News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There was also some talk about the classical Lillian Massey building that now houses the Ombudsman and Club Monaco becoming the art gallery for the U of T when the current leases expire, around 2009/10. That would be fantastic.

That would be great: that gallery is quite under-visited currently, and the Bloor/Queen's Park site would give them amazing exposure. Oh what synergy would be creaed by it all...

mq-logo-gateway.gif

Museums Quarter Toronto? Brilliant.

Any other cultural institutions looking for a new home? (Maybe, say... a planetarium?)

Kid's museum, Museum of Textiles...Museum of Medicine...

AoD

The Museum of Textiles has a great location, and a fair amount of space too. I can't imagine them moving ... until my dream comes true and 77 Elm goes condo - and the parking levels are turned into a cultural centre - when it would be perfect for them!

On the topic of sites for cultural facilities along this stretch, is there a possibility that the lawn in front of Ainsely Hall facing the ROM would ever be sold for redevelopment as a cultural site?

^I did not mean as a condo site or gas station but a complementary use to the surrounding facilities.

I agree that a concentration of musuems into the one area would be a very positive step: to build on cdl42's reference to Vienna's MuseumQuatier, that is a wonderful collection of buildings around a great courtyard which becomes a huge open-air bar by night. (Three cheers!) While we couldn't quite do that in this location, we could certainly look forward to increased awareness of all and any museums that were able to locate within sight of the others here.

That said, I would rather that the lawn in front of Annesley Hall stay a lawn. We don't have a lot of green space in Toronto's core, and I'm am against plowing bits like this under. Besides green space for the sake of green space, it provides the U of T and its colleges with some majesty by just having a little room to relax down there.

Otherwise, I say full steam ahead for any redevelopment projects in the area that could include more cultural facilities within them.

Victoria College isn't in the business of selling land - it still owns the land under the Collonade, McKinsey & Company and the building where Club Monaco is, for example.

Museum of Medicine...

It certainly would be nice to see a museum devoted to Toronto's contributions to medicine including the discovery of insulin, identification of the cystic fibrosis gene, T-cell receptor gene, world's first lung transplant, development of the cardiac pacemaker, etc...

But Victoria College does realise they are landlocked and must get as much use out of its campus. The Bader Theatre sits on land that was once occupied by tennis courts. As you have pointed out, the college sees no problem in itensifying the land it owns. The entire northern side of Charles is screaming for redevelopment.

The residence may be, but the soccer pitch is screaming "re-sod me, dammit, water me properly, but otherwise, leave me alone!"

ganjavih: I don't think it is still open, but here used to be a small Museum of the History of Medicine at 288 Bloor West.

Back