News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My thanks to GraphicMatt for his great and to-the-point live commentary on his twitter feed.

With it only being 5-4, it does not bode well for future stability.

I can't imagine a scenario where Webster was not being able to see this day before he spoke at council - maybe he doesnt want the job anymore?

AoD

With it only being 5-4, it does not bode well for future stability.

Not when 5 of the 9 are Ford plants who will mindlessly do his bidding.

In March, the TTC board will be dissolved and I assume Council will choose a better representation.

What hypocrisy. Ford claims a major victory by cutting sandwiches at Council meetings but thinks nothing of blowing a half a million dollars to seek revenge on a non-political city employee. Make no mistake, this is Ford declaring war on City Council and he must be a complete idiot to think that he can win. The numbers were already against him but he just lost yet another ally: Peter Milczyn who is on the Mayor's own hand picked Executive Committee. I can't see Berardenetti and Robinson backing this insanity for much longer.

As for Webster, he's coming out of this in a good place. He served honourably, leaves with his head held high and a pocket full of cash. He's leaving the meeting and can call his wife to tell her that he gets to retire a year and a half early but still gets paid.

I'm not sure of the reasons for the wait. Maybe to avoid risking the political provocation of another special meeting.

Still, council can still vote to fire the TTC council, which I wouldn't be surprised to see coming: esp. those who voted to fire Webster: Minnan-Wong, Kelly, Crisanti, DiGiorgio, Palacio.

Between Transit City cancellations, Jarvis bike lane removal, and now the firing of Mr. Webster, Ford has run up a bill that could total about sixty-seven million dollars, on top of the political, intellectual and structural damage he's doing the city. Unbelievable.

Ford is a fool to lose Milczyn. A damned fool. Good for Milczyn though - I was proud of him saying he couldn't support the firing today.

As I've said elsewhere, if Ford REALLY wants subways, he needs council's support. His job is to get council on board with his visions, and to convince then that his plan is best. Further polarizing council from him with stunts like this is just going to make his subway dream more of a fantasy than it already is.

I don't think anything can surprise me anymore, as much as I wish to say "unbelievable", quoting CN.

Ford has made all the right enemies.

Steve Munro:
"It is my fervent hope that this whole debacle will force Council to strip the mayor of every power he might have that is granted by Council, not by the City of Toronto Act (most powers are in Bylaws, not in COTA). He can cut the occasional ribbon and spend a lot of time at the family cottage."

Indeed.

I would like to hear the justification from the morons who voted for Ford because they were so desperate for a freaking subway. Pathetic.

I don't know if there is even an existing mechanism for municipal recall elections, and I can't imagine the province being able to pass legislation creating such a mechanism just for this instance.

No, there is no municipal (or provincial) recall mechanism.

Point being, enough signatures and it would come to exist.

In March, the TTC board will be dissolved and I assume Council will choose a better representation.

Civilians will be on the board. Webster, now a civillian, will be on the TTC Commission.

This is my prediction though I doubt it will play out that way.

Back