News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Check the maps carefully when Metrolinx does its next round of public consultations. There is no plan to extend electrification beyond Aldershot. This isn't even possible, absent an agreement with CN - Metrolinx doesn't own the ROW. For all practical purposes, the RER expansion will terminate at Aldershot.

I wouldn't put so much weight on the omission of any CN-based electrification from plans. I find it hard to believe that they would electrify only Union-Bramalea, stopping just short of the two largest trip generators on the line. My guess is they are hoping to strike a deal with CN, but are keeping it quiet. Including electrified CN lines in the publicized plan would give CN too much leverage - basically they would feel they could charge any price and Metrolinx would pay. If the CN segments are not publicized, Metrolinx has a lot more negotiating power since they could treat the deal as merely "nice to have", thereby creating the option of declining an unattractive offer.

Maybe this would be a good application for the UPX fleet in a few years....electrify UPX with new rolling stock rather than convert the DMU's, and cascade the DMU's to an express service to Niagara Region.

Hey! Hands off my Kitchener - Guelph shuttle trains!

Last edited:
Hey! Hands off my Kitchener - Guelph shuttle trains!
Now that's a good idea of trainset reuse!
One that corridor is fully grade separated, it would be a speedy service there.

The all-day GO trains would help, but I'd say a frequent rail shuttle between the two city centres, that didn't have to go through large unpopulated expanses -- would probably be far more efficient initially.

http://www.thespec.com/pan-am-games...aded-to-new-hamilton-go-station-ready-or-not/

Pan Am trains headed to new Hamilton GO station – ready or not

B821990416Z.1_20150609125805_000_G5T1GC0HC.2_Content.jpg

STATION

John Rennison,The Hamilton SpectatorGO Station construction looking toward Liuna Station from Bay Street.

nextplay/pausepre

Hamilton SpectatorBy Matthew Van Dongen
The province plans to deliver soccer fans to Hamilton's new GO Train station for next month's Pan Am Games whether the building is finished or not.
Construction continues on the station, platform, train tracks and elevators with just a month left before games celebrations kick off in the city July 9.
Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca reiterated Tuesday the $44-million-plus station will be open for business, noting Metrolinx on Monday released a scheduleof planned Pan Am service to the city starting July 11.
"I have visited the crews working hard on site daily to deliver this new transit station, and I have been assured by Metrolinx that this new GO Station on James Street North will be operational in time for the Games," he said in an e-mailed statement.
"Landscaping around the station, including the laying of sod, will continue to take place after the station enters service, but these finishing touches will not impact the operational status of this station."
That's good news – if hard to believe, said Mayor Fred Eisenberger.
That's the official word and I'm prepared to take them at their word," said the mayor, who noted in a morning speech how much construction remains to be done on the station. "When I drive by, I personally am hard pressed to see how that might happen, but I'm not a construction guy."
The mayor said he thought it was possible a basic platform could be made safe and opened for GO train visitors, if not the station building itself.
"I'm suspecting it's just a platform ... If they can get a train there, they can let people off, that's great."
Eisenberger added he didn't consider a fully open GO station "integral" to games planning as it might have been with the originally envisioned West Harbour stadium.
He noted most soccer players are now expected to be housed in a satellite athletes village at McMaster University – a relatively recent development – and provincial planners are arranging to shuttle visitors from official Games parking lots.
"I think traffic planning in general is well sorted out," he said.

Those are outdated photographs. I went by there by car and they've finished glassing in the whole structure, as well as the track has now finally reached the station.

I believe the north platform and station structure will be usable during the Games (if elevator might not be running yet). The platform is already solid concrete, and only needs a few things like yellow caution lines and signage, as well as lighting (temp or permanent).

Even though only 2 trains a day may reach there initially (excluding the planned PanAm and Supercrawl event trains), the expansion is funded through 2017 to include construction of two pedestrian overpasses and a 300-car parking garage, and we have the follow-on projects like extra track from Aldershot to West Harbour, and the $150M Stoney Creek project including extra track between West Harbour and Stoney Creek. So it is really a long-term project and not a PanAm flash-in-the-pan like some say it is.

Last edited:
This could go into a number of different threads as it effect them all.

Port Credit GO Station Area Master Plan Open House
Tuesday June 16
Time 6:30-8:30. Presentation at 7:00 pm
Clarke Memorial Hall, 161 Lakeshore W. You can use MT #23 from the GO Station to it or get off #14 and walk 1 block to it

Information provided to me Monday night, the 4th track plan for Mississauga will see 47 home torn down on the south side of the ROW between Etobicoke Creek and Port Credit new GO Station.

