News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm getting really tired of the same re-hashed right-wing comments justifying what happened Sunday.
How is it right wing to suggest that people who walk into a danger zone do so at their own risk. If there had been a huge fire downtown instead of a riot/protest, no one would be suggesting that they had a right to be there because they live in the area, or worked in the area, or were a reporter and needed to cover the event, etc, etc. No, everyone would be keeping the hell away, and anyone who went downtown despite the fire would have done so at their own risk.

There was a riot/protest going on. If you live downtown, stay in your house until it passes. I specifically avoided Allan Gardens because I knew there would be trouble. This isn't right wing, it's common sense, and the majority of Torontonians agree with the police reaction to the event - and Torontonians are some of the biggest centre-left voters in the country.

and the majority of Torontonians agree with the police reaction to the event ...
I'm yet to meet one Torontonian in the real world who supports the police beating journalists and imprisoning TTC employees doing their job.

Perhaps the majority of Torontonians working in Ernst Zundel's basement agree with the police reaction ....

How is it right wing to suggest that people who walk into a danger zone do so at their own risk. If there had been a huge fire downtown instead of a riot/protest, no one would be suggesting that they had a right to be there because they live in the area, or worked in the area, or were a reporter and needed to cover the event, etc, etc. No, everyone would be keeping the hell away, and anyone who went downtown despite the fire would have done so at their own risk.

Re-hashing your silly argument yet again, replacing the running of the bulls for some sort of mega-fire not seen in these parts since 1904 as a comparison to a bloodless "riot" which resulted in smashed windows and three burning cop cars on Saturday only. And despite such a huge fire in 1904 that consumed much of the downtown, and attracted thousands of curious residents, no one died, and there were no arrests.

Last edited:
I'm yet to meet one Torontonian in the real world who supports the police beating journalists and imprisoning TTC employees doing their job.

Perhaps the majority of Torontonians working in Ernst Zundel's basement agree with the police reaction ....

I'll be happy to stand up and be counted. I think the police presence was 100% due to the protestors specifically not renouncing violence before the event, and I think that the police acted properly. I don't think they acted with restraint, which is what the protestors/commentators seem to expect. The police arrested a gazillion people to sort the wheat from the chaff. You might not like the tactic, but that's a different thing.

So... one.

Majority of Canadians believe hosting G20 a mistake: poll

Globe and Mail article at this link.

A majority of Canadians believe it was a mistake to host the G20 summit in Toronto, according to results of a Global News-Ipsos Reid poll released on Monday.

The poll, taken from a sample of 1,859 adults, revealed 62 per cent of Canadians and 70 per cent of those living in the Greater Toronto Area said they agreed holding the G20 in downtown Toronto was a mistake.

More than 1,000 people were arrested in connection with G20 protests, which saw violent clashes with police, burning police cars and smashed storefronts in Toronto’s downtown core.

It’s also sparked demands for an enquiry into police actions during protests surrounding the conference.

Respondents were also asked if the summit was worth having in Toronto, given the results reached by leaders. A majority 56 per cent still said no.

The difference was even larger among respondents in the GTA, where 61 per cent disagreed.

“Next time, do we want it? People clearly say no,” John Wright, senior vice president of Ipsos Reid, told Global News.

“When 30 per cent or 40 per cent of the public says they're concerned about how an event took place, that's a lot of people. You're dealing with close to 10 million people that say,’ just a second here, this is worth taking a sobering look - did we do it right, can we do it better next time?’”

Police actions

The poll found that 76 per cent of Canadians and 81 per cent of those in the GTA agreed that the police ‘did a good job during the summit.’

In the wake of the riots, police have faced criticism of not being forceful enough with protesters, while others have pushed for an independent inquiry on the use of force.

But the poll found that a majority 71 per cent of Canadians and 74 per cent of GTA residents believed police used an appropriate amount of force in dealing with protesters.

A similar proportion of respondents believed that police were adequately prepared to deal with the violence.

“We find people who essentially say that while it was a mistake overall to host the summit in a downtown core where all kinds of people are inconvenienced - businesses closed, damages take place - the police were balanced overall in terms of their approach,” said Wright.

When asked whether “police were prepared to handle the violent hooligans on Toronto’s streets,” 71 per cent of Canadians and 74 per cent of GTA residents agreed police were prepared.
© Copyright (c) CW Media Inc.

I didn't say that he was a Toronto officer or for that matter an officer from any Canadian law enforcement agency. He could have been recruited from outside the country. A paid operative that was brought into the country and put up in a safe-house during the duration of the G20.

Probably from the same group that is keeping the alien landings a secret and also organized the inside job that blew up the WTC. I'm sure they've got a 1-800 Rent-a-covert-operative phone line. Are you for real?

How is it that none of the dozens of locals who would need to know about this scheme have leaked even the slightest suggestion? Surely given the blatant illegality of it someone would have had enough of a conscious to mention to their spouse, drinking buddy, fellow officer, their qualms. Just imagine the scandal many of the media would love to trumpet.

