News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Official report
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...have-councillors-and-citizens/article2359388/

In another sign Toronto’s Mayor has lost control of the transit agenda, council has decided to dissolve the Ford-friendly TTC and replace it with a mix of citizens and yet-to-be named councillors.

Councillors voted 29 to 15 Monday in favour of the proposal by TTC chair Karen Stintz, who is risking her job to ensure a new commission supports council’s plan to build above-ground light-rail transit.

Mammoliti nominated Carroll to add to a bunch of left nominees and dilute the left vote. GraphicMatt made another good point: Ford may want Shelly Carroll on the TTC so that if she runs against him in 2014, he can say she was a part of the TTC mess.

The Ford bros seem to be accepting that they've lost control of the TTC and will wait it out for 2 years and point to the lefty TTC as what was wrong in the past term.

City staff is now counting the ballots.
The nominees: Cho, Stintz, Parker, Augimeri, DeBaeremaeker, Palacio, Pasternak, Colle, Robinson, Crawford, Milczyn
7 will be chosen.

I was pretty sure I heard Perk but then he kinda got up and I did not hear what he said. Did he decline the nomination? I was surprised Joe Mihevc was not nominated as he was on the board already and I also thought Kristyn Wong-Tam was nominated

Last edited:
New TTC board

Cho, Stintz, Parker, Augimeri, DeBaeremaker, Colle, Milcyzn.

Ford completly loses control of the TTC.

I was pretty sure I heard Perk but then he kinda got up and I did not hear what he said. Did he decline the nomination? I was surprised Joe Mihevc was not nominated as he was on the board already and I also thought Kristyn Wong-Tam was nominated

Perks, McMahon and Carroll all declined their nominations. KWT wasn't nominated.

Wow. But I just heard on the John Tory show that Mammoliti will put a motion forward now to cut council down from 44 to 22. And that he is doing this without Ford knowing. But if Ford voted because I heard them read who everyone voted for and Ford;s name was mentioned how could he not know Mammoliti will be doing this? Apparently Ford had said he was not going to put this forward until the last year of his mandate because then council would be chaos. Apparently Mammoliti is doing this because then the spotlight will not be on Ford losing another vote

Last edited:
I was surprised Joe Mihevc was not nominated as he was on the board already and I also thought Kristyn Wong-Tam was nominated

That surprised me, too. Mihevc knows the transit file pretty well.

But perhaps he declined voluntarily in favor of a more centrist make-up, in order to avoid accusations that the TTC board is highjacked by "LRTstas".

Stintz put an end to speculation that the new TTC board would bring back Webster -- neither as GM nor as one of the private citizen commissioners. Things may change, but she's letting the Webster thing end here.

But perhaps he declined voluntarily in favor of a more centrist make-up, in order to avoid accusations that the TTC board is highjacked by "LRTstas".

I'd say that's it. The makeup of the new board is fairly suburban and centrist, making it harder for Ford to claim that the TTC has been taken over by downtown pinkos (not that he won't try).

Let them redraw the wards so that they will be the same as provincial and federal ridings. Last time I checked, the majority of suburban wards are left leaning. People like George and Doug will be out of work much faster than they expected to be...

Let them wait, and redraw wards to fairly reflect 2011 census population. Centre-left would have a clear majority then I think.

The election of Cho was strange. The man seems sincere, and he has been the most vigilant (in a peculiar way) at calling out the bs of the Fords. But he doesn't express himself that well politically, and seems isolated. I thought Mammolitti, being an asshole, nominated him as a joke candidate and as a strategy to siphon away votes from other possible nominees. The Ford faction voted for him insincerely, the grownups decided to allow that to stick, and the result was that Cho netted more votes than any other councilor. (Edit: Okay, I was just looking through the vote tallies and I was wrong about this, looks like Josh Colle was the most favoured candidate, with 37 votes. Which makes more sense.) Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Cho had just been actively campaigning for the position for the last week and made a deal with Stintz and Matlow. The election of Pasternak or Robinson, transit users who probably care about the health of the TTC, instead of Cho could have been a good fence-mending move that would have benefited the commission. But maybe that kind of compromise isn't necessary, as Stintz, Parker and Milcyzn already come from the right wing.

Last edited:
The election of Cho was strange. The man seems sincere, and he has been the most vigilant (in a peculiar way) at calling out the bs of the Fords. But he doesn't express himself that well politically, and seems isolated.t

There may be a language issue there with Cho because English is not his first language. But that has not stopped him from being vocal and getting up to talk and that has impressed me about him. I saw it also during budget cut meeting, etc.. There are some like Josh Colle who I never see get up to speak and his English is perfect. Plus I think its good that he does represent Scarborough and voted against Ford's plan,. Now Ford cannot say the commission has been hijacked by downtowners. Do the councillors that get on the board get extra money? I wonder how the councillors decide who to nominate in the first place (did they all know ahead of time) and then how its decided who will take back the nomination. I thought I heard Mammoliti say once that councillors do not get extra money for sitting on committees. Is this true?

Let them redraw the wards so that they will be the same as provincial and federal ridings. Last time I checked, the majority of suburban wards are left leaning. People like George and Doug will be out of work much faster than they expected to be...

How then do they decide who gets to run in which ward? But I guess councillors will be completing with each other and anyone else entering the races. Well it will be interesting and i cannot wait for Mammoliti to be gone. it is really sick how he tries to always pit Toronto or should I say downtown against Scarborough. And he represents a ward in North York that he states can wait 50 years to get a subway.

Last edited:
I thought I heard Mammoliti say once that councillors do not get extra money for sitting on committees. Is this true?

I believe the chair and vice-chair of a committee/commission receives some additional expense money to cover the additional travel/staff required to do the job.

Back