News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The elevators. You need the south one as it a 2 block trip for accessibilty people if you start today.

Just asking something that crossed my mind........is there some sort of problem with the electricals at the Brampton station.....perhaps unrelated, but the elevators are not working and the Presto roll out seems to have fallen into an abyss. It is some time ago that the Mt. Pleasant, Malton, Georgetown, etc stations went live and now the Presto web page has changed the "All Georgetown" stations roll out from "Fall 2010" (which only has days to run) to "December 2010/January 2011"....strange.

It may be unrelated but it just seems to me that all the work at Brampton is done and ready except the elevators and Presto.......both need power....so making a leap of logic perhaps. The elevators look like they are physcally "in" but they are roped off and no work seems to be happening.

Any idea on what is holding up these two last bits?

Catcher_of_cats- I am glad for all these studies but I hope that GO just concentrates on improving the James St. Station in Hamilton first and leave the expansion to Grimbsy and St. Catharines for the long-term future plans. VIA I think is adequate for somewhere like St. Catharines- it really isn't a bedroom community of Toronto. Their is a lot of two-way traffic between Toronto and the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area. I would like to see all day two way service from the James St. Station in downtown Hamilton and Union Station. Hopefully this James St. GO Station gets a direct link with one of the planned LRT lines in Hamilton.

Metrolinx Board Meeting in January

The Metrolinx Board of Directors will meet on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 to review the findings of the electrification study for the GO rail network, and to put forward a recommendation to the Province of Ontario based on those findings.
The report will be released publicly in mid-January, and will outline the findings based on the first comprehensive study carried out to examine electrification of the entire GO Transit rail system and the future airport rail link.
The agenda for the January meeting will be available online prior to the meeting.

Mark van der Woerd
On behalf of the GO Transit Electrification Study Team
Email: estudy@metrolinx.com
515 Consumers Road
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z2
Fax (416) 536-3453
Visit our website: http://www.gotransit.com/estudy
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Had a look at the elevators for the Brampton Station on Dec 24 and they looked like they could be in service in Jan.

Had a look at the elevators for the Brampton Station on Dec 24 and they looked like they could be in service in Jan.

Yeah!!!! I look at them ocassionally and (to my uneducated eye) they haven't looked much different for a while...but that is good news....a lot has been done at Brampton....it looks great (the south side entrence actually looks like a rail station now rather than a tunnel to nowhere).....it is a shame that it is just sitting there not being used!

I see Dineen Contruction has started to set up their construction trailer and site to build the new walkway from the 3rd level parking structure to the existing platforms for Burlington.

It is only 6 months behind schedule now.

More steel roofs are ready to be install at Clarkson.

Catcher_of_cats- I am glad for all these studies but I hope that GO just concentrates on improving the James St. Station in Hamilton first and leave the expansion to Grimbsy and St. Catharines for the long-term future plans. VIA I think is adequate for somewhere like St. Catharines- it really isn't a bedroom community of Toronto.
I would replace the current VIA regional service with the same number of GO trains. The Buffalo-New York trains should be precleared at Union with US CBP/HS staff shuttling from the Island Airport to Union to do the outward processing.

It would have an impact on passengers for intermediate and connecting (from Windsor/London side) stations though - I wonder what the numbers of those are. Using GO to bring connecting passengers to NF NY would cause GO to fall under federal regulation - political nonstarter I suspect.

Any word on when the new platforms at Brampton and Malton will be used? I was at the Brampton GO station today and it looks finished.

Are they constructing a new track South of the GO Willowbrook yard? This picture would seem to suggest that.

Those are tracks that pass through the VIA side of the yard.
I think it is just a rebuild of track and a replacement/modernization of the signal system.
If it's more than that, I'm sure one of the resident experts will chime in here soon.

Last edited:
What would lead you to believe it is not a new mainline track? Why realign the track to be right up against the mainline and prepare a base the same depth as the mainline? It seems like a lot of effort for would would normally involve replacing old ties and a rail here or there to maintain an existing track.

What would lead you to believe it is not a new mainline track? Why realign the track to be right up against the mainline and prepare a base the same depth as the mainline? It seems like a lot of effort for would would normally involve replacing old ties and a rail here or there to maintain an existing track.

Doesn't that track go through a VIA shed?

Back