News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Here's the current status of the East Village.

Grey: Existing Buildings
Green: Completed Newer Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges
Blue: Under Construction Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges
Red: Proposed Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges

View attachment 93424

Great map, thanks UW! Redevelopment may have taken forever to get going, but it sure has filled in quickly now that it has.

:eek: THIS IS THE GREATEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE! :eek:

Here's the current status of the East Village.

Grey: Existing Buildings
Green: Completed Newer Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges
Blue: Under Construction Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges
Red: Proposed Buildings, Parks, Plazas, Bridges

View attachment 93424

Looks good. That one big lot between 4th and 5th street could sure use some love.

Some big news from One Developments (formally WAM) today during their comment time regarding the Green Line development. They now own the bulk of the Curtis block (previously didn't have the old Arbys or the buildings on the SE corner) and are having meetings later today with the planning department regarding their development. They are looking in the neighborhood of 1400 apartments.

Not sure when they acquired the additional properties but they have updated the info on their website:
Curtis Block.jpg

Attachments

• Curtis Block.jpg
    Curtis Block.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
A run down of what's started in the East Village over the past 12(ish) months: St. Louis Hotel revitalization, New Central Library, N3, RioCan Retail Block, Verve, alt Hotel, and The Hat.

A run down on what we may see begin construction over the next 12 months: M2, and INK

A run down on what we may see officially proposed over the next 12 months: Courtyard I & II, N3 Phase II, and potentially Verve East.

Projects in the East Village that are on hold: National Music Centre Concert Hall, and River House

Projects in the East Village that are complete or close to complete: Evolution midrise, Pulse, Fuse, First, N3, Hilton Hotel, Simmons Restaurant Block, St. Patrick's Island Park, George C. King Bridge, National Music Centre

This development is going gangbusters!

Followed by a photo tour of the East Village, courtesy of CMLC...

Arialsmall.JPG

risesmall.JPG

spibridgesmall.JPG

Breachsmall.JPG

plazasmall.JPG

YCP-150803-144704_SM.jpg

2011-06-27+RiverWalk+Stage+1+Phase+1-From+Promenad-Mark+Eleven.jpg

riverwalk4.jpg

_D7X9909.jpg

riverwalk1.jpg

traverse1.jpg

IMG_0318.JPG

DSC_8743.jpg

_D3X1371.jpg

2011-09-22+Langevin+Bridge+%28at+night+close+up+blue+lighting%29+Mark+Eleven.jpg

http://www.evexperience.com/

Last edited:
Love that rundown on EV. You really scan see how much progress has been made in such a short time.

Some big news from One Developments (formally WAM) today during their comment time regarding the Green Line development. They now own the bulk of the Curtis block (previously didn't have the old Arbys or the buildings on the SE corner) and are having meetings later today with the planning department regarding their development. They are looking in the neighborhood of 1400 apartments.

Not sure when they acquired the additional properties but they have update the info on their website:
View attachment 93697

@Cyric WAM had purchased the Arby's portion back around April of this year.

1400 units is *a lot* For that type of parcel, there would have to be some tall ass buildings. Guardian has 600 and change on their parcel, and that's with two 40 something storey towers. This could get real interesting. :cool:

1400 would be huge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that number come down a fair bit as it works its way through planning. I figure they are going to try to squeeze 4 towers in there as the old massing had 3 on a smaller footprint.

1400 would be huge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that number come down a fair bit as it works its way through planning. I figure they are going to try to squeeze 4 towers in there as the old massing had 3 on a smaller footprint.

Assuming this is the case, that's averaging about 350 units per tower - I would guess that even if they could only get 3 towers approved with those similar unit counts we would be looking at something taller than the Guardian.

Very exciting to say the least. That corridor seems the most sensible for some of the tallest residential towers in the Beltline. The Green Line seems favourable to going down 12th - that definitely helps the chances of seeing this parcel get developed.

Using the best scientific reasoning available to us, if Guardian has 600 units over 84 floors, that's 7.1 units per floor. WAM looking to buildi 1400 at roughly the same unit per floor ratio would 200 floors.

Science has spoken! I'm going with one 70 storey tower, one 55 storey tower, and two 38 storey towers. Done!

Using the best scientific reasoning available to us, if Guardian has 600 units over 84 floors, that's 7.1 units per floor. WAM looking to buildi 1400 at roughly the same unit per floor ratio would 200 floors.

Science has spoken! I'm going with one 70 storey tower, one 55 storey tower, and two 38 storey towers. Done!
Science has spoken! WAM should hire you as the main designer ;)

A 70 storey tower in the Beltline might actually make me cry. haha

Calgary looks at building 500-stall parking structure in East Village
Structure would provide parking for National Music Centre, new library, entertainment district

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...500-stall-parking-structure-east-village.html

Hmmm. As a rule I'm against using land for parking in any capacity, but if it's going to cover up the CPR and convert some otherwise stagnant land... We could always tear it down in 20 years one we need a new place to build I suppose.

Back