Yet they haven't. What does this suggest to you?

The fact that he was so bold as to show is face proves two things 1) he was not afraid of getting arrested 2) He was not afraid of being identified by this photograph since there is probably zero media coverage of this story where he is from.

Doesn't PROVE anything. He could also have been a complete moron who thinks trashing a police car will convince the populace that his political ideology is a worthwhile thing for society. Complete morons from out of town (out of province? out of country?) don't necessarily grasp concepts such as the consequences of their public actions.

I will say it again, if he HAD been arrested I have no doubt the Police would have announced his arrest with great fanfare. Look at the example they are making of the IT expert arrested in a raid on his Forest Hill home! Apparently his only crime was he planned to embarrass the police

Just because you personally have no doubt about something doesn't make it true. Are you familiar with all the other arrests from the past week, both connected to the G-20 and unrelated? Do you know how many have been formally charged and what those charges are? Do you know whether any of them have still be denied their right to counsel? What about their right to a fair trial? If they've already arrested the punk and have photographic evidence they feel is enough to convict, maybe there isn't anything to be gained by holding his trial in the media before holding in front of a judge. Maybe the police learned from the Forest Hill arrest and are making sure all their ducks are in line before broadcasting their arrest coup. But then you have no doubt that none of those things are possible or plausible.

However, at the last minute, they allowed the temps to stand outside and catch a glimpse of the Queen arriving at RIM HQ Waterloo, so she did so. She says there were snipers on the roof, cops in riot gear everywhere. Crazy! Just a stupid suburban work site in Waterloo!

Don't know they keep calling it a "factory". RIM HQ is the design, engineering, and business headquarters for RIM. The reason why it's a tennis-ball-throw-away from the Waterloo campus is because so many of the white-collar employees there are UW co-ops or grads, and so many of the biz types are Laurier co-ops or grads. It would be like visiting the Redmond campus for Microsoft, or the Mountain View office of Google.

(Why the Queen would want to tour a factory? I wouldn't bother.)

I suppose engineering prototypes are made there, but I'm quite sure it's more of an R&D place than a factory/assembly line place. Someone check the bottom of their BB to see where it's made in. :p

I wonder how the Queen put up with the heat today? Stop at Timmie's in downtown Kitchener for an ice cap? :p

I wouldn't be surprised. Brits seem to love our Tim Horton's for some reason! Which is surprising because most fast food there is miles ahead of our fast food type places.

I suppose engineering prototypes are made there, but I'm quite sure it's more of an R&D place than a factory/assembly line place. Someone check the bottom of their BB to see where it's made in. :p

Made in Canada!

Made in Canada!

I stand corrected. Maybe THAT's why RIM's been losing ground in the smartphone war. They need to outsource their manufacturing to China so they can sell it for cheaper. (Then we can enjoy antenna problems unless you hold the phone with 3 hands, upside down)

Possibly the grossest act of police brutality I've heard yet: http://niagaraatlarge.com/2010/07/0...ntario-mpp-calls-the-whole-episode-“shocking/

Thorold, Ontario Amputee Has His Artificial Leg Ripped Off By Police And Is Slammed In Makeshift Cell During G20 Summit – At Least One Ontario MPP Calls The Whole Episode “Shocking”
July 5, 2010

By Doug Draper

John Pruyn wasn’t much in the mood for celebrating Canada Day this year.

John and Susan Pruyn at home and away form the G20 summit in Thorold, Ontario. Photo by Doug Draper

How could he be after the way he was treated a few days earlier in Toronto by figures of authority most of us were brought up to respect, our publicly paid-for police forces who are supposed to be there to serve and protect peaceful, law-abiding citizens like him.

The 57-year-old Thorold, Ontario resident – an employee with Revenue Canada and a part-time farmer who lost a leg above his knee following a farming accident 17 years ago – was sitting on the grass at Queen’s Park with his daughter Sarah and two other young people this June 26, during the G20 summit, where he assumed it would be safe.

As it turned out, it was a bad assumption because in came a line of armoured police, into an area the city had promised would be safe for peaceful demonstrations during the summit. They closed right in on John and his daughter and the two others and ordered them to move. Pruyn tried getting up and he fell, and it was all too slow for the police.

As Sarah began pleading with them to give her father a little time and space to get up because he is an amputee, they began kicking and hitting him. One of the police officers used his knee to press Pruyn’s head down so hard on the ground, said Pruyn in an interview this July 4 with Niagara At Large, that his head was still hurting a week later.

Accusing him of resisting arrest, they pulled his walking sticks away from him, tied his hands behind his back and ripped off his prosthetic leg. Then they told him to get up and hop, and when he said he couldn’t, they dragged him across the pavement, tearing skin off his elbows , with his hands still tied behind his back. His glasses were knocked off as they continued to accuse him of resisting arrest and of being a “spitter,” something he said he did not do. They took him to a warehouse and locked him in a steel-mesh cage where his nightmare continued for another 27 hours.

