News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Does anyone have details of the construction in progress at Exhibition station? At first I thought they were just replacing and upgrading the signal system for the existing four tracks. A few days ago I noticed a new signal bridge west of the station that has a row of signals for a new fifth track. It looks like it will be installed north of the existing four tracks and run on the north side of the Exhibition Station westbound platform. There are already five tracks to the east of Exhibition, so it looks like they are just extending this configuration to the west side of the station. Some excavation, regrading and utility relocation is already happening on the north side of the westbound platform.

But! This will sever access between Exhibition Station and Atlantic Avenue, unless they build a new tunnel, which does not seem to be happening. So I was wondering if anyone knows the full plans for the area.

Does anyone have details of the construction in progress at Exhibition station? At first I thought they were just replacing and upgrading the signal system for the existing four tracks. A few days ago I noticed a new signal bridge west of the station that has a row of signals for a new fifth track. It looks like it will be installed north of the existing four tracks and run on the north side of the Exhibition Station westbound platform. There are already five tracks to the east of Exhibition, so it looks like they are just extending this configuration to the west side of the station. Some excavation, regrading and utility relocation is already happening on the north side of the westbound platform.

But! This will sever access between Exhibition Station and Atlantic Avenue, unless they build a new tunnel, which does not seem to be happening. So I was wondering if anyone knows the full plans for the area.

They are adding a 5th track at Exhibition Station with room for a 6th one.

A new tunnel under the 5th track will be built with an elevator on the north side.

West of the Exhibition Station, there is enough room for 7 tracks. All the bridges will have to be rebuilt for the extra tracks.

This is Lakeshore West additional track. Close to Union stations things can get a little backed up at times so this allows GO trains stopping at Exhibition to keep clear of trains coming out of Union. There is a plan to eventually add an additional track all the way to the Mimico Yard which could be seen on EA documents for the Waterfront West LRT through the area. Currently there is often VIA trains operating in reverse through the are which go slower than normal since a spotter on a radio relays track conditions to the engineer.

All of the above is true. They're doing a lot of utility work at the bottom of Atlantic Avenue, probably to prepare for the new tunnel. Does the additional capacity mean that more rush-hour trains will be stopping at Exhibition?

Hopefully the new trackwork will provide incentive to do some weed-killing; the platform-serving tracks are clean, but the weeds in the through tracks are almost as high as the safety fences.

The backward move from TMC to Union Station does seem rather awkward. It is quite good for railfanning, though; I was waiting for my train around 8:30 Thursday night and The Canadian went by on its way to board at Union Station.

All of the above is true. They're doing a lot of utility work at the bottom of Atlantic Avenue, probably to prepare for the new tunnel. Does the additional capacity mean that more rush-hour trains will be stopping at Exhibition?

Hopefully the new trackwork will provide incentive to do some weed-killing; the platform-serving tracks are clean, but the weeds in the through tracks are almost as high as the safety fences.

The backward move from TMC to Union Station does seem rather awkward. It is quite good for railfanning, though; I was waiting for my train around 8:30 Thursday night and The Canadian went by on its way to board at Union Station.

CN/AECON are doing some 'Western Lead Extension' work, which includes utility relocates. GO is taking the opertunity to extend the central/north platform from a 4.9m side platform to a 7.4m island platform, as well as the tunnel mentioned and an underground snowmelting system.

Exhibitions loading is not really 'rush related', but 'event related', so I wouldn't expect an increased percentage of peak stops there.

That's a great list! Thanks for posting it. In a related note, is there an EA underway for the "Humber Flyunder" where the GO Milton line will go under the CP Galt sub?
There was a tender call for the Milton TPAP EA in July/August. No announcement of the award yet. I believe the EA was stalled for a year with the budget cutbacks and some problems with the 2009 Feasibility Study (missing critical elements that were later added to 'complete' the project).
Google Cached Link

Not really a construction project but Metrolinx wants to purchase between 36 - 161 new bilevels in the next 10 years.
RFI posted here
Is there any chance Bombardier doesn't get this, with the Cancon requirements?

The contract will go to the lowest bidder, but that will include the lowest combined purchase and maintenance costs. When you consider how much more expensive it would be to operate a duplicate set of maintenance parts and procedures, a non-Bombardier bidder would have to pretty much give the cars away for free in order to be the lowest bidder.

Does anyone know who is funding for the GO Transit's Stouffville rail overpass at the Agincourt GO station on Sheppard? Is it from funds for the Sheppard East LRT or is it from GO funds or a combination? The reason that I ask is that this line could use some more funds to make grade seperated crossings at Progress Ave. and on Danforth Rd. near the Midland intersection. This investment would increase the speed, reliability and safety for this line.

Last edited:
I recall reading that GO was funding something like 10-15% and Transit City the rest.

Edit: 15%

Last edited:

Back