Link to article

New immigrants prefer suburbs to living in core neighbourhoods

ANTHONY REINHART

From Monday's Globe and Mail

* E-mail Anthony Reinhart
* | Read Bio
* | Latest Columns

March 31, 2008 at 4:43 AM EDT

When the trains rolled into Toronto's Union Station from Halifax in the 1950s, Italian newcomers could often be found wandering among the arriving passengers, unsure where to go or how to ask for help.

If they were lucky, they would be spotted by a volunteer from the Italian Immigrant Aid Society, who would take them into the city to find them a place to live and someone who might give them a job.

"Now, it's very clear we're seeing people that are coming directly from Pearson Airport, where they land, to a home in the 905," said Mario Calla, executive director of COSTI Immigrant Services, the large multi-location agency that evolved out of those humble early efforts.

"It started out as an Italian organization in the downtown area," he said, "but now, with the way immigration patterns have changed, our staff speak 63 different languages, and we have relocated our centres in new immigrant settlement areas," such as suburban York and Peel regions, Mr. Calla said.

A report to be released today by the University of Toronto's Centre for Urban and Community Studies illustrates, in graphic colour, the trend that made necessary the evolution of COSTI (an acronym for another of its old Italian names, Centro Organizzativo Scuole Tecniche Italiane): Almost all of Toronto's new immigrants are choosing the suburbs over downtown neighbourhoods.

Calling this a "dramatic reversal" of the settlement patterns of decades past, the study's authors cited several reasons.

In the case of poorer immigrants, lower-paying jobs have moved from the city to the suburbs, forcing many to follow suit to find employment.

Further, the gentrification of old downtown neighbourhoods that once served as magnets for new arrivals has driven up property values and reduced the supply of cheap housing, the report says.

Meanwhile, changes in Canada's immigration policy that favour higher-income immigrants have spurred an increase in the number of newcomers who can afford to buy their own homes straight away, and many prefer outlying areas.

"Chinese and Indian newcomers can generally afford home ownership in Toronto's newer suburbs," says the report, titled Diversity and Concentration in Canadian Immigration.

"They tend to live in ethnic enclaves and, like the Southern European immigrants before them, have developed an extensive business and institutional presence."

This has forced COSTI and other social agencies to scrounge for the necessary funds to decentralize their services and open facilities well beyond downtown Toronto, making sure to locate near transit lines and along major driving routes, Mr. Calla said.

"People are really dependent on the car and the distances are quite large, so we've found it necessary to be sure that we place our centres in locations that are accessible," he said. "That's been working; our ESL [English as a second language] classes are full and our employment programs are busy."

The report's authors highlight the importance of this in their final paragraph, and warn that "failure to deliver these services, especially to newly arrived low-income immigrants, risks fuelling social tensions that are increasing in other jurisdictions, especially certain West European cities."

Immigrants choose the suburbs

Job migration, urban gentrification and changing immigration policy have spurred the move by immigrants to outlying areas.

WHERE CANADA'S RECENT IMMIGRANTS SETTLED

1965 TO 1971

Other: 55%

Toronto: 24%

Montreal 10%

Vancouver 6%

Hamilton: 3%

Winnipeg: 2%

2001 to 2006

Toronto: 40%

Other: 20%

Calgary: 5%

Ottawa/Gatineau: 6%

Vancouver: 14%

Montreal: 15%

SOURCE: UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, CENTRE FOR URBAN AND COMMUNITY STUDIES

"Chinese and Indian newcomers can generally afford home ownership in Toronto's newer suburbs," says the report, titled Diversity and Concentration in Canadian Immigration.

Can't speak for the Indians, but I think as many Chinese immigrants end up in suburban apartments and boarding houses in Scarborough as those newcomers who can afford home ownership (often in older neighbourhoods like Agincourt).

