News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

classified
lots
too much

Take your pick.

I suppose holding this in some resort up north thereby inconveniencing the fewest people would have made too much sense.
There isn't a resort anywhere that can hold a big group like the G-20. It is just an insane amount of people.

There isn't a resort anywhere that can hold a big group like the G-20. It is just an insane amount of people.

Absolutely. I don't know why people can't figure this out? Their isn't enough hotels, and your not going put world leaders and their officials, in the Wigamigawonga Inn. :D

Wow. I'd rather have have three kilometers of DRL subway instead of three days of security, but such is our federal government.

-----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...costs-could-reach-900-million/article1580105/

"Security for the G8-G20 summits will cost taxpayers close to $1-billion.

Supplementary estimates released by Parliament Tuesday indicate federal government will spend $654-million on security on top of the $179-million announced in March, for a total of $833-million.

The total figure greatly exceeds some published media estimates of the overall costs.

In fact, the government anticipates the final cost could exceed $900-million, meaning that the cost of providing security to world leaders meeting for a few days of meetings near Huntsville, and then Toronto, will cost as about as much as was believed to be spent for security during the two-week-long Vancouver Olympic Games. "

holy crap! couldn't they just video chat over the internet?

well, i guess nobody can complain now that the conservatives don't spend money on toronto. :p

If we're going to be part of the G20 then it is our responsibility to host the thing every now and then despite the costs and hassle. Also, like other world events, this will help put us on the map internationally. I live and work downtown so this will be a major headache.

If we're going to be part of the G20 then it is our responsibility to host the thing every now and then despite the costs and hassle. Also, like other world events, this will help put us on the map internationally. I live and work downtown so this will be a major headache.

Canada has always been on the map internationally. The G8/G20 does absolutely nothing to promote the City or Country, in fact the images of protests will hurt Tourism. It is also at a time when we normally have lots of visitors, that we actually like to have visit.
This is a Billion dollar photo op of world leaders patting themselves on the back for no reason. If the leaders were fiscally responsible this would be done as a teleconference.

Exactly this is the G20 not the Olympic games! The average Joe has no interest in G20 or G8 summits. This is will do nothing for Toronto's tourism.

It's mind-boggling that a 2 day event should result in a bill of close to a billion. Seriously, that's like 2/3 of the TOTAL public (not just Federal) investment for the Toronto waterfront. And what do we have to show for this event, which was being shoved down our throats after the Feds figured out their original plans sucked? At least Huntsville has leveraged some monies from the said level of government for their part. What do we have to show for it?

AoD

Absolutely disgusting. So much more could be done with that money, that would better serve the interests of this country.

if silvio berlusconi runs up to the base of the CN tower, stands against it and pretends it's his penis and then waves to angela merkel, this whole event might just be worth it!

let's be honest.... we can't even get a 'bridge' built to the island... you think a full on 5 star hotel to house delegates and their entourage?

no.

This is the way it's done in the big leagues. I don't think the other 19 countries would have any problem with Canada dropping out of the club. There are plenty of others willing to step up if one wants to keep the round number. Hopefully by the next time it is Canada's turn to host we will no longer be part of this club.

Remember that it was originally the G-5 and the USA felt a bit isolated with three Euros and Japan. Canada was then brought in during the Mulroney years and as part of the deal Italy also came in.

These are the "adults". From what I read on this forum a majority would rather Canada not be among them. That would be very easy to arrange.

Back