Ford is turning out to be one irresponsible motherfu....
If this is true, then Ford will just become a spectator on council and nothing more. Let me put this in terms he can understand: as mayor he is the captain of the team, not the coach. His job is to generate confidence amongst his teammates that he is leading them in the right direction, not to act unilaterally with council following his lead blindly.

The Star article, from this link:

TTC’s Gary Webster faces axe

Tess Kalinowski Transportation Reporter

ffa63a9c4f4e8b621270b1334fd8.jpg

Ford allies on the TTC board have called a special meeting Tuesday at which they’re expected to call for the firing of TTC chief general manager Gary Webster.

It’s a clear signal to city workers that anyone who disagrees with the mayor risks losing their job, said city councillor Joe Mihevc, a staunch Ford opponent, and former vice-chair of the TTC.

Firing Webster could cost between $400,000 and $500,000 to buy out his contract, said Mihevc. In 2010, Webster earned $281,931.37. He has been at the TTC for 35 years.

Those who signed a petition for the special TTC meeting are city councillors Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Cesar Palacio, Vince Crisanti and Frank Di Giorgio.

Webster’s only sin has been to disagree with Ford on the issue of whether or not the city should build subways, said Mihevc, a staunch opponent of the mayor.

“If they are successful, no one is safe at the city,” he said.

TTC chair Karen Stintz, who led a move at council to upend Ford’s subway plan, earlier this month, has been away with her family for the past week and isn’t expected back until Sunday evening.

“They would fire Karen if they could,” said Mihevc. But that requires a majority of city council, which has clearly indicated they back the TTC chair.

Webster was off Friday afternoon but will be at work on Tuesday, according to TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

Personnel matters are typically dealt with behind closed doors.

Even though he didn’t support Stintz at council, TTC vice-chair Peter Milczyn publicly praised Webster’s competence at last week’s special council meeting.

Time to call, e-mail, text, etc. your councillor to fire or remove city councillors Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Cesar Palacio, Vince Crisanti and Frank Di Giorgio from the board at the Toronto Transit Commission. They do not act in the best interest of the transit user, but follow the anti-transit dictates of the Supreme Leader Rob Ford.

The Star article, from this link:

Time to call, e-mail, text, etc. your councillor to fire or remove city councillors Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Cesar Palacio, Vince Crisanti and Frank Di Giorgio from the board at the Toronto Transit Commission. They do not act in the best interest of the transit user, but follow the anti-transit dictates of the Supreme Leader Rob Ford.

Thanks for the list. I've tweeted it. However, I anticipate Denzil-Minan-Wong will not follow Ford's lead on this.

The big point coming out of this will be the cost -- firing Webster simply because he supports the transit direction *adopted by council* could cost close to a half a million dollars. That figure could be much higher if Webster opts to pursue a wrongful dismissal suit.

Unless the commission has something else planned, firing Webster will amount to a fantastic example of wasteful spending.

Here is a link to the agenda for the meeting:

http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commiss...gs/2012/February_21_Special_/Agenda/index.jsp

Declaration of Interest - Municipal Conflict of Interest
RESOLUTION TO CONDUCT A PORTION OF THE MEETING IN THE ABSENCE OF THE PUBLIC (COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE) IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 29 OF THE TTC BY-LAW TO GOVERN COMMISSION PROCEEDINGS AND SECTION 190 OF THE CITY OF TORONTO ACT

Confidential Attachments (TTC Procedural By-Law Section 29 and City of Toronto Act Section 190 (2)
TTC Personnel Matters (Verbal)
(This report contains advice or communications about personal matters pertaining to an identifiable individual and labour relations or employee negotiations)

Wow. This is all out civil war at City Hall. The next move would be for Council to call yet another Special Meeting to fire councillors Norm Kelly, Vince Crisanti, Frank Di Giorgio, Denzil Minnan-Wong and Cesar Palacio. They're actively working against the will of City Council and against the best interests of the city and transit riders.

Back