News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

A dumpster fire is s good analogy. I have to say I've enjoyed the discussion here ever since I joined.

Welcome Fusilli! Glad to have you aboard.

Hey all, Fusili from SSP here. Looks like I'm joining Skyrise Cities (sounds really close to Cities Skylines, which I play way too often now), because SSP is a total dumpster fire. Looking forward to constructive discussions on construction, development and city building.

So..... cupcakes?

Welcome aboard! retrofiturbanism! your insights will be very much appreciated here.

Soooo excited to see this! Been waiting years for this project! :D
Hope they have a tight timeline, haven't seen much actual work there, mostly just fencing. This is the type of job that stretches on forever!

Welcome aboard retrofiturbanism! Nothing like shedding shackles from a cave of negative. This forum
is nothing but insightful, with great members.

Happy to join everyone. So much stuff going on in this city it boggles my mind. I need to drive (or better, cycle) by Marda Loop sometime. Looks like just an insane amount of stuff going on.

Been creeping this forum for months now, and decided it's finally time to create an account - all wonderful stuff and I love seeing all the development in Calgary!

Welcome both UrbanRED and RetroFitUrbanism! :D Great to have new members! Especially 2 in the same day!!!

Welcome aboard! retrofiturbanism! your insights will be very much appreciated here.

Hope they have a tight timeline, haven't seen much actual work there, mostly just fencing. This is the type of job that stretches on forever!
I am a little surprised they started before stampede. I know construction seasons are short, and it is always short term pain for long term gain, but to see a portion of the Eau Claire river pathway fenced off and torn up before Canada Day 150 celebrations and the Stampede, when we will likely have our highest number of tourists, is a bit rough.

I guess at some point you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Hey guys, I have a question I am hoping one of the resident architects, ATs or building code experts could answer for me.

Can a dwelling unit or apartment share a hallway with a commercial or non-residential unit in a building? So, if you have a mixed use building, with offices or say a medical clinic on the second floor, could you also have apartments on the second floor as well, using the same internal hallway as access? I know there is a land use bylaw rule against this (can't remember exactly where), but is there also a building code rule? Or to put it another way, could you propose a DC bylaw to get around this rule? Or is it a building code, and therefore life safety/non-relaxable rule?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all, Fusili from SSP here. Looks like I'm joining Skyrise Cities (sounds really close to Cities Skylines, which I play way too often now), because SSP is a total dumpster fire. Looking forward to constructive discussions on construction, development and city building.

So..... cupcakes?

What took you so long?

I walked the length of this today, a Thursday afternoon at 2:00 and not a single person working. Not one, anywhere. I expect we'll see this drag on.

Hey guys, I have a question I am hoping one of the resident architects, ATs or building code experts could answer for me.

Can a dwelling unit or apartment share a hallway with a commercial or non-residential unit in a building? So, if you have a mixed use building, with offices or say a medical clinic on the second floor, could you also have apartments on the second floor as well, using the same internal hallway as access? I know there is a land use bylaw rule against this (can't remember exactly where), but is there also a building code rule? Or to put it another way, could you propose a DC bylaw to get around this rule? Or is it a building code, and therefore life safety/non-relaxable rule?

Thanks in advance.
I know there is a condo for sale right now in the beltline that is this exactly, so I hope so!!

Thanks in advance.
There isn't a rule that really forbids it, there are certain uses that can't be combined with residential (industrial would be the obvious one), but nothing stating commercial has to be accessed separately. There are minimum fire ratings, travel distances and area limits that could require a fire rated door between the residential and commercial areas, but that would be about it. For security reasons, most developers will keep the access separate, don't really want anyone to be walking around a building unchecked.

Back