News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Great article, Thanks! I would love to see some more detailed information on the actual cost of conversion, and what the long-term repercussions would be once the next inevitable "Alberta Boom" creeps in. On a different note, wouldn't these conversion units be at least somewhat less desirable due to a lack of a balcony, or a window that opens to the outside world? Just based on the properties shown in the article, it seems a bit...institutional? Prison-ish? Nevertheless, it is nice to see these things at least being discussed.
Vancouver probably has some interesting contemporary examples to explore. If I recall correctly, their 1990s - 2000s boom saw a few large conversions in the city centre. Toronto is also converting a few buildings currently

Hello all. New here, so go easy on me. I think I might have PTSD from a brief, ill-advised dip into the waters of a different local construction forum. I have a bucket load of construction update images I am more than happy to post here (and discuss) if anyone is interested. I'll admit to being a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to posting pics, so if the images are too gigantic, upside down, or just plain weird looking, give me some feedback and I'll fix it as best I can.

Incidentally, BVS always gives me a big case of the 1980's heebie-jeebies. I worked there as a graveyard shift security guard when I was fresh out of high school, and I'm pretty sure the entire place is haunted by the ghosts of a thousand miserable sweater-clad yuppies.

Below is a pic test.
Welcome Danpersand. Trust me, we are all interested in construction pics and updates. I live for that kind of stuff :cool:

Hello all. New here, so go easy on me. I think I might have PTSD from a brief, ill-advised dip into the waters of a different local construction forum. I have a bucket load of construction update images I am more than happy to post here (and discuss) if anyone is interested. I'll admit to being a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to posting pics, so if the images are too gigantic, upside down, or just plain weird looking, give me some feedback and I'll fix it as best I can.

Incidentally, BVS always gives me a big case of the 1980's heebie-jeebies. I worked there as a graveyard shift security guard when I was fresh out of high school, and I'm pretty sure the entire place is haunted by the ghosts of a thousand miserable sweater-clad yuppies.

Below is a pic test.
Welcome aboard Danpersand :)

I find loading images are really easy here. Just hit the upload a file button and it will upload the file (looks like you uploaded the pic of the old Herald building). It should give the choice of full image or thumbnail. If you choose full image, it will automatically resize the image.

Below is a pic test.

Don't worry, most of us are transplants from said other forum. Welcome to the land of staying on topic and construction updates. Post away.

Great article, Thanks! I would love to see some more detailed information on the actual cost of conversion, and what the long-term repercussions would be once the next inevitable "Alberta Boom" creeps in. On a different note, wouldn't these conversion units be at least somewhat less desirable due to a lack of a balcony, or a window that opens to the outside world? Just based on the properties shown in the article, it seems a bit...institutional? Prison-ish? Nevertheless, it is nice to see these things at least being discussed.

There's no reason they won't install balconies and windows that open if that's what the market wants. Buildings that need new windows, elevators, etc. are those that get converted. Those in good condition will ride out the storm.

I'm looking into getting more detailed costs, as I'm interested in it also, but right now detailed costs are hard, as the comparisons would have to come from other cities.

If I had the money and wanted to do one of these buildings as a passion project, I'd go with gutting the floors and leaving them completely unfinished and empty, building only delineating walls to divide the space. It would be up to the owner to renovate the interior as desired. There may be some costs involved on plumbing as each space would need plumbing, and would also need its own electrical panel, but other than that, just a large open space.

The market is limited of course for those kinds of buyers, but I believe they are out there. They would be empty-nesters that would like to do their own loft conversion from scratch, and younger folks who just want a cheap space downtown and don't care if they live in basically a large bachelor suite. There's work for the owners, but with that also comes freedom to do something different than the norm.

As far as the office space itself, and the market. I believe Calgary has come to a turning point where older office space will finally become empty for a long enough period that they will become a question mark for the owners. In the past these booms have kept the buildings full and viable, and any downturns have not last long enough for the buildings to take a long-term hit where the landlord needs to make a big decision. Even if the economy picks up I'm not sure the older buildings will see the same glory they used to.

Below is a pic test.
Welcome Danpersand!

Vogue on 6th ave. today. The giant red "V" makes it look like a superhero fortress to me.
DSC00109.JPG
DSC00109.JPG
DSC00112.JPG
DSC00113.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    866.9 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 181
  • DSC00112.JPG
    DSC00112.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    884.3 KB · Views: 251
Telus Sky. I might be in love with this building, and can't wait for it to be complete.

By the way, is it better if I just post thumbnails? Are these too
DSC00129.JPG
DSC00130.JPG
DSC00133.JPG
DSC00136.JPG
gigantic?

Attachments

• DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    898 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    790.7 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 284
  • DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00136.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 279
Each of these projects have individual threads which we generally post the updates in. Great shots though.

Welcome Danpersand, and thanks for posting those pics!

I have to say, I'm not too crazy about that big red V on Vogue. It doesn't go with the rest of the building.

I was on Macleod today and I noticed that there is a drill on site for the Macleod Professional Centre. I haven't been down Macleod in ages so I don't know if it is a recent development or not, happy to see that corner moving forward though.

MacLeod Professional Centre _Day (Small) (3).jpg

Attachments

• MacLeod Professional Centre _Day (Small) (3).jpg
    MacLeod Professional Centre _Day (Small) (3).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239

Back