News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is no way that the province wants to get involved in removing a sitting mayor. That is especially true for a Toronto conservative mayor -- Toronto is a Liberal stronghold, so removing Ford would not get them any more ridings in the city, but would likely anger conservatives in other ridings.

Presented with a large enough petition they would be forced to allow a recall election of one type or another. It might take a 200,000 signatures though.

I don't know if there is even an existing mechanism for municipal recall elections, and I can't imagine the province being able to pass legislation creating such a mechanism just for this instance.

I'm afraid we're on our own here. But that's not necessarily as bad as it sounds, as long as Council realizes that our weak mayor system means Ford is essentially just another councillor, and can be ignored if there is the will.

rbt:

Why go through the trouble? Just treat him like a persona non grata and work with council instead - shut him out of everything. The willing members of council need to get their act together fast, strip the existing committees of hard Ford loyalists but bearing in mind the need for a "grand alliance" approach, coalesce around a centrist, pragmatic leader and have a functioning shadow executive ready and willing to play hall with the province and deliver the votes.

AoD

Last edited:
Stintz said she won't try to reverse Webster firing or remove Ford loyalists from TTC. Says she'll respect TTC majority decision. I guess that's setting an example: Council's majority decision should be respected and so should Transit Commission even if we don't like it.

Nonetheless, there's been talk about taking away the Mayor's powers that are not granted in the City of Toronto Act. Most of the Mayors powers are by-laws at Council level. They can turn him into essentially a powerless figurehead, just another councillor with a nicer than average office.

Last edited:
Presented with a large enough petition they would be forced to allow a recall election of one type or another. It might take a 200,000 signatures though.
It would have to be a lot higher than that. Over 800,000 voted in the last election. And only about 50.6% voted. There were over 1.6 million eligible voters.

Given the unprecedented nature of such a petition, I'd think it would have to be a minimum of 50% of those who voted - say 400,000 signatures. But in reality, I'd think it would have to be a significant majority of total voters.

So perhaps if one million Torontonians would sign such a petition it might have a chance.

Even then, I'd think the province would be reluctant to set a precedent to the hundreds of other municipalities in Ontario. We can't be the first person to ever vote in such a bad mayor.

MetroMan:

That's where I disagree - Council is final; TTC serves at the pleasure of the former - and the bylaws reflect such. Stintz not doing her utmost to protect Webster sends the wrong message - if you don't protect those who spoke their minds when you are in a position of power, just what moral high ground does one end up with, and what message does it communicate to those who are in a similar position? The optics looks rather bad on her.

AoD

Stintz said she won't try to reverse Webster firing or remove Ford loyalists from TTC. Says she'll respect TTC majority decision. I guess that's setting an example: Council's majority decision should be respected and so should Transit Commission even if we don't like it.
Stintz may be saying that, but that doesn't mean Council couldn't work to reverse the decision.

Stintz may be saying that, but that doesn't mean Council couldn't work to reverse the decision.
Exactly. This is what I really like about Stintz. She's definitely working hard in the background to build a consensus position. Webster likely can't be saved, but she'll make sure the sheep pay. That's what I love about the smart women politicians, they've just such a bigger talent than most men at long term big picture strategy, soft touch consensus and team building without the narcissism. Imagine you're a middle of the road councilor and Doug Ford and Stintz invite you out for lunch - who you going with?

Last edited:
Webster likely can't be saved

If Council dissolves the TTC board, a new board could presumably hire Webster back, or even "unfire" him (and thus avoid the severance payout). I suppose it depends on when a "firing" is actually finalized.

Maybe I'm wrong but given that the meeting is taking an unusually long time, there must be some negotiating going on. If the 5 councillors who called the meeting were sure of their decision, they could just walk in and do the deed. It doesn't take 2+ hrs to fire someone. I have a hint of hope that one or more of those 5 will come to their senses. I thought Minnan-Wong would back out but I was surprised that he even signed the petition.

Last edited:
Signing the petition is just to call the meeting. Minnan-Wong said he'd respect the will of council. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes against firing Webster.

^ That's what I'm hoping for. We're going on THREE hours now. Webster might still get fired (likely) but it doesn't look like all the councillors went in with their minds made up.

They're out of the meeting.

The Motion: Provide Gary Webster with immediate written notice of the termination of his employment

Andy Byford, new interim General Manager

Last edited:
Webster was fired.

Crisanti, DiGiorgio, Palacio, Kelly, and Minnan-Wong vote in favour of the motion.

Last edited:

Back