News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Odd that in Appendix C they mention double-tracking the Milton line from Union to Meadowvale, and then from Meadowvale to Milton. I swear it's already double-tracked most of the way.

^ The Milton line had a Feasibility Study done last year that recommended all-day service to Meadowvale to be expanded to Milton as needed. That refers to a 4-track configuration (2 for GO, 2 for CP) from West Toronto Diamond instead of the current 2/3 tracks.

Not much to report on the 3rd track between PC and Oakville these days as the New #1 track is now in service as well the new mainline in the yard.

Still a lot of work work at Oakville and Clarkson to be done yet.

New bike shelters going up at Burlington in the transit area. No work on the bridge/walkway from the Platform to the Burlington parking Structure.

I am lost as to why Brampton Platform is still not ready to be open as a week ago.

Roof going up for the Dufferin Jog.

Odd that in Appendix C they mention double-tracking the Milton line from Union to Meadowvale, and then from Meadowvale to Milton. I swear it's already double-tracked most of the way.

I think it meant to say double track expansion compare to single track/3rd track since CP want 4 tracks in the first place.

The line is double track the full route and goes to single track west of Milton. There is 3 tracks at Kipling station as well between Confederation Dr and east of Mississauga Rd

Not much to report on the 3rd track between PC and Oakville these days as the New #1 track is now in service as well the new mainline in the yard.

Still a lot of work work at Oakville and Clarkson to be done yet.

New bike shelters going up at Burlington in the transit area. No work on the bridge/walkway from the Platform to the Burlington parking Structure.

I am lost as to why Brampton Platform is still not ready to be open as a week ago.

Roof going up for the Dufferin Jog.

Thanks for the update, drum.

Well, there you have it folks. That is the latest news on the regional transit front from one of the largest metropolitan regions in the G8, with a metropolitan economy of $325 billion and a population growth of 100,000 people per year.

Well, there you have it folks. That is the latest news on the regional transit front from one of the largest metropolitan regions in the G8, with a metropolitan economy of $325 billion and a population growth of 100,000 people per year.

Seems fine to me for a random 6-week period; particularly since a good chunk of focus right now is design work for the Georgetown corridor and Union Station neither of which is a small project.

Union Station Revitalization Project - Trainshed roofing is currently being replaced and trackwork in USRC East by Kensington Market is almost complete (expanded track capacity and higher speed switches).
West Toronto Diamond Grade Separation - Slowed down due to noise, taken extra rail traffic off corridor onto bus for extra working time.
Georgetown South Project - Contract Admin contracts being issued recently as well as a batch of rail-road grade seperations.

Davenport Diamond Grade Separation - full steam ahead
GO Transit Rail Service Expansion to Bowmanville - set to proceed, needs to be added to the capital plan after final EA approval.
East Regional Bus Maintenance and Storage Facility - being designed and will be built in advance of service to Bowmanville.

Niagara Peninsula rail service expansion - EA is proceeding, mid-pen highway was cancelled.
Railway Bridge Replacements - Stouffville Corridor - will proceed to allow full-day service to Unionville.

Lots of little projects going on, like parking lot expansions and PRESTO, but I don't really keep track of them all unless I'm interested in the station area.

Not quite. The project focused on the grade separation has been cancelled in favour of a larger scale project looking at the whole rail corridor including the creation of a St.Clair station but the EA process won't even start until 2012. It is an exciting project though, especially when combined with the new Sheppard West subway/GO station.

Union Station Revitalization Project - Trainshed roofing is currently being replaced and trackwork in USRC East by Kensington Market is almost complete (expanded track capacity and higher speed switches).
West Toronto Diamond Grade Separation - Slowed down due to noise, taken extra rail traffic off corridor onto bus for extra working time.
Georgetown South Project - Contract Admin contracts being issued recently as well as a batch of rail-road grade seperations.

GO Transit Rail Service Expansion to Bowmanville - set to proceed, needs to be added to the capital plan after final EA approval.
East Regional Bus Maintenance and Storage Facility - being designed and will be built in advance of service to Bowmanville.