I'm not sure how this relates to this story, but one of my friends is an immigrant from Sri Lanka who came a few years ago. He came without his family, and lived with his cousins who had already moved here a long time. He got a job and saved up money, and then when he had enough, the rest of his family moved here and they bought a nice house and now they're a typical suburban family.

Again I'm not sure what relevance that anecdote has to this story but I found it kind of interesting.

Is it surprising that most immigrants settle in suburbs when they constitute the vast majority of the housing stock of this city (and all other Canadian cities), are the most available and affordable (up-front costs) and are also preferred by most Canadians?

We have to effect a cultural/economic shift on the ground before people who land on it can start changing their settlement/lifestyle patterns. Most only want to fit in.

Is it surprising that most immigrants settle in suburbs when they constitute the vast majority of the housing stock of this city (and all other Canadian cities), are the most available and affordable (up-front costs) and are also preferred by most Canadians? .

Why?

We have to effect a cultural/economic shift on the ground before people who land on it can start changing their settlement/lifestyle patterns. Most only want to fit in.

Why?

Is it surprising that most immigrants settle in suburbs when they constitute the vast majority of the housing stock of this city (and all other Canadian cities), are the most available and affordable (up-front costs) and are also preferred by most Canadians?

It is surprising, seeing that it is cheaper and easier to rent in Toronto than in the 905 region. It is also easier to find lower cost homes in some areas. Compare home prices of the Keele and Finch area with those in the 905.

I think it comes down to immigrants having a good work ethic and wanting to live closer to work and opportunity.

Housing is generally cheaper in the 905 and that's ultimately what new immigrants want - a house of their own.

It seems people never really factor in the costs of living in the suburbs when buying a house.

You make a good point:

Yes in general housing is cheaper in the suburbs but I can also guarantee you I can find houses in Toronto that are cheaper then anything in the suburbs:

i.e. Keele and Finch ... Don mills and Finch ... parts of Scarborough.

The point is though, when these immigrants come are they warned these areas are *bad* (not safe) and so they choose to avoid them?

Part of it can also be where they work, more of them might work in the suburbs.

You make a good point:

Yes in general housing is cheaper in the suburbs but I can also guarantee you I can find houses in Toronto that are cheaper then anything in the suburbs:

Those places have LOTS of new immigrants too.

Those are parts of Toronto that are in the suburbs.

It seems people never really factor in the costs of living in the suburbs when buying a house.

New immigrants can't really be blamed for not knowing. Most of them are all too happy to move out of their closet-sized apartments in Asia to their dream home in Toronto, and they will do anything to ensure that they will get that kind of lifestyle. Also, media outside of North America and Europe very rarely report on the problems of suburbanization... in fact, in places like China suburbanization is actually encouraged.

Maybe a booth should be set up at the Arrivals level of Pearson, complete with warning signs, brochures, and free DVDs, so that newcomers could be warned about the costs of living in the suburbs.

most of the new immigrants are from communities that are well established in the suburbs.

Like Indians in Brampton and the Chinese in Richmond Hill.

Places like Brampton and Milton are liked by immigrants, because you can get a dream home in a "new, nice" area for a fraction of getting a home in Midtown Toronto or in Oakville. The problem I see in the future is many have bought these homes with monster sized mortgages and work very hard and many jobs just to pay the payments.

I know many new arrivals, that come to Canada and in only 2 years they buy a new home in the edge of Brampton. However, the house is empty of furniture and they live a meager lifestyle until they get better off financially.

20 years ago, it was like at least 5-7 years before an immigrant bought a new house.

Mississauga new housing is now all condo and town homes. They appeal to a whole new crowd now.

The GTA is so un-multicultural nowadays. Go to Richmond Hill, and 90% of the people are Chinese. Go to Woodbridge and 90% of the people are Italian. Go to Brampton and 90% of the people are Indian I think? Over at Yonge and Eglinton, the locals are whiter than a fresh snowfall. Everyone gets along together which is fantastic, but different ethnic groups don't seem to want to live together.

Back