News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The more time i spend back in Calgary, the more I lean into the war on cars mentality. Give the suburban commuters more gridlock downtown its a minor trade-off to make life better for inner city residents. Fuck making suburban commutes faster and more comfortable at the expense of the neighbourhoods they pass through. They would argue the same from there position for there own neighborhoods
I‘m always in support of more “balanced” transportation system which will inevitably include cars.

The problem is that arguing for “balance” in transportation today in practice is arguing for the status quo - which is far closer to complete hegemonic dominance of cars over everyone else. It’s meekly asking for a more “balanced” form a government when you’ve been ruled for a century in a one-party dictatorship. The game is rigged.

The needs of commuting cars are so different, so space inefficient, with so many extreme pollution, noise and safety issues that are largely paid for by the communities drivers pass through, that you can’t feasibly balance these needs of commuting drivers and the needs of everyone else.

What would actual balance look like in transportation? Maybe something like:
  • 30km/h everywhere except controlled access freeways.
  • No free street parking and no street designs that assume car storage is the responsibility of the public right-of-way.
  • No exceptions to minimum pedestrian widths for sidewalks, barrier free movement by design standard everywhere.
  • safe pedestrian crossings at every intersection, no exceptions.
  • Public sidewalk snow plowing.
  • Protected cycle tracks on all major roads, in every part of the city with no missing links.
So 9th Ave can still be a major car corridor, cars can still drive mostly everywhere - but they could do that while using about 5-10m less space on each corridor for vehicles, repurposing that space to sidewalks, trees and transit. That’s a balanced approach.

If my version of “balanced” transportation is too extreme for all areas of the city, surely it’s very applicable to areas of the city where cars have the largest negative impact and where the majority of trips are non-car already - such as the inner city.

I would love for there to be less cars downtown when I have to head down there for work. Early Covid days driving to/from work and getting around was such a breeze. If they could get it like that would be fantastic. My job requires I have a service vehicle and that I drive to where I will be working.

The more time i spend back in Calgary, the more I lean into the war on cars mentality. Give the suburban commuters more gridlock downtown its a minor trade-off to make life better for inner city residents. Fuck making suburban commutes faster and more comfortable at the expense of the neighbourhoods they pass through. They would argue the same from there position for there own neighborhoods
It's one of the reasons I'm so happy to see empty office buildings converted into residential. If the trend of conversions continue and work from home/hybrid continues we may actually get to a point where we don't need car sewer arteries like 9th ave or Macleod Trail for the sole reason of supporting rush hour commuters for 4 hour a day during weekdays.

I was down hanging around Comic Expo yesterday, and was amazed by how busy the area around the 17th ave entrance was. I had a great buzz going, but was offset by the buzzkill of 1st SE and Macleod trail. If Macleod or 1st SE were ever to become two way roads with retail the area would become a bit of an entertainment district, and it would even cost us any money.

Humpy Hollow Park
IMG_2978.jpeg

New LRT station
IMG_2981.jpeg

Leonard Development Group have acquired the two wartime era houses at 34th Ave and 18th St. According to the DP, they are planning on keeping the 34th Ave homes, adding a building on the 18th street side here where there is parking currently.

The Shops at Avenue 34 development by Leonard is amazing and has drawn in some great small businesses that have brought vibrancy to the area in the evening, so I look forward to this development as well.

Google Maps

Leonard Development Group have acquired the two wartime era houses at 34th Ave and 18th St. According to the DP, they are planning on keeping the 34th Ave homes, adding a building on the 18th street side here where there is parking currently.

The Shops at Avenue 34 development by Leonard is amazing and has drawn in some great small businesses that have brought vibrancy to the area in the evening, so I look forward to this development as well.

Google Maps
Cool, i love these smaller infill projects, this is the smallest i was aware of in my old neighbourhood: https://www.urbanyvr.com/lanefab-narrow-lot-development/

I would love to see something like this West End laneway infill here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1546+Nelson+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6G+1M1,+Canada/@49.2866963,-123.1355868,3a,75y,357.14h,104.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shZwhIIwsb213HKBYvu4cog!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m7!3m6!1s0x54867229ab606bf7:0xbf9241784e3945a9!8m2!3d49.2869385!4d-123.1353987!10e5!16s/g/11c17gmymd

I think this form of laneway intensification would work well in places like Mission and Ramsay to add intensity in the lane and allow for preservation of heritage homes.

1683040360356.png

Here's a more dense example that could work for places like Mission, Beltline, Sunnyside: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.287...4!1sr7XPtPLLNOODUU4AaovS5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
1683058064887.png

Here is a prime example of a place where i would love to see this form and scale of intensification happen where heritage could be preserved by intensifying underutilized sites:
1683058796678.png

Would also be an excellent way to intensify a place like Maggie Street in Ramsay.

Last edited:

Google Maps
Shoot! I was hoping for a patio (potentially covered) in the back yard of the two houses. Still glad it’s them redeveloping.

Leonard Group is the GOAT of character retail development - what they've done on 34th is fantastic.

That strip mall with the liquor store is a prime candidate for redevelopment next.
Sure, let's kick out a dozen small businesses, some of which are absolutely beloved in the community, because we don't like the way the strip mall looks.

I’m a regular customer of at least half the businesses of that strip mall. I hope it stays. Most of those businesses would not be able to find comparable spaces in Marda Loop.

Anyway, the whole point of this small-scale development is that it fits into the spaces in between existing buildings rather than demolishing entire blocks of thriving activity.

Sure, let's kick out a dozen small businesses, some of which are absolutely beloved in the community, because we don't like the way the strip mall looks.
Like it or not shermy, it's gonna happen sooner or later - especially with what Leonard has done in turning a sleepy street into a destination in just a couple years. Ideally (and likely) the redevelopment adds more commercial square footage than it takes away, meaning more local businesses!

I don't really care what the strip mall looks like, but you are correct that it's ugly. The problem is that its site plan is not particularly compatible with an urban area. The traffic circulation pattern creates conflict with pedestrians on 34th, and the blank north elevation and wide driveway create a hole in what is becoming an increasingly urban streetscape.

It's an underutilized parcel that is an attractive development site. Even a Certus style rework would be welcome here - maybe add a CRU + patio to the north side of the property next to the liquor store and reorient the parking.

Back