Niagara Peninsula rail service expansion - EA is proceeding, mid-pen highway was cancelled.
Railway Bridge Replacements - Stouffville Corridor - will proceed to allow full-day service to Unionville.

Lots of little projects going on, like parking lot expansions and PRESTO, but I don't really keep track of them all unless I'm interested in the station area.

Oh, there's lots in the pipeline - don't get me wrong - but I don't count anything as final until I see sod being turned. In that respect, we are not exactly storming out of the gates.

Little stuff is great, and I applaud efforts to build bike facilities and redo the roof of Union Station (something that is not the same as a capacity improvement, but needed nonetheless). But a region that is growing so quickly and contributes so much to the Canadian economy deserves more than piecemeal improvements to an already-overloaded system.

Seems fine to me for a random 6-week period

A time window is not really relevant in measuring the quantity of construction projects. If I expanded the window, it would still be the same number of projects (i.e. a very small number given the importance of transportation to a very important region) that are being undertaken.

Last edited:
In February there will be subway tunnel underway on the University line, Sheppard LRT, Union Station shed, Union Station basement, Union station subway, Queen Bridge, Brock Bridge, Bloor Bridge, Dupont Bridge, Lansdowne Bridge, West Toronto Grade Separation, Humber Bridge, Weston Road Bridge, Denison Road underpass, Strachan bridge, Weston tunnel and grade separation, Weston GO station, Credit Bridge, Dufferin Station Modernization, and the Kipling Station Enlargement all under construction at the same time. In addition we will have received the first of the new subway vehicles. Things have been slow getting started but the contracts are out and things are starting to kick into high gear.

I noticed that next week is a big week on the West Toronto Diamond project. They are pulling up part of the CP line which runs west to north and should have the number of piles remaining to below the 100 mark. I can't wait to see this piling phase completed so they can move on with the construction progress you can see.

Doesn't construction for the Eglinton LRT portals start in February as well? Pape Station modernization is well underway as well, with lots of hoarding on the platform, and digging around the station.

Question

In February there will be subway tunnel underway on the University line, Sheppard LRT, Union Station shed, Union Station basement, Union station subway, Queen Bridge, Brock Bridge, Bloor Bridge, Dupont Bridge, Lansdowne Bridge, West Toronto Grade Separation, Humber Bridge, Weston Road Bridge, Denison Road underpass, Strachan bridge, Weston tunnel and grade separation, Weston GO station, Credit Bridge, Dufferin Station Modernization, and the Kipling Station Enlargement all under construction at the same time. In addition we will have received the first of the new subway vehicles. Things have been slow getting started but the contracts are out and things are starting to kick into high gear.

I noticed that next week is a big week on the West Toronto Diamond project. They are pulling up part of the CP line which runs west to north and should have the number of piles remaining to below the 100 mark. I can't wait to see this piling phase completed so they can move on with the construction progress you can see.

That's a great list! Thanks for posting it. In a related note, is there an EA underway for the "Humber Flyunder" where the GO Milton line will go under the CP Galt sub?

There are plans for Milton EAs but I have yet to see any signs that they actually started which normally means they haven't gotten far since public announcements are an important part of the EA process.

Doesn't construction for the Eglinton LRT portals start in February as well? Pape Station modernization is well underway as well, with lots of hoarding on the platform, and digging around the station.

I didn't include the Eglinton LRT portals because it is prep-work until the boring machines arrive. I didn't know that Pape was underway... I figured it was stalled like many a TTC project. Any pics of the construction going on?

I didn't know that Pape was underway... I figured it was stalled like many a TTC project. Any pics of the construction going on?
Construction started in September 2009; we have a thread on the subject. http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?4332-TTC-Pape-Station-Renovation

Heavy-duty digging and building construction didn't start until this spring though.

I've never seen a photo ... not much to see yet except hoarding ... and some holes and missing walls at ground surface. And a temporary Tim Hortons store, in a trailer.

Back