39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

IMG_2864.jpeg
IMG_2863.jpeg
IMG_2862.jpeg
IMG_2859.jpeg
IMG_2860.jpeg

I'm starting to give up hope that anyone designing infrastructure in this city does anything other than drive a car, let alone actually spend some time observing these areas before hand to truly understand the pinch points. That ramp was awful before for 2 reasons, 1 was the impossible switch back and 2 was the dangerous and difficult 90 degree turn required to exit the ramp onto the center st bridge. You have zero visibility coming up the ramp and turning onto it being able to see anyone coming up or down (at a higher speed too) the bridge. Plus you're spit out right in front of the lion where the bridge path is narrowed to the point you can't even pass another cyclist and there is a highly obstructed line of sight because of the pillars.

I just don't understand how they couldn't have designed a wider flared exit to help address that.

9th Avenue is a waste land
Is there a path to one day make 9th a grand boulevard?

Yes, I think so.

Don't make it so excessively wide (maybe make it two-way), add some greenery (not just trees), add bike lanes (keep 8th as a leisure bike lane, add 9th for commuting), and suddenly you have something.

From Millennium park to Fort Calgary and past multiple connections to the beltline, the Palliser, JRCAC, Arts Commons, Calgary Tower, and maybe a downtown rail station. I don't ever see it being a retail street, but it can still affectively move cars while actually contributing something to the downtown other than being a way through it. A guy can dream...

I think we have to accept that in many ways 9th will always be the McLeod Trail of downtown, so any attempt to improve it will probably always be a bit of a lipstick on a pig situation. It's the primary artery from the west, and thus has to handle a fairly large amount of vehicle traffic...which is never conducive to a great urban experience. I'm not sure what the answer is, although my feeling is that making it a two-way and trying to shoe-horn in some bike lanes will just create more gridlock, anger commuters, and not be a particularly pleasant experience for bikes either.

It's tough challenge, but as stated...atleast it can't get much worse.

I think we have to accept that in many ways 9th will always be the McLeod Trail of downtown, so any attempt to improve it will probably always be a bit of a lipstick on a pig situation. It's the primary artery from the west, and thus has to handle a fairly large amount of vehicle traffic...which is never conducive to a great urban experience. I'm not sure what the answer is, although my feeling is that making it a two-way and trying to shoe-horn in some bike lanes will just create more gridlock, anger commuters, and not be a particularly pleasant experience for bikes either.

It's tough challenge, but as stated...atleast it can't get much worse.
The more time i spend back in Calgary, the more I lean into the war on cars mentality. Give the suburban commuters more gridlock downtown its a minor trade-off to make life better for inner city residents. Fuck making suburban commutes faster and more comfortable at the expense of the neighbourhoods they pass through. They would argue the same from there position for there own neighborhoods

Last edited:

Back