That is more than I thought considering there was a 4th track there at one time.

I know something will have to happen on the curve west of Long Branch and that where some house will be lost. The big issue to surface yet is what going to happen for the Long Branch Station as its too narrow to support 4 tracks in the first place and then the Browns Line Overpass will have to be 100% rebuilt to accommodate 4 tracks under it as well being higher for electrification.

I said we will be back in 10-15 years after the completion of the 3rd track during that EA stage and right on target. I can hear the bitching already going west of Port Credit for the 4th track as it was opposed during the 3rd track EA. In one spot, I would not be surprise Metrolinx buy that Townhouse complex, as it too close to the ROW now. You "MAY" have room for a sound wall there, but the vibration will be an issue.

Port Credit GO Station Area Master Plan Open House
Tuesday June 16
Time 6:30-8:30. Presentation at 7:00 pm
Clarke Memorial Hall, 161 Lakeshore W.

Did the presentation materials from this meeting make it on line anyplace?

For that matter, I can't find any mention of this on either the GO or Metrolinx web sites, but maybe I'm not looking where I should?

- Paul

I said we will be back in 10-15 years after the completion of the 3rd track during that EA stage and right on target. I can hear the bitching already going west of Port Credit for the 4th track as it was opposed during the 3rd track EA. In one spot, I would not be surprise Metrolinx buy that Townhouse complex, as it too close to the ROW now. You "MAY" have room for a sound wall there, but the vibration will be an issue.
How about vibration dampening for the railroad. e.g. Rubber-dampened concrete ties. That's been done before when vibration is an issue, especially in new subways like Vaughan TTC extension. I presume it's still cheaper to expropropriate (and even "geeeeee-nerously" so that everyone can buy even better houses in expensive Toronto market), but it's been done before for heavy rail.

Speaking of electricifation, I found documents that Positive Train Control is part of the RER electrification, and also an interesting piece in a government document that confirms Transport Canada's flexibility to allow non-FRA trainsets upon PTC introduction (like beautiful Euro style commuter trains).

Not interesting for most people except railfans, except that it means we could easily see European-style EMU commuter trains, at least for one GOtrain route (e.g. SmartTrack).

Last edited:
Information provided to me Monday night, the 4th track plan for Mississauga will see 47 home torn down on the south side of the ROW between Etobicoke Creek and Port Credit new GO Station.

That is more than I thought considering there was a 4th track there at one time.
I very recently nearly purchased a home in that area, which I'm pretty sure is one of the 47 that you mention. Feel like I just dodged a huge pain in the ass.

Whooo! A real GO train makes it into West Harbour.

They're getting close to making the station "usable" even if unfinished.

Metrolinx, Hurry up and add it as a stop to the Niagara seasonal train by 2016 :)
....too bad they cant do that this year as it is a dead end spur track without through service yet,

Whooo! A real GO train makes it into West Harbour.

They're getting close to making the station "usable" even if unfinished.

Metrolinx, Hurry up and add it as a stop to the Niagara seasonal train by 2016 :)
....too bad they cant do that this year as it is a dead end spur track without through service yet,

When are the Niagara trains gonna begin this year? A good chunk of the summer has already gone by and I still can't take the train.

When are the Niagara trains gonna begin this year? A good chunk of the summer has already gone by and I still can't take the train.
From link

With stops on the Lakeshore West line at Union Station, Exhibition, Port Credit, Oakville and Burlington GO Stations, and St. Catharines and Niagara Falls VIA Station. GO Bus connections to Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Trains run Fri / Sat / Sun / holidays: May 15-18, July 3-Sept 7, Oct 9-12

They also mention bike coaches. Did they always have bike coaches? I don't remember that.

I'm glad to see that this is moving forward:

Road realignment eyed near Markham GO train station

Metrolinx is seeking input on their Markham GO Station and Snider Drive realignment project.

The project would see the station extended to service 12-car trains; right now it only supports eight.

According to a presentation given during a public information centre, under the preferred design, the platform would be extended about 100 m to the south. Snider Drive and Bullock Road will need to be shifted approximately 40m to the west, Snider Drive will be reconfigured and the profile of Bullock Road will be raised by about 1.5m.

Brown said the project would require Metorlinx purchase two houses to relocate the road.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/5696038-road-realignment-eyed-near-markham-go-train-station/

From the public info session:

Allows for integration opportunities for future RER planning and for an
electrified double track.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/Markham_PIC1_201506.pdf

Back