News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There was another plan posted here by Duck Lightning a little while ago.
And there was fewer trees in that empty space than you'd think:
1688139782603.png

What was previously on the site where the polar bears are going? I haven't been to the Zoo in a long time

The area marked "Polar Bear 1" was I believe a bighorn sheep, and the area marked "Polar Bear 2" was the bison area, and in the south end a whooping crane pond. The caribou area more or less remains the caribou area, but hopefully it gets a little nicer. I think the brown areas on the map might be second phase (or phase 1B) work; currently on the south side there are four predator habitats -- from west to east cougar, black bear, grizzly, wolf -- where the cougar and grizzly/flex habitats are. And the area on the west side that shows Bison used to be for deer; white tail I think.

I believe that the plan is to have basically three independent bear habitats; the grizzly, a western Polar bear one with a larger saltwater pool and underwater viewing on the north, and an eastern polar bear one with a smaller freshwater pool and viewing on the south. And that part of the plan is to occasionally mix up where the bears go, so they get a little new exploration from time to time rather than being stuck in the same space every day. IIRC, they have the same setup in principle with the gorillas, where one of the other primates spaces in the rainforest (Colobus?) is also an option to give the gorillas a staycation, but I don't know how often that gets done.

Honestly they should scrap the zoo. Half those animals hide from everyone anyways and seem shy/depressed. I get why they are popular, especially for kids. I loved it as a kid. But I kinda feel bad for those animals. But thats just my opinion

Honestly they should scrap the zoo. Half those animals hide from everyone anyways and seem shy/depressed. I get why they are popular, especially for kids. I loved it as a kid. But I kinda feel bad for those animals. But thats just my opinion
I understand the sentiment, obviously, it isn't ideal conditions for most animals. But the zoo isn't just about viewing animals, and I'd argue that its largely just a way for them to generate revenue to support all of the good things they do. Many animals at the zoo, like all their current black and grizzly bears, were rescued and would have been put down if the zoo hadn't taken them. Additionally, the Calgary Zoo does a lot of conservation work. Like, for example, the whooping crane would have gone extinct if it wasn't for breeding programs by Zoo's around the world including the Calgary Zoo helping to increase their population. The zoo also does s lot of important ecological research around Alberta.

This project is done finally, with one retail bay, but looks like a pharmacy will be opening soon.
View attachment 492803
I'm a little disappointed that this design was allowed on Bowness road. It's not that the building is ugly per se, but it looks like it belongs in an industrial park, not a main street. It's good to see things being built in Bowness, but I really wish this building had a better street feel.

Back