“John’s story is one of the most shocking of the whole (G20 summit) weekend,” said the Ontario New Democratic Party’s justice critic and Niagara area representative Peter Kormos, who has called for a public inquiry into the conduct of security forces during the summit. “He is not a young man and he is an amputee. …. John is not a troublemaker. He is a peacemaker and like most of the people who were arrested, he was never charged with anything , which raises questions about why they were arrested in the first place.”

Pruyn told Niagara At Large that he never was given a reason for his arrest . When he was being kicked and hand-tied, police yelled at him that he was resisting arrest. Then a court officer approached him two hours before his release on Sunday evening, June 27, and told him he should not still be there in that steel -mesh cage. So why were Pruyn and his daughter Sarah, a University of Guelph student, who was locked up somewhere else, detained in a makeshift jails for more than 24 hours, along with many other mostly young people who, so far as he could hear and see, had nothing to do with the smashing of windows and torching of a few police cars by a few hundred so-called ‘Black Bloc’ hooligans that weekend?

Why was Pruyn slammed in a cell without his glasses and artificial limb, with no water to drink in the heat for five hours and only a cement floor to sit and sleep on before his captors finally gave him a wheelchair? Why was he never read his rights or even granted the opportunity to make one phone call to a lawyer or his family – the same rights that would be granted to a notorious criminal like Clifford Olsen or Paul Bernardo?

He never received an answer to these questions and, he said, “I was never told I was charged with anything.” Neither were many of the others who were penned up in that warehouse with him, including one person who was bound to a wheelchair because was paralyzed on one side and begging, over and over again, to go to the washroom before finally wetting his pants.

Pruyn said others in the warehouse begged for a drink of water and younger people made futile pleas to call their parents to at least let them know where they were. In the meantime, Pruyn’s wife, Susan, was frantically trying to find out from the police and others what happened to her husband and daughter. She found out nothing until they were finally released 27 hours after she was supposed to meet back with them at a subway station near Queen’s Park.

So what was this all about and why were John and Sue Pruyn arrested if they were part of the gathering of peaceful demonstrators in the Queen’s Park area? Was their crime to dare to come to Toronto in the first place and join with those who express concerns about the G20 and whether it has any concern at all for the environment, for people living in poverty, for fair access to health care and other issues important to people around the world who fall into the category of ‘have nots’?

Pruyn wonders if the idea of the crackdown was to send a message to the public at large that gatherings of opposition to government policies won’t be tolerated. “That is (Prime Minister Stephen) Harper’s attitude,” he said. “He doesn’t like dissent in his own (party) ranks.”

Kormos said some might respond to the crackdown against the G20 summit demonstrators by saying that they should have stayed home or they should not have been there, or that if they were swept up by the police, they should have nothing to worry about if they did nothing wrong. But that misses the point, he said. It misses the possibility that this was another example of the province and country sliding down a path of clamping down on citizens’ right to gather together and express views that may not be popular with the government of the day.

Kormos stressed again that a public inquiry is needed, not only for those demonstrators arrested and roughed up during the summit, but for those shop owners in Toronto that had their stores vandalized by a horde of hooligans with little apparent presence of police officers to prevent it.

Asked if there was any possibility a few hundred black-clad vandals were allowed to run wild to make the thousands of people there to demonstrate peacefully look badly, Kormos responded; “That’s why we need a public inquiry.”

Susan Pruyn agreed. “ We need a public inquiry for all of the people who went (to Toronto) with good intentions and who ended up suffering that weekend,” she said.

Apparently you're the minority. Unless the polls are asking the wrong people and incorrectly polled. Majority don't feel people have rights who live/work/hang out downtown. Maybe that is why Toronto has garnered so much hate? "Torontonians think they are the centre of the universe", "Torontonians are cold (like other big cities)." As the city expands, we've lost our concern for others and only have concern for ourselves. It's not to say everyone is like that, but a majority. Although NYC is labelled as a cold place, I have met a few nice people. As in Toronto, there are a few nice people but many don't care unless it's an inconvenience to themselves.

Good news - an independent review of TPS actions during the G20 will go forward. It's better than nothing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...olice-g20-conduct-moves-ahead/article1629887/

Actually what we are getting is nothing. The so-called "independent" inquiry will be headed by someone chosen from a list of candidates hand-picked by Alok Mukherjee. Alok has had nothing but praise for how the cops conducted themselves during the G20. He is a lap-dog for Bill Blair as are all the other board members. This inquiry will not even be public and Mukherjee has indicated that some findings could be kept confidential based on HIS discretion.

It is a sham and so far it is working perfectly since all of the media are reporting this as some kind of "big reversal' by the police services board. That we are "getting an independent inquiry after-all". Its depressing to see how easy the media and with it - most of the public - can be bamboozled by these people.

How is it right wing to suggest that people who walk into a danger zone do so at their own risk.

If I remember correctly. Bill Blair said because of the huge amount of police in the area. Downtown Toronto will be the safest city in Canada. How did the safest area become the most dangerous area? Just because a few bad apples created problems, it's so much the police can't handle it and drags everyone into detention? It becomes incompetence.

Back