News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I'm probably crazy as well, but I've always kind of liked BVS towers lol. I'm not usually a fan of exposed concrete, but I think because it's light coloured rather than gray I find myself liking it.

Call me crazy, but I like the look of the Bow Valley Square towers. :D

I don't find anything offensive about the towers of Bow Valley Square. They're not great by any means; pretty standard, mass produced international style. Calgary does have much worse from that era and today's era.

Reactions: AJX
It's of its time. Sun Life is of its time too. I prefer the 1970s Bow Valley Square to the 1980s Sun Life. What do you guys like better?

A re-skin would only be done out of necessity and it would not be a high end job. It's not a complex that will ever command top rents.

These would make great condo conversions.

It's of its time. Sun Life is of its time too. I prefer the 1970s Bow Valley Square to the 1980s Sun Life. What do you guys like better?

A re-skin would only be done out of necessity and it would not be a high end job. It's not a complex that will ever command top rents.

I'm the crazy guy who likes BVS, so I'm taking BVS over Sunlife :) Serious though, BVS has almost a retro feel to it, There's an appeal for me whereas Sunlife, and some of the other late 70's and 80's tower are just plain banal.

They are very similar, I like the podium and lobby considerably more on BVS than Sunlife. I'll take the Sunlife towers though. They are both pretty boring so it isn't much of an acheivement for Sunlife. I'll give extra points to BVS for being home to those yellow and red nut and bolt street art characters too. I've always been fond of them. So, shockingly for me edge to BVS. :eek:

I'll keep crossing my fingers for that reclad anyway. :p

I would take BVS long before I'd take Sun Life. Sun Life is hideous, that's why I can't wait for that tall Chinatown project to go ahead.

Does anyone know a good source for office vacancy statistics? They tend to pop up in the newspapers every now and then, but I wouldn't mind keeping a closer eye on them if I can. I'm assuming its probably privately held by Emporis or CBRE or something and that I'd have to pay for a subscription to know, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone know a good source for office vacancy statistics? They tend to pop up in the newspapers every now and then, but I wouldn't mind keeping a closer eye on them if I can. I'm assuming its probably privately held by Emporis or CBRE or something and that I'd have to pay for a subscription to know, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Here's an article I wrote that has some of the stats.
http://calgary.skyrisecities.com/news/2017/02/will-calgary-begin-converting-office-space-residential

CBRE and others like Avison Young, Cushman Wakefield put the reports online but they are usually a couple of quarters behind.

Hello all. New here, so go easy on me. I think I might have PTSD from a brief, ill-advised dip into the waters of a different local construction forum. I have a bucket load of construction update images I am more than happy to post here (and discuss) if anyone is interested. I'll admit to being a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to posting pics, so if the images are too gigantic, upside down, or just plain weird looking, give me some feedback and I'll fix it as best I can.

Incidentally, BVS always gives me a big case of the 1980's heebie-jeebies. I worked there as a graveyard shift security guard when I was fresh out of high school, and I'm pretty sure the entire place is haunted by the ghosts of a thousand miserable sweater-clad yuppies.

Below is a pic test.

Attachments

• Herald+building.jpg
    Herald+building.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 192

Great article, Thanks! I would love to see some more detailed information on the actual cost of conversion, and what the long-term repercussions would be once the next inevitable "Alberta Boom" creeps in. On a different note, wouldn't these conversion units be at least somewhat less desirable due to a lack of a balcony, or a window that opens to the outside world? Just based on the properties shown in the article, it seems a bit...institutional? Prison-ish? Nevertheless, it is nice to see these things at least being discussed.

Back